SnowHiker

Antec 550 watt True-Power supply

I just bought a new Antec 550 watt "True Power" power supply (as my old 230watt one is dying) and after I got home I realized that the Antec supply used a 24-pin motherboard connector. Didn't even realize that 20-pin isn't the only "standard" anymore.

I noticed that the 24-pin cable WILL plug into the 20-pin motherboard connector (with the 4 extra pins just hanging off to the side)........I assume this will FRY my motherboard, but doesn anybody know if it's compatiable?

Any suggestions? Where can I get a converter cable cheap? Should I just return the 24-pin power supply and buy a 20-pin one? Will 24-pin power supplies become the NEW standard and should I stick with my 24-pin one?

I hate when you buy a new toy and can't play with it immediately! And MOST stores that might carry the converter cable will be closed on Sunday! :(

THX for the help.

I think that if I remember correctly, that the 550 was designed primarily for dual processor boards (i.e. mainstream server and workstations, e.g. Supermicro, Tyan, etc..) which all require the 24 pin connector plus either a SSI and/or EPS/GES connectors.

I think that the "normal" ATX still uses the 20-pin as the standard. Just out of curioisty, why did you go with the TruePower 550 when you could have probably gotten by with something a little less (like a 430 or something?)

OK. Manual says the power supply comes with 20-pin ATX connector. WHICH IS WRONG. Must be a "generic" manual they put in all their power supply boxes.

On OUTSIDE of the box.........

....and now TruePower is available in an EPS12V version for servers...what is EPS12V? EPS 12V is a special, non-atx standard adopted by the Server System Infrastructure (SSI) group to provide more powerful and stable environment for critial server-based systems.......EPS12V equipment is not compatiable with standard ATX or ATX12V PCs...........

WHY THE HELL would a "mom & pop" type of computer store, which doesn't sell server/dual processor motherboards sell a SERVER power supply!

Man am I pissed...........and naturally they are closed on Sunday so I can't return the power supply.

Does anybody know............IF I get the 24-pin to 20-pin converter will I be able to use this power supply with a motherboard that has the 20-pin ATX plug?

THX.

1. you definitely can get a converter to go from 24-pin to 20-pin (my seasonic came with one and it works fine)

2. i'm pretty sure having the 4 pins overhanging is the accepted solution, the main reason for the adapter is if there is stuff on the motherboard that gets in the way of the overhang

(i am not responsible if you fry your board, blah, blah, blah)

As to why I selected the 550 vs say the 480.

1) The Store had the 550 in stock and the 480 was NOT in stock. They had a 430 in stock but it was only like $15-20 cheaper. So I figured might as well get the "top-of-the-line" one.

2) This power supply will eventually be used in my system I plan on buying after the first of the year: Socket 939, FX-53 (or faster) HIGH-END video card (one with 480+ watt req). Two 74 GB raptors + 200-400GB of "mass" storage, etc.

Also............the 24-pin plug, will plug into the 20-pin motherboard connector, however the little locking tab doesn't like up.........and there is a capacitor a little TOO close.............so I'm NOT even gonna try it...........TOO BAD Antec doesn't include the converter...........now I gotta spend like $13+tax+shipping for one if I don't return power supply........

The 24 pin is replacing the 20 pin,

All the new PCIe Mboards use 24 pin and a new power connector for the AGP.

I know it is ok to plug a 20 pin in to a 24 pin board if you do not need the extra power.

I think I read something that said you could plug a 24 pin in to a 20 pin, but you can buy a converter plug.

OK. After looking at the link to the thread posted above, I saw that it was OK to plug a 24-pin EPS12V plug into a standard 20-pin ATX motherboard connector by just letting the 4 extra pins hang over the edge.

I just turned on the computer and it boots to windows desktop so I know it works. No fried Motherboard. Woot.

FYI the 24-pin connector will only plug into the 20-pin motherboard connector ONE way. So there is NO concern as to which side you need to let the 4 pins hang off of. Also the locking clip on the cable will NOT line up with the locking clip on the motherboard........but the connections seems secure and it works.

MUCH thx for help, suggestions and ESPECIALLY the link..

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And btw there should have been a converter cable with it, ive bought the 660 watt version for my storage server, and it comes with several different converter cables.

Darking

As noted above...

Antec does sell the TruePower 550 in 2 different versions, ATX (20-pin connector in ATX12V 1.3) and EPS12V (24-pin connector).

ATX12V 2.2 (?) and later specifies a 24-pin connector (pin-compatible with EPS12V), but I wouldn't be sure if your Antec TruePower550 is ATX12V 2.2 yet, as those are just hitting the market... Antec's own site doesn't reflect all of the updates they're making to their power supply line for ATX12V 2.2...

I think it's more likely you got the TruePower 550 in the EPS12V version instead. It'll still work fine as stated above, at least.

(I'd check Antec's site and formfactors.org right now, but this internet connection at my friend's place is SLLLOOWWW...)

WHY THE HELL would a "mom & pop" type of computer store, which doesn't sell server/dual processor motherboards sell a SERVER power supply!

Man am I pissed...........and naturally they are closed on Sunday so I can't return the power supply.

Does anybody know............IF I get the 24-pin to 20-pin converter will I be able to use this power supply with a motherboard that has the 20-pin ATX plug?

After reading this thread, and noting your inability to do web searches, your own failure to question at time of purchase if a "server" PSU will work with your system, miscellaneous other ignorance, etc., are you still convinced your hands belong in a computer? :unsure:

Until you return for or order an adapter, your PSU could be useful for this: http://www.darwinawards.com/slush/pending2...731-103056.html :rolleyes: