hotlips69

New 3Gb/Sec Raptor?

With the imminent arrival on our shelves of the new NForce4 range of motherboards, it seems logical that most of the HD manufacturers are going to want to capitalize on this new, faster SATA speed suddenly available to them.

I've been wondering for months why Western Digital have been so quiet about the Raptor...I assume that they have something special up their sleeve with this new standard to blow the opposition out of the water, i.e. a new FASTER Raptor!

Wouldn't this be good :rolleyes:

hotlips, you need to do some serious reading...

What my fellow community member was trying to convey is that the the hard drive speed is still much slower than the bus. So even if the new SATA bus was 3Gb/second it wouldn't make any real difference. Now one with more cache or maybe a 15K RPM monster would be able to make more use of the bus but still the limit is mostly the hard drive.

Let me take what they are saying a little further.

The best hard drive out there right now can only push about 80MB/s, or 80,000,000 bytes per second. And that’s only for a limited amount of time.

The technology has a long way to go before a hard drive can move 3,000,000,000 bytes per second.

Make since?

It's 3 Gb/sec, not 3 GB/sec. That comes to 375,000,000 bytes per second. Current 80 GB platters manage maybe 70 MB/sec. Since transfer rate increases with the square root of areal density, we won't be looking at 375 GB/sec until we have 2 TB platters. In other words, never. I don't believe magnetic storage can get much above 1 TB per platter, if that. Solid state storage is the only hope for being able to take advantage of transfer rates like that.

Since transfer rate increases with the square root of areal density, we won't be looking at 375 GB/sec until we have 2 TB platters.

That should read 375 MB/sec, not GB/sec.

People People People! Why are you all fretting over areal density and connectors. The real deal that makes hdd go is the CPU. If the cpu cannot move the data (cuz it has other things to do), then forget ever geting close to that. Only with multiple hdds (at least 6 - absolute min), can one achieve really any monster speeds (above 100 mega bytes per sec.). So until the cpu's and RAM can move more data per second, forget hdd's to achieve this goal!!!...

SCSA

P.S. keeping things simple, the KIS principle, it better than more complex. THe more complex, the more murphy's LAW applies!!!...

Greenhawk - SATA controllers are usually integrated into the motherboard, meaning they don't use the 'external' PCI bus and can generally connect at the full speed of the interface, or at least 266 MB/s (for the earliest integrated controllers).

As for the 3 Gb/s Raptor, it isn't going to happen in the immediate future. The only reason WD would release a new Raptor is to increase size or to support NCQ, and there's nothing forcing them to do so at present because there is no direct competition to the Raptor.