DarthHen

Slow surfing while downloading

Hi,

When I download a big file from the Internet, I can't browse other websites. I was trying to download WinXP64 ISO from www.microsoft.com. The ISO is about 400 megs. While it was downloading, I was unable to surf other sites. Not even google. I decided to stop the download, then everything works fine.

I'm using the latest drivers downloaded from www.nvidia.com, not from the CD that came with the board. I also noticed that the ethernet controller is slower than my Netgear PCI card. In my old system I ran VNC through VPN to my work. The VNC window would update quickly, but with the K8N, the VNC window update slower.

I have Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus running also. I tried turnning on/off the Nvidia firewall, but that doens't help. I have Comcast cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe try using a download manager, that can control your download speed, so that your large downloads dont hog all your bandwidth..  I like to use getright myself..  www.getright.com    Bring up the proggy, then click on the "speed 55" sign on the toolbar, it will let you configure how fast to download the file.

I use Netlimiter myself. Great little program & highly recommended (although it's not freeware, whilst I believe GetRight is).

B'Billy

Not able to surf as in you typed www.google.com and the browser hung not returning anything at all or it was just really slow loading that pages?

If it didn't return anything at all, maybe you exceeded that strange number of maximum concurrent connections? Ever try to download more than 4 files at once?

I think this is a registry setting, you might try searching on http://www.winguides.com/registry/

What browser were you using?

You might try a different one? http://www.getfirefox.com/

Also try turning off zone alarm and seeing if it helps.

I don't think it will but it won't hurt much to try.

And norton... well let me just suggest you try www.nod32.com

But you might try turning norton off as well.

It could be that the ethernet controller in your motherboard sucks and is using all the available bandwidth thus preventing new smaller requests from getting through. The only way to test this is with a different network card.

Download Express is a nice free download manager that allows you to precisely set the download speed.

In fact I'm using it at the moment, downloading a Linux(libranet) ISO at 30KbB/s which leaves me and others who share this connection with 10kB/s for surfing.

Check it out.

Download Express is a nice free download manager that allows you to precisely set the download speed.

In fact I'm using it at the moment, downloading a Linux(libranet) ISO at 30KbB/s which leaves me and others who share this connection with 10kB/s for surfing.

Check it out.

Microsoft's servers are fast enough that they can saturate a lowly 3.3 Mb ADSL line like mine. When I download somehing big and recent I always get max speed which makes surfing slow.

It is really, really, really, really slow loading pages.

I use Firefox 1.0 and also IE from time to time.

I tried downloading using Firefox and surf with either Firefox or IE. I also tried downloading with IE and surft with either browsers. In both test cases, no dice.

I'll try turning off Norton tonite.

I'm using AVG on my other computer right now. It seems pretty good. Not a system resource hog like Norton is.

I'm tempted to put my old school Netgear card back in the system if I can't resolve this. You would think Nvidia could get their controller straight...sigh.

Thanks for everybody's responses.

I'm running a gigabyte Motherboard with NForce2. The inbuilt nic has no problems. I limit my downloads to 120K/s (I've got 1.5Mb/s ADSL) (using getright if it's from a webpage, the bandwidth limiting options if it's BitTorrent or WinMX) and everything else runs fine.

I'll be upgrading to a AMD 64 939pin as soon as PCI Express capable Nvidia Motherboards (not sure if I'll wait for dual VGA card support yet) are available.

Hopefully I won't get your problems. I did read in a few places though it isn't recommended to go with the Nvidia IDE drivers. The speed up most hard drives a little bit but can cause all sorts of grief with Optical drives. Just stick with the Microsoft provided generic IDE drivers.

Regards,

Michael.