Sign in to follow this  
Future Shock

PBS Bush/Kerry History Special

I don't know if anyone else saw the PBS special on Bush and Kerry's pasts last night. It was very interesting, and I highly urge ANYONE who wants to understand these people before voting day to see if it is being rebroadcast - regardless of your affiliation.

I actually have lots to say about it - but I really don't want to prejudice anyone who hasn't seen it. Please, go be good citizens of a democracy, stop listening to the spin machines, and go find it being broadcast. It isn't biased one way or the other, just presents the facts cleanly and evenly. I found things about Kerry I did not like, I found things about Bush I did not like...

Anyone for Jesse Ventura for President?

Future Shock

Saw it last Thursday. It was on Frontline. You can watch the entire episode online if you so choose.

I thought it carried an anti-Bush bias. Nonetheless, I would encourage American's to watch it.

Speaking of spin rooms - Highly recommend watching the clip of Jon Stewart's appeareance on Crossfire last Friday. You can read about it here and follow the links to the video. Tucker (and Paul) really don't need much help in making themselves look really stupid.

Many thanks to udaman who forwarded me the relavant links via PM to Frontline and PBS online. Here is what he had to say:

http://www.kcet.org/search/schedule.php?in...ontline&x=0&y=0

quick search on your local PBS website will get the information you lack in your post. Also, PBS has national website for listing/info on Frontline programs-www.PBS.org.

Provide this link for Frontline's home page http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/

Frontline "The Choice 2004", is I believe what you are referring to (repeats in Los Angeles Nov.1, 2004; as it does in most locations.

Myself, I'm more interested in watching the Frontline prog. which I missed here:

Peace by Peace: Women on the Frontlines

Saturday, October 16, 10:30pm

Female “peacebuilders†set out to overcome the ravages of conflict around the world, which disproportionately affect women and children.

In Stereo (CC)

Again, many thanks to udaman and cityk for filling in my gaps! It was late...but I was moved and wanted to post it....

Future Shock

I thought it carried an anti-Bush bias. Nonetheless, I would encourage American's to watch it.

"American's" what? Oh, you meant "Americans"...

Why is it that anytime anything is said about Bush, and it declines to paint him as anything but the second coming of Christ, it's now automatically dubbed "anti-Bush?"

I'm not being pro-Kerry here, but...

It's really difficult to give an accurate, unbiased portrayal of Bush with seeming anti-Bush...

"I believe my intelligence is... darn good intelligence." He better thank Christ someone writes his speeches for him...

Dunno... I do know that if I were him, I'd feel ashamed at having to acknowledge to my conscience that I have indeed procreated...

Good thing that when Darwin declared "only the strongest survive" that he picked an adjective with a plethora of definitions...

Damndest thing though is that this attitude of mine is automatically taken as a "pro-Kerry" stance by the Bush crowd...

Since when does saying "burritos taste like stinker" translate into "Cheeseburgers will offer you the best source of nutrition for the next four years?"

And people wonder why I don't believe in democracy...

C'mon, PBS? They're a non-profit Boston-based television station that specializes in nature and education shows. Of course they have a liberal bias. They are the definition of liberal.

C'mon, PBS? They're a non-profit Boston-based television station that specializes in nature and education shows.  Of course they have a liberal bias.  They are the definition of liberal.

The scary thing here is that SC seems to equate "education" with "liberal bias".

What sources of education do you not count as liberally biased, SC - Bible schools?? Catholic shools?? (Before anyone accuses ME of bias, my kids are in the largest Methodist pre-school in NYC... :P )

I just found out from a friend of mine (who runs the entire Pharacology department at Kansas University, no dummy there) that there is a strong probability that, once again, Creationism will be legisislated to be taught on an equal basis with Evolution in the Kansas public schools...this is due to a few seats in the Kansas legislature expecting to change back to Republican this election. I guess this is what SC would refer to as "fair and balanced" science education...

Future Shock

"American's" what? Oh, you meant "Americans"...

Nonetheless, I would encourage American's golden retrievers, who are still undecided as to which side they will wag their tail, to watch it.

Why is it that anytime anything is said about Bush, and it declines to paint him as anything but the second coming of Christ, it's now automatically dubbed "anti-Bush?"
Cause your either for us, or against us :lol:

C'mon, PBS? They're a non-profit Boston-based television station that specializes in nature and education shows.  Of course they have a liberal bias.  They are the definition of liberal.

The scary thing here is that SC seems to equate "education" with "liberal bias".

Just like Hollywood and most other popular media, most teachers and professors are Democrats. My dad is a professor, and I grew up in a town in Massachusetts with 5 colleges within a 20 mile radius, and the highest concentration of Phd.'s in the country.

Just like Hollywood and most other popular media, most teachers and professors are Democrats. My dad is a professor, and I grew up in a town in Massachusetts with 5 colleges within a 20 mile radius, and the highest concentration of Phd.'s in the country.

Is that meant to say that PhD.s are inherently liberal, and that's a bad thing? I would consider the opinions of acknowledged 'smart' people to be good. What, you'd rather trust the opinion of a bunch of high-school flunkys?

It's been my experience that people who are good in school are good at one thing. Going to school. They're well suited for one job: Teaching. Those who can't do, teach.

