hotlips69

Raptor Size Increase yet?

Has anyone heard any whispers or similar about any potential increase in capacity for the Raptor?

Its been absolutely ages since there has been any activity from Western Digital about this drive and any upgrades/new features etc...

I can't believe that they are going to let this drive get stagnant without any new marketing or changes?

Has anyone heard any whispers or similar about any potential increase in capacity for the Raptor?

Its been absolutely ages since there has been any activity from Western Digital about this drive and any upgrades/new features etc...

I can't believe that they are going to let this drive get stagnant without any new marketing or changes?

I'm waiting for that kind of news too.

Raptor is getting old. At least from a marketing point of view.

And 16MB cache is introduced by Maxtor. Others can only follow now.

I keep h ;) ping....

The problem is that there is no way it can compete in the market, In canada it's 80GB for like $273CAD, you can buy 120GB with a standard 3 year warranty for like $130-150. And a five year now with the seagates for about the same price. WD just can't compete, if the drives are really made better then why are they lagging behind on density? Shouldn't density be easy since they already have something like a 400GB model? Or does reliability decrease as density goes up? i.e. more wear and tear?

The problem is that there is no way it can compete in the market, In canada it's 80GB for like $273CAD, you can buy 120GB with a standard 3 year warranty for like $130-150.  And a five year now with the seagates for about the same price.  WD just can't compete, if the drives are really made better then why are they lagging behind on density?  Shouldn't density be easy since they already have something like a 400GB model?  Or does reliability decrease as density goes up?  i.e. more wear and tear?

You're forgetting that as spin speed increases, areal density lags. You need to compare the Raptor's capacity points against other 10K drives, not 7200 rpm PATA/SATA drives. Thus, I'm surprised WD has not announced the next jump, since Seagate has already announced their 74 GB/platter 10K drives.

Reliability is not automatically lower with a faster spin speed. Since so much depends on the head/disk interface, and since slider design is highly-dependent on spin speed, it's hard to say for sure whether a faster spinning drive will be of higher or lower reliability than a comparable drive at lower spin speed. There are just too many variables at play.

As discussed eleswhere ...

The faster they spin,

* more heat

* less density

The faster the actuator/heads

* more heat

To reduce heat they reduce weight of the platters ie. smller platters, less platters.

* smaller platters means less GB per disk

* less platters means less GB per drive

Yes, the higher the arial density the tighter the tolerances and higher potential of soft errors.

More platters with more sored mean more parts and higher probability of something going wrong.

More platters mean a higher strain on drive motor.

Faster spin means higher strain on drive motor.

SCSI drives for servers tend to be tested for higher extreme treatment ie. 100% activity 24/7 for longer period using more drives and higher ambient temperature. The MTBF is a rubbery figure that does not mean a modern hard drive will last for 100+ years.

The higher the spin rate and higher arial density then the heads have to read faster. If you spin it 1.4x as fast then you reduce linear density to 0.71x when using the same 75MB/s head.

Can someone please compile a FAQ about the relationship of performance compromises of hard drive technology. And while your at it, update the rest of the 2-4 year old StorageReview FAQ's.

Any SR member can edit and add to the SR FAQ, BTW.

As for a FAQ entry on this subject, I think that'd be a good idea. It'd be rather a large entry, though, as there is a lot of material. I can start part of it and let others add to it. I'm sure there's enough know-how on this site to make a good article. :)

... In canada it's 80GB for like $273CAD ...

If only it were 80GB. After you get it formatted, it's more like 60 GB...

... In canada it's 80GB for like $273CAD ...

If only it were 80GB. After you get it formatted, it's more like 60 GB...

Dang that sucks, I just assumed because it said 74GB, it was ~80Gigabytes (10 base), but you're saying its 60 ish? Ouch! I'm glad I never bought one yet.

I just assumed because it said 74GB, it was ~80Gigabytes (10 base), but you're saying its 60 ish?

I don't have a big Raptor, but my small Raptors came out to just under 30 GB of free space after I got them formatted as NTFS. I'm assuming the 74 GB raptors would be double that...

The problem is that there is no way it can compete in the market,

There are no ATA offerings that match the speed of the Raptor I think.

The question is, how much do you want to pay for the extra speed.

I think that's very personal.

Just like the P4 prices. Prices gently go up as speed goes up. But suddenly near the top speed CPUs the price goes skyhigh.

(Some) people are prepared to to pay teh price.

My guess it's nothing diffrent in the HD market.

I just assumed because it said 74GB, it was ~80Gigabytes (10 base), but you're saying its 60 ish?

I don't have a big Raptor, but my small Raptors came out to just under 30 GB of free space after I got them formatted as NTFS. I'm assuming the 74 GB raptors would be double that...

Mine formatted out to 34.4GB NTFS.

My 74Gb Raptor formatted to 69.24Gb, which is about what I expected. All HD manufacturers advertise the size as billions of bytes. Since a formatted kb is actually 1024 bytes, the advertised size of 74Gb works out to less once formatted.

I was quite willing to pay a premium for top end performance along with 5 year warrenty (and designed for 24/7 operation). There is no other drive that can compete unless you look at SCSI, and that costs even more (drive is more, and then you need an adapter as well).