edge929

Next Generation Raptor?

Its not the 6GB that is making people's day, its the fact that it looks like Dell has a custom 80GB version of the raptor being built for them. That's kinda interesting.

Dell has lots of custom versions of hardware made for it. So does HP and Gateway and every other big OEM.

Six gigabytes isn't enough that Western Digital can't just pull this out of their asses. They don't need anything extra special to make them.

That's such a generic statement it really doesn't say much, does it? Unless WD decides to drop the Raptor line, it stands to reason they'll eventually release a next-generation version, and "not-too-distant future" can mean anything from several weeks to several months out (considering the tendency of the industry for announcing first and shipping later :lol:).

this was posted and then deleted on another forum a few weeks ago

no idea how accurate it is

I just got out of a meeting with Western Digital (enterprise solutions) and I got to discuss a few open issues we have had with Western Digital drives and their new products. They informed me that they are releasing a new Raptor drive early next year with the following specs:

150 GB (2 74GB platters)

16MB cache

SATA 300 connection

NCQ (no more TCQ support)

RAFF (vibration control technology coined by WD)

Staggered spin-up

TLER (Time-limited error recovery)

In addition to this, they will be releasing a 400GB drive soon with all of the above features. The marketing guy believes that the 320GB drive released earlier this year will be quite short-lived and they will be putting the majority of their focus on the 400GB. They are shooting for a release of a 640GB drive (still 4 platters) during the 4th quarter of 2006.

Hopefully this information will be helpful to you guys thinking about upgrading anytime soon. If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

In addition to this, they will be releasing a 400GB drive soon with all of the above features.

Well that's the Caviar RE2. So at least that part was accurate (I have 2 of them, they're quite fast).

KC

Those look like SATAII specs. Nice to know it will have lots of somewhat useful features. I'm glad it will be larger, but I hope its at least as fast as the current Raptor. Unfortunately, I bet we can all planning on it not being cheap.

The Raptors started going on sale last week, so maybe they will release a newer version earlier?  I won't be holding my breath, but I will still hope.

217634[/snapback]

Where have you seen them on sale?

They aren't supposed to be here until next Feb I thought!

The Raptor is dead in enterprise. Unless WD is deciding to skip a generation, by the time they get the next Raptor out, the other 10K enterprise makers will be on their next generation so after.

And it may cost less to design a 4 platter version, but it probably costs more to produce.

And the research need to be done some time anyway, as you can't keep the current density forever.

It really all depends on what resources you have available. The current Raptor platform isn't designed to hold four disks, so it'd be a pretty involved redesign to squeeze in two more (from a mechanical standpoint). It typically involves a lot more capital to add disks than it does to increase density. And like Olaf van der Spek pointed out, you have to make the next areal density jump anyway eventually.

From a business standpoint, WD should have gone to a four disk design shortly after the second-gen Raptor came out (if the goal was doubling capacity "easily"). ...

183877[/snapback]

Two things. Someone also asked when WD was going to release a drive larger than 250. Um, like the two 400 GB drives they have?

The second part of this is the following....

Some of the posts on here have talked about the RE2 drives. As a matter of fact one of the new posts on the site said the current RE2 and even the Caviar 16 ARE based on the Raptor construction platform.... Sounds like they have already done the research on moving to a 4 platter Raptor if they have a drive out based on just such a design....

Two things. Someone also asked when WD was going to release a drive larger than 250. Um, like the two 400 GB drives they have?

218131[/snapback]

One thing: look at the date of the posts you replied too. 2004, that's a year ago.

Edited by Olaf van der Spek

The Raptor is dead in enterprise. Unless WD is deciding to skip a generation, by the time they get the next Raptor out, the other 10K enterprise makers will be on their next generation so after.

218120[/snapback]

What other 10K SATA makers? There are none.

218120[/snapback]

What other 10K SATA makers? There are none.

218266[/snapback]

I think hes aiming at SCSI drive makers.

You can have Seagate 10K SCSI drives with up to 300GB!

Wereas the Raptor only offer up to 74GB.

Yes you do need a controller in addition to the drives.. but this is enterprises buying... do they really care if they need a controller in addition while buying say 5x146GB SCSI drives? I think not.

You also get support for a lot more drives with the controller than you have with the onboard SATA.

For small cheapass servers or home users like myself, the raptor is great though :)

218131[/snapback]

One thing: look at the date of the posts you replied too. 2004, that's a year ago.

218132[/snapback]

Yes, it would appear that the need for a Raptor is no longer that great nowadays. I find myself opting for two 7,200 rpm SATA drives for the price of one 74 GB Raptor and I get a lot more capacity. Performance from a two SATA drive system is roughly similar to that of a single Raptor PC too. So for the same cost, I get the bonus of more capacity.

Unless WD can pull something extraordinary to make a new generation of Raptors, the Raptor is probably going to be gracefully retired.

Edited by fhblee

218131[/snapback]

218132[/snapback]

Yes, it would appear that the need for a Raptor is no longer that great nowadays. I find myself opting for two 7,200 rpm SATA drives for the price of one 74 GB Raptor and I get a lot more capacity. Performance from a two SATA drive system is roughly similar to that of a single Raptor PC too. So for the same cost, I get the bonus of more capacity.

Unless WD can pull something extraordinary to make a new generation of Raptors, the Raptor is probably going to be gracefully retired.

218280[/snapback]

More capacity yes... but you won't get the Raptors access time... wich is the key to its performance :)

More capacity yes... but you won't get the Raptors access time... wich is the key to its performance :)

218331[/snapback]

With two drives you can use RAID0, RAID1 or different data on each (JBOD). Single tasks may not get the avg. access time as the Raptor but you can still increase the IO/s and MB/s. And if you partition and use 65GB of 250GB the avg. service time gets closer to that of the Raptor (current 7200rpm HD's held back by track-to-track, and avg. rotational delays).

More capacity yes... but you won't get the Raptors access time... wich is the key to its performance

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/2005...tarVsRaptor.png

The Raptor still has the fastest actuator and the fastest spindle among SATA drive, but no mechanics can ever beat the speed one can burst out of cache. And likely because of that, with desktop optimizations and 16MB cache, 7K500 beats Raptor in gaming performance.

Have you thought what the "access time" means? There are other sorts of access time than just "random access time". What is the access time if the data is already in the cache? There is no mechanical positioning, no actuator movement, no latency. Raptor has a good access time only the access is RANDOM.

That said, Raptor is still the best SATA server drive. But if you really want an enterprice drive, you could go with SCSI and notice the Raptor sucks in that environment as well.

Raptor definitely needs an update or a retirement.

Yes, for desktop use, a dual 7,200 rpm SATA drive setup is definitely comparable in performance to a single 10,000 rpm Raptor setup. The benchmarks may show that the Raptor is faster (marginally) but human perception of speed is such that small differences like that won't be too noticeable.

I have just set up an AMD Athlon 64 X2 system with three hard drives and I establised 20 GB first partitions in all the drives. The first drive contains the OS, the second has the applications installed and the third has the Windows swapfile. To me, this setup feels rather speedy. :D

Edited by fhblee

I see 74Gb raptors are only $111 on New Egg now, after Rebates, with a free floppy drive thrown in, so something is definitely imminent...

Edited by peegeenyc