edge929

Next Generation Raptor?

The one person who posts on the forum who knows anything regarding this, can't talk about it. In fact, anyone who knows anything about this can't talk about it. Regardless, Hard drive manufacturers have a policy of announcing new disks many months before they're available. (In Seagate's case it's a year or more <_< .)

You'll hear about the new Raptor long before you can buy it, so there's no point in starting any more of these threads or, for that matter, continuously bumping them every few days. The answers you get aren't going to change.

Edited by Gilbo

I presume you are talking about NDAs?

For all we know, the Storage Review team have a new drive that are in the process of testing, but are not allowed to even hint that they have anything. :ph34r:

Gilbo's point was that NDAs are lifted, and drives are announced, months before they're in reviewers' hands, let alone available to us mere mortals.

Hence, it's completely safe to make your hard drive purchasing decisions on the assumption that there isn't anything massively better just around the corner. You'll get several months' official notice before anything really exciting happens.

Gilbo's point was that NDAs are lifted, and drives are announced, months before they're in reviewers' hands, let alone available to us mere mortals.

Hence, it's completely safe to make your hard drive purchasing decisions on the assumption that there isn't anything massively better just around the corner. You'll get several months' official notice before anything really exciting happens.

202166[/snapback]

Kind of off subject but if this were Intel, AMD, Nvidia, or ATI they would be burned at the stake. People yell about Paper Launches when only a Handful are on the market after a couple weeks let alone months of no product at all.

202166[/snapback]

Kind of off subject but if this were Intel, AMD, Nvidia, or ATI they would be burned at the stake. People yell about Paper Launches when only a Handful are on the market after a couple weeks let alone months of no product at all.

202197[/snapback]

Hard drives serve as long term storage so they really don't need to keep up with the latest advances in semiconductor technology. It would be nice if they did through. They probably will when the solid state disks become cheaper.

I e-mailed WD a week ago asking when they expected the next version of the Raptor to come out, and when it would support the full SATA-II spec (and get rid of that stupid TCQ). Anyhoo, the guy sent me a link to sign up for their newsletter. Great.

Not surprising. If no formal announcement has been made, no one else is supposed to be giving out even estimated dates for new products.

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response (Robert A.) - 05/10/2005 08:40 AM

Dear Alexander,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

This information is not yet available.  You could sign up for the online store newsletter to be updated on new product releases.

Sincerely,

Robert A.

Western Digital Service and Support

http://support.wdc.com

I don't think it's this link, but it's all I could find:

http://www.wdc.com/en/company/pr/ed_mail_list.asp

If you were sent the link, how come you don't know what it is?

205103[/snapback]

Sorry, I misstyped. He just told me to sign up for the newsletter. No link was provided. The stuff in the quote is all the info I got.

Anyone know how many Raptors WD has shipped to date? I did a search on google and turned up no results. No mention of any numbers or revenue related to Raptor. That's not a good sign. If sales #'s are low, then its possible there will be no next gen Raptor...

HDD makers typically do not release numbers on shipped drives for specific models. I've usually seen it as total drives shipped for the quarter with possible breakdown by capacity point or interface.

Seeing as Raptor is WD's only enterprise class drive (unless they are classifying their "RAID Edition" drives as enterprise). I have seen manufacturers report #'s for desktop, enterprise and consumer before.

WD just never mentions their enterpise or raptor numbers even when they mention the other two categories. Makes you wonder...

Very interresting info SG, but... we want more  :)

You can get 400gb tonkas now, but I havent seen 500gb anywhere, and according to some tests (tomsHW) 7200.8 has high linear transfer rate, but not as high as 110mb/s

200607[/snapback]

Correct, Seagate is already shipping Tonkas, (the newer Barracudas are Tonkas) this was a smooth transsition from Alpine (those are still shipping in older Barracuda models).

These are internal program names for a single generation of drives. That's it.

