jtr1962

Cell phone jammers gaining popularity

It seems that since so many people lack common sense about when using cell phones is inappropriate some public places have installed cell-phone jammers. I only hope it catches on. Weddings, places of worship, public transportation, and stores are a few places where cell phone use is totally uncalled for. If it's technologically possible all cars should be required to have jammers which are in operation whenever the vehicle is in motion, and which only affect phones within the vehicle.

It's no secret that I can't stand the things, and only see them as necessary for a very small percentage of the population. For the rest, it's an adult equivalent of a pacifier. Perhaps if more people exercised proper manners (i.e. don't shout into the phone two inches from my ear), and didn't use them at all in inappropriate places and times I would feel differently. Then again, if people had common sense and consideration for others we wouldn't need laws.

As for these devices currently being illegal in the US and most Western countries, that can be changed if enough people want it to be. I'm writing to my Congressperson on the issue. I especially think jammers in cars are a good idea, or perhaps fixing the signal so that you can only get reception on the shoulder of the road, and not in the traffic lanes.

I dont think jammers can be that localized.

I think it would be ok, if there where a way to prevent incomming calls, but still allow out going calls... This way in an emergency, poeple can still make contact with authorities or whomever is needed.

If it's technologically possible all cars should be required to have jammers which are in operation whenever the vehicle is in motion, and which only affect phones within the vehicle.

I especially think jammers in cars are a good idea, or perhaps fixing the signal so that you can only get reception on the shoulder of the road, and not in the traffic lanes.

Perhaps we should ban radios in all moving vehicles, as well as CD players, MP3 players and we should also ban drive thru windows in restaurants.

While I agree with the basic principle of the jammers in theatres, restaurants, and public transportation I don't think they should be put in cars.

ya, I nearly hit some idiot twice, in 2 blocks, while he ate his burger...

we came to a corner, he cut me off to turn... then he changed lanes suddenly and cut me off again... I nearly chased the stupid bastard down, for some road side education.

While I agree with the basic principle of the jammers in theatres, restaurants, and public transportation I don't think they should be put in cars.

It's already been proven that distraction due to cell phone use in cars causes accidents. That's the reason for my suggestion to jam them while the car is in motion. And radios, MP3 players, and CD players also represent distractions, although not to the same extent as talking on a phone because you're not interacting with them. Eating while driving is another very dangerous thing that causes accidents, and if there were an easy way to legislate away that behavoir it wouldn't be a bad thing. However, I don't see how that can be enforced. I don't really see how the current ban on talking while driving can be enforced either. We just need to come up with technological solutions which either make it impossible to drive and talk on the phone, or which let the car drive itself so there is no driver. Take your pick. My mom went through hell due to a car accident caused by a bitch who was yapping away and ran a red light. Cell phones and driving don't mix. If you need help you pull over, stop, and call. If you just want to call a friend to talk about nonsense, wait until you get wherever you're going. The conversation isn't that important that it can't wait a few hours, or even days. In fact, I've sometimes returned calls six months after the fact with no harm done. Unless you're an MD or a leader of some sort, very few things can't wait.

Amazing how driving is a privilege, yet the public feels they have a right to do virtually anything they choose within the confines of their automobile regardless of how it affects others. Why someone should consider their "right" to bullshit while driving more important than the safety of others shows how selfish we as a society have gotten. Talking and driving is sociopathethic behavoir no different than pointing a loaded pistol at someone. The fact that you may not intend to shoot the pistol, or perhaps it may go off by accident, doesn't mean that you won't be charged with a crime.

Talking while driving is in no way the same as pointing a loaded gun at someone...

I can talk on the phone while driving, but some poeple cant... I;ll tell poeple to hang on for a sec, if something is going on around me, or I'll call them back when I get to where ever Iam going, if road conditions arent so good.

The difference here is that you use common sense. Most people either lack it or don't use it. If they did we wouldn't need laws. And most people are marginal drivers to begin with even under ideal conditions. The last thing they need is a phone call. While I can agree that talking on a phone on an empty highway isn't dangerous sometimes, talking while in city traffic with many vehicles, signals, and pedestrians always is. A person may be lucky for a while, but few people can multitask on that level. Even if you can, you're certainly safer not talking on the phone under those conditions. I really don't think even listening to music is the best thing to do while driving even though it's not quite in the same league as talking or drinking while driving. A good part of driving safety is hearing the vehicles around you (and I don't mean just their horns). With music playing you obviously have greater difficulty doing so. Driving while fatigued is another bad thing. In fact, more states are making laws against it. As with the cell phone laws, enforcement is difficult.

