Sign in to follow this  
Pepsione1

Yet another failure in raid0 setup. Please help me.....

I can image what it would be like to create two raid0 array for my system. Get a Promise Fasttrak100 TX4 and RMA my IBM hds. Then use IBM for OS array and the Maxtor for Data array. Now, that would be crazy fast.

Hehe, but having 180gig of storage seems a little crazy even for me.

VE is better off with 2 seperate drives.  The only reason that people "used to" use RAID 0 for VE is that the capture TR used to exceed the Write TR of the drive, resulting in dropped frames.  Nowadays, most 7200rpm drives can cap quite well without dropping frames.

Actually, ANY current generation 5,400 RPM IDE drive can do capture without dropped frames...

Drives have now gotten plenty fast... :)

As for two seperate drives, if you're doing compression on the stream, this isn't needed either. The compression takes so much CPU power that the speed of the data stream is far lower than the speed of any current drive.

If you're doing edits to uncompressed video to put back out to tape, then yes you need two seperate drives as STR speed is almost always the limiting factor for that.

PS...I believe that these conclusions have been reached by the community hundreds of times.  Try the "Search" function in the upper right.

Yes, but people keep asking.

This is why I offered several months ago to put this kind of info in a FAQ. This way, everyone could just reply, "look in the reference section", cause it would be there.

Jason

Ok, thanks.  I think i'll just use two seperate drives from now on.

oh, this is kinda stupid, after spending so many hours, I ended up not using raid.    :lol:

Don't feel bad, we've all been there... :)

So everyone agrees that if a file needs to be unzipped, its better to download to the first drive and unzipped to the second.  Rather than having the file download to the first and unzipped to the first.  And this is probably true too for all other hd intentsive tasks right? ie. swap file, abobe ps temporary space and download accelerator temporary files.

Yes, this has been settled, there is no situation where any of that would be faster on a single RAID 0 array rather than between two single drives...

Jason

Wow, I can't believe how fast you responded to my questions jehh. Thanks for all the support.

Now, all i need to do is find the instructions to revert the controller back to a normal Ultra66 card. I think all I need to do flash the bios first and then unsolder the resistor. Anyone tried this before?

Wow, I can't believe how fast you responded to my questions jehh.  Thanks for all the support. 

Now, all i need to do is find the instructions to revert the controller back to a normal Ultra66 card.  I think all I need to do flash the bios first and then unsolder the resistor.  Anyone tried this before?

Actually, you should be able to use it as is, as a normal controller. Just don't define any arrays in the BIOS setup screen. That is what I did with my pair of CMD controllers...

Jason

But then the "array not defined" screen would always pop up during boot up. It gets stuck there until I press "ESC". And the RAID bios is just too slow at boot up (i think there isn't any IDE channel scanning screen for the plain Ultra66 card, I can't remember).

Kinda off topic. But I want to keep application off the OS drive, how can this be done? I hate having to tell win2k that default directory is E:Program Files instead of C:Program Files

Also, would I run into any problem by doing this. Such as when an application is calling for a system file which it think would be in "systme32" by default when in fact the file can only be found by using "C:winntsystem32"

I am using win2k server. anyone tried this before? Is there some sort of registry mod for this sort of stuff?

Leave C:Program Files alone, but when you install programs, just point them to another drive and folder...

Windows takes care of the rest...

Jason

But then the "array not defined" screen would always pop up during boot up.  It gets stuck there until I press "ESC".  And the RAID bios is just too slow at boot up (i think there isn't any IDE channel scanning screen for the plain Ultra66 card, I can't remember).

With my Promise RAID controller, I set the single drives up as RAID 0 arrays unto themselves. Sounds weird but it works just fine.

You may have to connect one drive at a time while defining the arrays, but after that it should be okay.

I finally have everything in working order again this morning. I chose to use the hd as single drives with each of them being master on their own channel. I reverted back the fasttrak66 to an ultra66 with the latest bios but uses default driver provided by microsoft (will explain later). Installed win2k server again and hooked the two ibm to the onboard udma33 channels (master & one drive per channel). Then I did some benchmarking in win2k on one of the still blank maxtor. Created partitions for the rest of the space on both drives (10g +50g, 60g) all using ntfs with default cluster sizes. At last, I copied all the files from the ibm drives back to the maxtors. Since all drives had their own channel and they were all in master mode. I decided I can copy and paste on all four drives simutaneously. (Promise Ultra66 CH1 to onboard UDMA33 CH1, Promise Ultra66 CH2 to onboard UDMA33 CH2). I used two windows explorer to do this. The whole process took 1 hour and 10 mins. There was about 56.0 gig of data so the average was around 13.3mb/s. (not so good right?) Weird thing I noticed while copy&pasting was how much ram the system used. I had 384mb of ram and it used all of them. But this only happens either when it copies a large file or a bunch of small files. Can anyone explain this?

Finally after 3 days of fiddling around with the controller and hours of testing, I am glad this is over with at last.

For some reason the driver that I downloaded from promise's website for win2k does not work in win2k. I would say "driver is not written for win2k" and it would uninstall the driver at the first boot up after win2k is installed. That's why I am using the microsoft driver for now until i find out why. The card has the latest bios already.

Well, that's the end of this chapter. Thanks for all the help everyone has given.

Here are the benchmark results:

1. Maxtor hd, blank

1.jpg

2. Maxtor hd, win2k installed on 10gig partition, rest of the drive is blank

2.jpg

3. IBM hd, less then 5% free space, NTFS partitions on it

3.jpg

4. Maxtor hd, win2k installed on 10gig partition, rest of the drive is blank

4.jpg

5. IBM hd, less then 5% free space, NTFS partitions on it

5.jpg

I just found out how to get the pictures to show up. you have to hit "post reply", without typing anything, hit "back" in your IE. brower. Then all the pictures will show up properly.

Weird... anyone know why?

Geocities doesn't allow external direct linking to images. The pictures only show up for you because they are already in your browser cache.

You can get GeoCities to allow this, but you have to pay for it, $8.95 a month...

Jason