I have heard the 500GB, 3D -166GB/platter makes too many issues (even though they may be available for field tests in numbers) and now Seagate is quickly jumping into a 4D to make it ready for mass-pro.

However, for enterprise the NL35 with all the fancy interfaces, uses 4D already, but I assume 133GB/platter max. only.

Yes, the 166 gigabyte platter production process is not maturing quickly enough so the 500Gb has been pushed back to the release of Tonka-II which allows for 4 platter designs. 500Gb will be available by combining 4 125Gb platters (133Gb platters that are not fully utilized). This has cut back on the performance significantly due to the decrease in platter density. We likely will not see greater than 133Gb/platter until the shift to perp recording technology comes into play, thich will debut in 2.5 enterprise drives first in Seagates portfolio (and laptop drives as well).

As for the Raptor a new 146Gb model is coming using dual platters of 74Gb. This improves STR significantly. It will be a SATA-II product (3Gb and NCQ), but also will be available as SAS as well - which marks a return of WD to SCSI products. Other manufactures are also considering going this route.

Other interesting stuff coming are SATA/SAS dual personality drives.

Hope this helps,

SG

any new news on upcoming 'new' raptors?? there hasn't been a buzz about raptors in awhile ....... ?

213202[/snapback]

A drive that will work in either SATA or SAS systems. This isn't that much of a stretch since SAS is using SATA connectors and signaling levels so the physical interface is covered. All that has to happen is the controller on the drive be able to speak either SATA (ATA) or SAS (SCSI) and figure out which at power up and it is dual personality.

The cost of such a controller chip that can do either will add very little to the drives cost, much less then the cost of having TWO seperate products and all that goes with it.

If this actually does take off it could signal the end of different mechanicals for SCSI and ATA drives - any performance differences will be caused by the protocal used and the feature set supported.

SG

Yes, the 166 gigabyte platter production process is not maturing quickly enough so the 500Gb has been pushed back to the release of Tonka-II which allows for 4 platter designs.  500Gb will be available by combining 4 125Gb platters (133Gb platters that are not fully utilized).  This has cut back on the performance significantly due to the decrease in platter density.  We likely will not see greater than 133Gb/platter until the shift to perp recording technology comes into play, thich will debut in 2.5 enterprise drives first in Seagates portfolio (and laptop drives as well). 

As for the Raptor a new 146Gb model is coming using dual platters of 74Gb.  This improves STR significantly.  It will be a SATA-II product (3Gb and NCQ), but also will be available as SAS as well - which marks a return of WD to SCSI products.  Other manufactures are also considering going this route. 

Hope this helps,

SG 

any new news on upcoming 'new' raptors?? there hasn't been a buzz about raptors in awhile ....... ?

213202[/snapback]

213395[/snapback]

interesting! i haven't heard about this till now .......

i'm curious as to why all drives now aren't like that .... sounds like something they should all be doing.

Yes, the 166 gigabyte platter production process is not maturing quickly enough so the 500Gb has been pushed back to the release of Tonka-II which allows for 4 platter designs.  500Gb will be available by combining 4 125Gb platters (133Gb platters that are not fully utilized).  This has cut back on the performance significantly due to the decrease in platter density.  We likely will not see greater than 133Gb/platter until the shift to perp recording technology comes into play, thich will debut in 2.5 enterprise drives first in Seagates portfolio (and laptop drives as well). 

As for the Raptor a new 146Gb model is coming using dual platters of 74Gb.  This improves STR significantly.  It will be a SATA-II product (3Gb and NCQ), but also will be available as SAS as well - which marks a return of WD to SCSI products.  Other manufactures are also considering going this route. 

Hope this helps,

SG 

213202[/snapback]

213395[/snapback]

Do you know if the NCQ feature will be designed in a way that improves performance this time around?

213202[/snapback]

213395[/snapback]

Perpendicular technology is coming in Enterprise for Cheeath 15k5 first before 2.5" Savvio2 comes around I believe..