A high percentage of the wealthiest Americans dropped out of college. I would confidently venture to guess that a very small percentage of the top 100 richest Americans have advanced degrees of any kind.

But then again, I'm sure you don't equate wealth and intelligence. You would probably elect Ted Kazinsky on the basis of his Ph.d and his "genius IQ".

I'm fairly certain that Bush did better than Kerry at Yale (neither of them did great), so by your logic, I should vote for Bush anyway.

It's been my experience that people who are good in school are good at one thing.  Going to school.  They're well suited for one job:  Teaching.  Those who can't do, teach.

proverb: those who know--do, those who dont coach. or similiarly, those who know--do, those who dont teach.

From my experience: Polticians revolve around credibility and charisma, from the two they play with your money. It's not about which candidate is smarter, but how smart you are to benefit from voting one over the other. Here in Cali there is no point in Bush visiting/gathering voters, since this state electorate has unanimity towards the Dem. party. For the rich the natural vote is Rep., for those not-so-rich voter Dem., and they themselves put a spin on things.

It's been my experience that people who are good in school are good at one thing.  Going to school.  They're well suited for one job:  Teaching.  Those who can't do, teach.

A high percentage of the wealthiest Americans dropped out of college.  I would confidently venture to guess that a very small percentage of the top 100 richest Americans have advanced degrees of any kind.

But then again, I'm sure you don't equate wealth and intelligence.  You would probably elect Ted Kazinsky on the basis of his Ph.d and his "genius IQ".

I'm fairly certain that Bush did better than Kerry at Yale (neither of them did great), so by your logic, I should vote for Bush anyway.

Too bad there is more in life than being wealthy, like being smart.

As it turns out, the highest percentage of "wealthy" individuals in this country are farmers and other small businessmen and women. They aren't wealthy because they are smarter, they aren't wealthy because they worked harder - they are wealthy because that is how the tax code is written, that is how government aide and loans are apportioned. Many of them inherited success tools, such as the land of the family farm, or the family chain of shoe stores in Indianapolis. There wealth is not a testament to them - it is the luck of the genetic draw. I met a lot of them when I was in management school in the Midwest - and while some had a lot of family money, few of them had significant insight to anything at all.

Very boring people in all. Similarly, when I first came to NYC I spent significant amounts of time on the black tie social circuit for a few winters...lots of rich people, very few had a clue.

I dated one girl who's parents owned a condo on Central Park South in the Hampshire House - probably some of the most expensive real estate in NYC. We spent a lot of weekends there while her parents were in Florida - lots of original art (Keith Haring, etc.) worth a few millions, black Italian marble bathrooms, gold fixtures, etc. I was eventually introduced to mom and dad at dinner - turns out her father was an ex-attorney who had gone into the "asphalt business" with some of his clients. Does that make him smart, insightful, or someone to be emulated? It DID make him rich...of course, he really couldn't talk about what it was his company actually DID.

As I said, judging by "wealth" is a slippery slope...

Future Shock

Ah, but as the saying goes, if you're so smart, why aren't you rich?

The smart answer to that would be: "I am rich, I know poor when I see one."

Sayings are worth what you pay for them...

Besides, I would point out that as previously discussed in another thread, I am far from poor...and I did that without even trying to "get rich". :P

Future Shock

It seems that poeple with a good education, turn liberal, because they feel that those poeple who didnt get a good education need them to look out for them. Because they didnt find success in school, they obvously too dumb to look out for themselves...

Poeple who inherit wealth, are on average, average. There are smart ones, dumb ones, etc. They should measure thier succes by what they have to pass onto thier childern, or what they've accomplished for thier community. (did they fund a scholarship at thier high school? etc)

The sad thing is, that the family farmer, maybe a millionaire. but his wealth is tied up in his farm. the millionaire farmer, in bad years, often earn very little money.

is 200k/yr rich?

No - but it ain't poor either...

FS

Different meanings to the word rich. As long as I have enough material wealth to live comfortably I'm happy. Riches can come in the form of knowledge, abilities, friendships, relationships. These things all define who we are more than our net worth. I know if I ever became a multimillionaire I would be the same person. Material wealth doesn't impress me and never did. It's merely a tool to enable me to do the things I want to do. I might appreciate the engineering that went into making a fast car, but I wouldn't be any more or less impressed if it cost $1 million or $1. Actually, thinking about it, I might be more impressed if it cost less. It takes very smart engineering to design high performance, high quality products while still keeping the price affordable. Last week CompUSA had a 60 GB hard drive on sale for $30. Perhaps they were selling at a loss, but just the fact that something like this can be made and sold for so little, and still work reliably storing data for a couple of years, is very impressive to me from an engineering standpoint. Any fool can engineer something given enough money. Put in cost constraints, and you separate the men from the boys.

is 200k/yr rich?

being rich is based on wealth (financially: unrealized non-taxable income) among other more important things like good health, longevity, happiness, a loving family, self-reliance, fine friends, reputation, respect, integrity, honesty, and a history of achievements. Therefore, in my opinion one could be a physician earning 750k/yr taxable income and still be poor. So poor that one is unable to instill in their children and grandchildren, independence, ambition, and maturity and discipline towards handling money, forcing a heavy burden on them and their offspring.

no