edge929

Next Generation Raptor?

There's no official confirmation that there is, or will be one. If it's just the few 2 platter drives with one platter that failed QA, then they may not be sold as a separate product, and be thrown in at trandom with the WD740GDs. Or used as replacement drives for a lucky few that RMA their WD740GDs (but that's unlikely).

Anyway, if anyone actually sees one of these in stock somewhere, let us know! In the meantime, I'll remain sceptical about whether such a beast is in mass production.

Do we have any more information on the STR differences here? 88/60 is quite a bit different that 84/52... not sure what the rest of the benchmarks would look like but...

Thanks,

Chris

Guest 888
There's no official confirmation that there is, or will be one. If it's just the few 2 platter drives with one platter that failed QA, then they may not be sold as a separate product, and be thrown in at trandom with the WD740GDs. Or used as replacement drives for a lucky few that RMA their WD740GDs (but that's unlikely).

Anyway, if anyone actually sees one of these in stock somewhere, let us know! In the meantime, I'll remain sceptical about whether such a beast is in mass production.

Try WD740ADFD search with Google... There are several matches, but all they are European shops. There are even prices for this item already existing. And it's stated that this item has 16MB cache, so it must be the new Raptor's little brother! Although no information if it has 1 or 2 platters.

raptor1mb.png

Another question:

In the pic is a big performance drop down at the beginning.

I get this drop down in all other benchmarks too. (hdtune, hdtach)

(hdd is empty, testet on two different systems and I tested more times each test)

Is the drive faulty?

Is this a reason to RMA the drive?

Try WD740ADFD search with Google... There are several matches, but all they are European shops. There are even prices for this item already existing. And it's stated that this item has 16MB cache, so it must be the new Raptor's little brother! Although no information if it has 1 or 2 platters.

One of the Canadian distributors for WD has the WD740ADFD listed, but no stock yet. They've had stock on the WD1500ADFD for a week or two now. In regards to how many platters the 740ADFD has, the detailed specs listed are obviously not accurate (I think it is just a copy/paste from the original 740GD) so I can't provide any info there.

In the pic is a big performance drop down at the beginning.

I get this drop down in all other benchmarks too. (hdtune, hdtach)

(hdd is empty, testet on two different systems and I tested more times each test)

Is the drive faulty?

Is this a reason to RMA the drive?

All drives ship with a very small number of bad sectors that have been remapped. That narrow spike just means you hit a remapped area. It's nothing to be concerned about.

KC

OK, I just finished installing my Raptor 150 (WD1500ADFD), here are my transfer rate results.

Unfortunately since I haven't run WB99 for years, I didn't remember to check the "save bitmap" box so I don't have the chart to post.

WB99 Transfer Rate

Disk Transfer Rate Begin: 88800

Disk Transfer Rate End: 60400

HDTach

hdtraptor150.gif

Everything here is perfectly in line with the StorageReview tests, which showed 88.3 begin and 60.2 end.

Test system:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe v1.02 BIOS 1016

AMD Athlon64 X2 FX-60

2GB Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO

WD740GD (current boot)

WD4000YR x2 (data drives)

Windows XP SP2

nVidia Platform Drivers 6.70

The drive version is WD1500ADFD-00NLR0 and I partitioned, formatted but left completely blank for the tests.

SR's testbed uses a Sil3124 SATA card, and I'm using nForce4... perhaps there is a throughput issue with Intel ICH?

KC

SR's testbed uses a Sil3124 SATA card, and I'm using nForce4... perhaps there is a throughput issue with Intel ICH?

KC

I don't think so, but i will test it.

I have a NF4 and some Silicon Image SATA controllers allocated.

KC

I don't think so, but i will test it.

I have a NF4 and some Silicon Image SATA controllers allocated.

Now I have testet my raptor on a NF4 and Sil3132 with the same result of ~71,8 MB/s at HD Tach!

crap raptor! :angry:

I will RMA it now, this is not usual.

I don't know if it's just me or what but the WD1500ADFD-00NLR0 hasn't impressed me at all thus far. Os installations, constant db read/writes, defrags and updatedbs were all slower than my older MAU36GB 15k (MAU3036). Gaming tools and games were nothing to making or breaking but the MAU did feel a bit faster. I suspect my HBAs have a small role to play (ARC-1110 & LSI 320-2). Maybe it's my setup but I dunno... the new Raptor wasn't worth the money at all to me.