guzo

BIG tower vs MIDI tower

Just to clarify one thing though, does '~=' mean approximately equal to?

Yeah, since most (meaning all Windows) computers can't easily type out (or read) the ≈ symbol. (Assuming you can't see it, it's the proper 'almost equal to' symbol, consisting of what looks like an 'equal' symbol, only squiggly like a tilde ~.) It's the common convention for these characters that aren't in the main ASCII set to be represented like this:

'almost equal to': ~=

'not equal to': !=

'less than or equal to': <=

'greater than or equal to': >=

The proper symbols (which should appear correct on a Macintosh,) are: ≈ ≠ ≤ ≥

Heh, I'm a CSci major, so I'm a little bit familiar with these characters ;). I've just seen ~= used in a slightly different meaning (incorrectly) in other places, so I misinterpreted Future Shock's message at first.

You missed my point. I want GigE, AGP 8x, no onboard video, a nice sound card on board, usb/firewire... With a nice snappy chipset... not one thats a generation or 2 old.

Well, if you're willing to UPGRADE your specs to PCI-E for the video, then how about this MSI uATX for P4s?

I mean, it's hard to beat an Intel 915 chipset for modernity. Gbe, 16xPCI-E, 1xPCI-E, and two "old" PCI slots, 8-channel Azeliah audio specs onboard...what more could you want?

Oh, yeah, the onboard Intel Accellerated video is disableable in BIOS, so just ignore it if you don't need it. OTOH, it's nice to have it when this board becomes a secondary system in 3 years and maybe all you want it for is web browser or home automation server...consider that the entire board is only $111, and you can't complain about the cost of the on-board video which you may "waste".

Future Shock

Street price - why don't you follow the link I posted to NewEgg for that board?

FS

I was thinking micro-ATX would be neat too.

However I noticed something rather startling about micro-ATX motherboards. They Suck...

no gigabit lan, on board video, (some dont even have an AGP slot) crappy sound,

why cant someone make a solid little motherboard, with all the top end features. I dont really care about raid, (I want small-ish) Iam not yet ready to joing the SFF crowd. (more of a budget thing, than attitude)

Check out the shuttle MN-31N (or whatever the updated equivalent is). No gigeE, but 100baseT, decent onboard video, good audio, firewire...

-- Rick

You missed my point. I want GigE, AGP 8x, no onboard video, a nice sound card on board, usb/firewire... With a nice snappy chipset... not one thats a generation or 2 old.

Well, if you're willing to UPGRADE your specs to PCI-E for the video, then how about this MSI uATX for P4s?

I mean, it's hard to beat an Intel 915 chipset for modernity. Gbe, 16xPCI-E, 1xPCI-E, and two "old" PCI slots, 8-channel Azeliah audio specs onboard...what more could you want?

Oh, yeah, the onboard Intel Accellerated video is disableable in BIOS, so just ignore it if you don't need it. OTOH, it's nice to have it when this board becomes a secondary system in 3 years and maybe all you want it for is web browser or home automation server...consider that the entire board is only $111, and you can't complain about the cost of the on-board video which you may "waste".

Future Shock

Odd, I missed your post, yet found the same motherboard...

Iam not worried about onboard video from a cost standpoint. I realize that video is intergrated into the chipset, and thus only as a minor cost to impliment. (basicly running the traces to a socket, and soddering it to the board, what 50 cents?) I just dont like onbaord video... Personal preference as much as anything. I dont think it undermines the performance of the AGP/PCIe video like it used to...

Damn, even THG is calling them midi towers!

THG case review

Yes MIDI has NOTHING to do with size of a damn computer case.

I have a MIDI keyboard and it still has 88 damn keys.

Cheers!

Yes MIDI has NOTHING to do with size of a damn computer case.

I have a MIDI keyboard and it still has 88 damn keys.

Cheers!

If I buy a M-Audio Ozone MIDI controller with 25-keys, then

do I have a micro-midi?

:D

Future Shock

Exactamundo! You get a cookie...

FS

I can't find it, but I *swear* that I've ranted about just this same issue, the "midi-tower" thing, vs. the more correct "mid-" or "mini-" tower. Unless of course, the makers consider them to be a hybrid, or in-between size, between mid and mini-towers. Old-school mini-towers used to be really tiny, and have only two 5.25in bays, and two 3.5in bays, usually at least one externally-exposed for a floppy. Back in the day, "mid-towers" were a sizeably taller, and often had three or four external 5.25in bays, and could hold a full-size AT motherboard. Now we get the modern "midi-tower", which often has four 5.25in external bays, one or two external 3.5in bays, and often, a number of internal 3.5in bays all the way down the inside front of the case. The actual physical height of the case is in-between that of the old-style mini-tower and the mid-tower. So maybe they do mean it to be an in-between size.

However, the far more obvious conclusion that I've come to, is that of some english-speaking bulk case purchaser, trying to communicate over the phone to some far-eastern mfg, and ordering up several thousand "mini-towers", and the boxes end up printed as "midi-tower". (Say "mini" ten times fast, trying to imitate a nasal oriental accent. It shouldn't be surprising what the results are.) Perhaps the name just stuck, and propagated from there.

I've actually seen that many times before in other places too, often in poorly-written user documentation, and occasionally in video-game documentation ("vulcan cannon" == "balkan cannon", "Blanka" = "branka", etc.).

BIG TOWER chieftec ba-01bbb-w, bravo series

Dimensions: 540mm x 205mm x 670mm (T x B x H)

Drive bays extern: 6x51/4", 2x3,5"

Drive bays intern: 8x3,5" HDD

Fans (optional): 5x90mm, 2x120mm

Weight: 19kg incl. powersupply

MID or MIDI TOWER chieftec bx-01bbb-w, midi,

Dimension: 473 x 205 x 522 mm (D x W x H)

Drive Bay: 4 x 5.25" + 2 x 3.5" + 6 x 3.5"HDD

Net/Gross Weight : 16/17Kg

Support P4

2x80 mm fan

4x92 mm fan