Sign in to follow this  
vidmar

OT a bit: LTO2 Autoloaders

Hi all,

Since most of you folks tend to have very nice disk subsystems I thought of you when seeking info on backup devices. Since you do backup those very large RAID arrays right? B)

In any case I'm looking for about 1-2TB of capacity with an autoloader/library & barcode feature. The tape technology I'm aiming for will be LTO2.

So far I've narrowed down the field to a number of possible candidates.

Overland Data:

• LoaderXpress
  • Tapes: 11
  • Capacity: 2.2TB
  • Base Cost: $5,391.98
  • Barcode Cost: $647.37
  • Tapes: 10x$63= $693
  • Total Cost: $6,732.35

Dell:

• PowerVault 122T
  • Tapes: 8
  • Capacity: 1.6TB
  • Base Cost: $6,226.79
  • Barcode Cost: $900.00
  • Tapes: 8x$63= $504
  • Total Cost: $7,630.79

HP:

• 1/8 Ultrium 460
  • Base Cost: $6,530.00
  • Total Cost: $7,934.00

ADIC:

• FastStor 2
  • Base Cost: $7,002.49
  • Barcode Cost: $535.00
  • Total Cost: $8,041.49

Certance:

• CLL 3200
  • Base Cost: $6,517.00
  • Total Cost: $7,556.00

The interesting thing is that all of these products (except the Overland data) are almost exactly the same device just with a different brand sticker on the front.

I'm mostly interested in the Overland Data product, but cannot find any reviews. Anyone here have any opinions on any of these products?

TIA,

Alan

There is an ADIC autoloader where I work now, its pretty good. Ive used HPs in the past, they're also pretty good. I've never used a dell, myself, but have heard good things about dell's enterprise level products.

Another company you may want to look into, is Exabyte. They also make a line of autoloaders, and although its been some time since Ive used one, they're also pretty good.

I like the ADIC autoloader that we have, because when LTO3 comes out, we can change the tape drive, and continue to use it with the larger (data size) LTO3 tapes. (Iam sure most autoloaders can do that, but its nice to know)

If its anything like in the "old" dlt days, its prolly just relabled Tandberg or whatever drives anyhow.

Id go for the one that provides you the best price/support/performance combo.

Autoloaders have a tendancy to break sooner or later, and you dont want to be without support when it does.

Ive had 3 breakdowns on a Compaq DLT library(15 tapes), not counting the drive have failed twice, over a 5 year period

Darking

Thanks for the reply Occupant 2.

I'm using Exabyte libraries right now and have used only Exabyte products in the past. But no more. Their current product lineup basically sucks along with their reliability.

After a bit more looking I'm leaning heavily toward the Overland Storage PowerLoader. Since it includes a barcode reader and has 17 slots for a total native capacity of 3.4TB. And the price is actually cheaper than their LoaderExpress product! I've found them priced around $6100.

Anyone using the Overland Storage PowerLoader?

Ive never even heard of them.

Ive found, as a general rule, that buying the cheapest thing possible, isnt always the best choice... (goes not just for computer parts, but anything.) Yes dont forget the support, sure it maybe the cheapest device in the product catagory, but when it breaks down, and it takes 2 weeks to get the replacement parts, you'll find where they saved the money, to make the low price possible...

Hi all,

Since most of you folks tend to have very nice disk subsystems I thought of you when seeking info on backup devices. Since you do backup those very large RAID arrays right?  B)

In any case I'm looking for about 1-2TB of capacity with an autoloader/library & barcode feature. The tape technology I'm aiming for will be LTO2.

So far I've narrowed down the field to a number of possible candidates.

Overland Data:

• LoaderXpress
  • Tapes: 11
  • Capacity: 2.2TB
  • Base Cost: $5,391.98
  • Barcode Cost: $647.37
  • Tapes: 10x$63= $693
  • Total Cost: $6,732.35

Dell:

• PowerVault 122T
  • Base Cost: $6,226.79
  • Total Cost: $7,630.79

HP:

• 1/8 Ultrium 460
  • Base Cost: $6,530.00
  • Total Cost: $7,934.00

ADIC:

• FastStor 2
  • Base Cost: $7,002.49
  • Total Cost: $8,041.49

Certance:

• CLL 3200
  • Base Cost: $6,517.00
  • Total Cost: $7,556.00

The interesting thing is that all of these products (except the Overland data) are almost exactly the same device just with a different brand sticker on the front.

I'm mostly interested in the Overland Data product, but cannot find any reviews. Anyone here have any opinions on any of these products?

TIA,

Alan

New ADIC Scalar 24's (24 slots, 2 drive slots) routinely come up on Ebay for in the $2500 - $4500 range with a single LTO-2 drive. This is a great price, and the nice thing is ADIC offers an *unconditional* 2 year warranty on the Scalar-24 with no limitations on transfering, etc, etc. Call in, give em a serial number, and they look after you.

Dell also sells the S24 relabelled as the PV132T (or similar name) product and it's also ok, but you need to deal with Dell on the warranty.

Also the Scalar-24 comes with the barcode reader standard.

Hope this helps.

SG

New ADIC Scalar 24's (24 slots, 2 drive slots) routinely come up on Ebay for in the $2500 - $4500 range with a single LTO-2 drive.  This is a great price, and the nice thing is ADIC offers an *unconditional* 2 year warranty on the Scalar-24 with no limitations on transfering, etc, etc.  Call in, give em a serial number, and they look after you.

SG

I did check e-bay for the ADIC Scalar 24's. Most prices with an LTO2 drive were in the 7-8K range. Maybe you were thinking of the device w/o drive?