drakster

7K250! Click of death?

I've read the stories about clicks of death on the old GXPs but I'm not sure if my problem is related. I have a hgst 7k250 80Gb with 2MB cache. Upon turning on my pc, it would continuously reboot itself (about 0.5 sec in between) without ever getting to the POST screen. I can hear a clicking sound from the onboard speaker as the PC keeps rebooting.

I disconnected all the IDE connectors from my drives, reconnected and the problem went away. Now, the problem has been getting more and more frequent. The last time, I had to disconnect the IDE connector from the 7k250, power on, power off, and reconnect before it would boot properly. I kept my hand on the drive while it was booting and I could feel the drive motor trying to start about three times before it would actually spin up.

Any ideas? I'm backing up my data and preparing to RMA the drive. I've had it for 10 months. The advanced test of the Drive Fitness Test did not find any problem with it. I haven't done any system upgrades when the drive started acting up.

Cheers,

drakster

it could be that the motor is dying, but anyway, try to change cables, test it in another computer, befor RMAing. Or simply wait a few days.

Have you changed anything recently in your computer? or maybe reconnected the IDE cables before the problems appeared?

well, I have said the motor, because I had an old Quantum who died because the motor was too old, and couldn't stay spining... so it was constantly stopping and restarting trying to reach full speed again.

I don't know the details of the "click of death syndrome", so I don't know if this is what you are having. maybe.

well, I have said the motor, because I had an old Quantum who died because the motor was too old, and couldn't stay spining... so it was constantly stopping and restarting trying to reach full speed again.

I don't know the details of the "click of death syndrome", so I don't know if this is what you are having. maybe.

The "click of death" problem isn't with the motor. It is with the drive starts spinning, then getting caught in an infinite loop where it constantly seeks the heads trying to initially read something.

This problem should be fairly easy to sort out. First, try the drive in a different system. If it works flawlessly in a different system, it obviously isn't a fault with the drive.

I haven't had time to try the drive at work today. Just before I left home this morning, I had the same problem again but disconnecting, booting and then reconnecting the drive did not work this time.

The drive has been working in the present config for more than six months.

I haven't stuck a volt meter in but I've disconnected the power from my cdwriter and my dvdrom drive to no avail.

For people who have RMA'd deathstars to hitachi, did they get new drives or reconditioned drives?

If the system won't / wouldn't make it to POST, then a drive problem is unlikely to be the case. The clicking from the PC speaker is not the IBM click of death. If you can get the system to boot, check the SMART values from the drive. Try to POST the system with no drives connected next time it does it.

For people who have RMA'd deathstars to hitachi, did they get new drives or reconditioned drives?

How would you be able to tell?

I shipped back a 15GB IBM Deathstar about a year ago (days within warranty expiry) and got back a seemingly new, sealed drive. I guess since they don't make them anymore, it must've been refurbished.

check the power cable to the drive. loose connectors will cause power loss to drive. give the power cable to the hdd a little (just a little or u will break)something) shake, if the drive power cycle, its the connector. power it down, unplug from the hdd , use a little flat screwdriver to bent the 4 metal contacts on the power plug.

check the power cable to the drive. loose connectors will cause power loss to drive. give the power cable to the hdd a little (just a little or u will break)something) shake, if the drive power cycle, its the connector. power it down, unplug from the hdd , use a little flat screwdriver to bent the 4 metal contacts on the power plug.

I second that. On one of my PCs, Windows 2000 used to hang now and then, maybe once in a week. Thought it might be the capacitors on the board (Abit BP6) or something driver related. Finally I opened the case when the system hung again, and found the harddisk wasn't spinning. Touched the power cable, the drive started. Fixed the power cable -> not a single freeze after that.