DWI and talking while driving are simply different degrees of the same thing. They both impair your ability to control your vehicle. That's why I drew an analogy to pointing a loaded gun.

I think they just need to take more people's drivers licenses away for these type of violations. Then people might start to treat driving like a privilege and pay more attention when on the road.

I think they just need to take more people's drivers licenses away for these type of violations.  Then people might start to treat driving like a privilege and pay more attention when on the road.

no, a big fine.

We cant stop drunks from driving without a licence now, you want take it away from more poeple? isnt going to work.

The real threat to having people with cell phones driving is:

Friends (especially women) that call you while they are in the car driving and "just want to talk." This is their unproductive time, and they seek to make YOU equally unproductive while they get where they are going. This needs to be outlawed, and fast.

Future Shock

What would be really cool is if the cell towers could detect when you are moving say above 10mph and then block incoming/outgoing calls. No one would be able to talk while driving regardless. They have to implement some sort of location based thing in the cell phones nowadays for E911, correct? Is this possible with current technology?

What happened to a lady in ontario... She took her car to a mechanic, who worked on it, he then took it around the block to make sure he fixed the problem. He got pulled over... Driving without a licence, the police took the car, and sold it...

Iam all for buger jamming. Cut me off, because your eating a burger, I get to jam it down your throught...

What would be really cool is if the cell towers could detect when you are moving say above 10mph and then block incoming/outgoing calls.  No one would be able to talk while driving regardless.  They have to implement some sort of location based thing in the cell phones nowadays for E911, correct?  Is this possible with current technology?

I know they can do it with GPS. Somebody who made a model of the Northeast Corridor for MS Train Simulator used their GPS to determine how fast the train was going in different portions of the route so as to obtain the speed limits. Depending upon how accurately, and more importantly, how rapidly, location can be determined you might be able to do the same thing with cell phones. I'm dubious though if it's possible to pinpoint location to within more than a few tens of meters with cell phone towers, so this might not work. What might work is to compute the Doppler shift and convert to speed, but at the very low speeds (relative to light speed anyway) we're talking about you would need a very accurate time reference in each cell tower.

It's probably easier to just have a device in each car which cuts off the phone above a certain speed. Another alternative, which I've discussed producing with a friend, is to gently apply the car brakes when you detect an active cell phone in the car. The problems I'm having with this device (besides that I know little about designing RF circuits) is the specific signal to look for to prevent false positives, and also how to interface with the car's brakes. Some newer cars actually have an electronic input that can apply the brakes, many require some sort of retrofit. And then how much to apply the brake so that the driver has a chance to get off the road without getting rear ended, and also an automatic reset to disengage the brakes if the driver hangs up before the car stops. If this could be done, it would be a good way of preventing cell phone use when in motion without employing jammers. I'm dubious at this stage if such a device can be made easily or cheaply. At this point, it's in the concept stage where it will likely remain. Maybe shutting off the engine instead of applying the brake is a more easily implemented and safer solution. The speed dependent cell phone jammer is actually the easiest solution to implement of the ones being discussed.

I like Occupant's idea of a burger jammer. :D

The RF detector to apply breaks is a bad idea. Driving in icy conditions, a (false or not) positive could quickly put a car out of control and get somebody killed.

It'll take years for GPS to be nation wide, and it'll take even more years for all cell phones to have it. the only thing we can do, is poeple who have accidents on the phone, get charged with driving with undue care and attention, they pay the fine, and the insurance rates double.

It'll take years for GPS to be nation wide.

Sorry, it is already planet wide.

What is GPS?

Not on cell phone towers... It'll take some time, to get the technology rolled out now... They're just discussing it here now, for 911 operators...

[... snip ...] It's no secret that I can't stand the things, and only see them as necessary for a very small percentage of the population.  For the rest, it's an adult equivalent of a pacifier. [... snip ...]

Hehehe, whatever you do don't come to Japan! I see people sending email from their phones while driving and riding bikes... At least you can keep your eyes on the road while talking.

Ian

they used to have a car insurance add, with poeple doing all the stupid things while driving... Like looking for a cassette tape on the floor of the car, cooking, reading the newspaper, etc... Funny series of ads.

This was a great thread to read. I can't stand how rude people are with their cell phones. I would say I hate all cell phones, but that would be like someone hating guns for killing people.

Holding up a line in the grocery store... getting a call in a movie theater. Taking a call while at dinner with friends.. it all makes me so mad. Cell phones bring out the rudeness in rude people.

