Guest Eugene

Samsung SpinPoint SP1614C

Guest Eugene

Through steady provision of a three-year warranty and whisper quiet operation, Samsung's SpinPoint series of desktop drives has maintained a small yet loyal following over the years. How does the SATA version of the SpinPoint P80 stack up? StorageReview examines!

Samsung SpinPoint SP1614C Review

Good review, if disappointing to those of us hoping for a faster drive.

Uhh... I was about to observe that the Temperature graph on Page Six seemed to have an error, but... as I just went back to collect specfic details for you the anomaly was gone. :huh: I then refreshed the page, and a different bar-length error displayed on that same graph. I refreshed yet again and -that- error went away!

Either your page has bizarre graphics, or FireFox 0.10.1 is playing with me or there was Funny Stuff in the cookie I just ate! :P Anyway: the problem was that a display-bar would show one numeric value but a longer bar-length -- which matched a different bar elsewhere in the graph.

Think I'd better go get a coffee and take a break! (... While you 'fess up about Gavin... :P )

Guest Eugene

Re the dynamic HTML bar graph generation- yes, our proprietary code responsble for that does not seem to work properly all the time in Firefox, it's a known problem unfortunately.

Re Davin, of course he's still plugging away formatting articles and administering the site. God knows why SCSA has had that bug up his @ss for the past month, but trust me that this is not a mystery to be filed away in Area 51... sigh.

Re the dynamic HTML bar graph generation- yes, our proprietary code responsble for that does not seem to work properly all the time in Firefox, it's a known problem unfortunately.

Drat... I kept eating more cookies to see if I could get funnier things to happen, but all I got was a belly-ache. :P Sorry to hear it's the browser....

I don't think it's fair to compare a 160 gb drive, with 200-400 gb drives in speed. Of course those are faster because they have bigger data density. (fyi. SP1614C is faster than 1213C although the only difference in the two drives their size. 160 gb vs 120 gb...)

I'm still looking for a test which compares this drive with other ~160 gb drives from the competitors...

Umm, I posted in another thread about a problem I have with SP0812C, the 80GB version of the Spinpoint P80 series, I know the drive should be a bit slower than the rest of the other brands.

Im sorta a PCMark Benchmarker.

I use pcmark 2002 and 2004

I just noticed that my hdd score in pcmark 2002 is an extremely low 400points and lower. Which to me is ridiculously low. Compared to my friends 1k++ points which is an old PATA drive. How is this possible

That pc is not connected to the internet, freshly formatted, fresh XP installed, defragmented, and does not run any other program. 100% virus/adware/spyware free.

My concern is, should I have it RMAed? is it defective or is this normal for a Samsung drive.

It is still very quiet though.