Kids with cell phones. Do you think they really care about "minutes" or social etiquette while using them? Now adays you see ~8 year old kids everywhere with cells. Makes me sick.

I hate to be sexist, but I can totally relate to women calling each other simply because they are bored. I love my woman, but every break she has at work she busts out that damn cell phone and calls one of her 10,000 g/f's who also have a cell. The entire drive home from work, she is on the phone. (no I don’t work with her) 5 years ago when I would drive home, I would see an occasional person on their phone. Now its EVERYONE. I work in an area with a lot of cooperate office and medical buildings, it seems that not owning a cell is like not owning a car.

I would LOVE to get one of those jammers and somehow attach it to my car. Muhhaha!

You know, there was something in the news about a church installing one of them Or that they wanted too or something… But anyways, my first, knee-jerk reaction to it was, “good for them, its about time.†But then I got to thinking, why would they have too? Why would you have to jam someone’s cell phone in a church?

As far as jamming goes, you have to consider child care/family issues. Granted child care and family emergences where handled fine with adequate efficiency before cell phones came about, but I could see the civil rights activists kicking up a storm.

For me, my cell phone is a bit of a pacifier. Granted, my job requires me, in so many uncertain terms, to have a cell phone, I admit I get a little edge when I forget it at home. Its frustrating to not be able to call my place of work while I’m away from a land line. I have been known to be late for work because I had to turn around to go back home and get it. That doesnt happen much though. I take precautions to insure I don’t forget.

However, I still carry it when I’m off work. But I hardly ever take it into stores. The only exception is if I go into Fry’s or something and I need pricing research from someone in front of a computer, or I need to call someone to see if they want in on some special. This will stop when I get a wireless Internet capably PDA. I always turn it off in meetings. But I do talk on it while I’m driving. I never bring it into the movies unless I have a specific reason. And that reason isn’t so my friends can call me. When it does go off I excuse my self from the theater. I am completely appalled when someone yacks in the grocery store or when it goes off in a meeting. I strait glare at someone when their phone gose off in meetings. I give them that steely-eyed killer stare like, “I would throat-punch you if I wouldn’t go to jail for it,†I HATE it when people talke in meetings or presintations. It is such a pet peev for me...

they used to have a car insurance add, with poeple doing all the stupid things while driving... Like looking for a cassette tape on the floor of the car, cooking, reading the newspaper, etc... Funny series of ads.

cooking... :lol:

ya, I nearly hit some idiot twice, in 2 blocks, while he ate his burger...

we came to a corner, he cut me off to turn... then he changed lanes suddenly and cut me off again... I nearly chased the stupid bastard down, for some road side education.

HEY! That was me...

j/k ;)

Kids with cell phones.  Do you think they really care about "minutes" or social etiquette while using them?  Now adays you see ~8 year old kids everywhere with cells.  Makes me sick.

It bothers me that kids even have cell phones. Why on earth do they need them? Previous kids got along just fine without them. Now all of a sudden they're a necessity? Every time I see a kid on a cell phone I feel like ramming the thing down their throat, especially when they have a designer phone with "cute" colors. There's a little thing called trust which should exist between a parent and child. Raise the child properly, and you can trust that they'll do the right things without you keeping tabs on them. Cell phones are merely an electronic leash.

I hate to be sexist, but I can totally relate to women calling each other simply because they are bored.

It never ceases to amaze me how a good portion of females of all ages can simply not shut up. It's not sexist to say so-it's the truth. And with cell phones becoming nearly universal, a lot of guys are starting to give them competition.

Just to keep this fair and balanced, I've known my share of females who were even less talkative than I am, and that's saying a lot. Actually, that's the only kind I like to be around, or would consider dating. I just can't stand yapping away about nothing. I can occasionally talk for hours if I have a interesting topic, but to yap away about what someone is wearing, or office gossip, or celebrity gossip, is a waste of good air (and radio waves if done on a cell phone).

I'll admit cell phones have their uses. If everyone used them the way Captain Kirk used his communicator then I would have no problems. He didn't call Scotty unless it was something very, very important. That's all cell phones (or phones in general) should be used for.

One of my brother's ex-bosses (now deceased) got it right with phones. Once my brother overheard him call his girlfriend prior to a date. The "conversation" went like this: "Five minutes"....click. :lol: That about sums up how I am on phones. BTW, this man was about 85 or so at the time. His wife was deceased so the relationship was casual. I think his g/f was in her 70s.

Why on earth do they need them?  Previous kids got along just fine without them.

that is bad reasoning. previous kids got along just fine without condoms and tetanus shots too.