Sign in to follow this  
Ted Koppel's Wig

"Cause two out of three ain't bad"

Remember that old Meatloaf song? Well, as far as my three 75GXP hdd's are concerned, two out of three IS (are) BAD!!....as in bad clusters and click of death.

You know, as if that wasn't bad enough, the surly geek that spoke with from IBM's tech "support" couldn't guarantee that newer models would be sent as a replacements. Consequently, I have no clue what IBM will send me in return for the two failing hdd's.

The 75GXP fiasco is probably old news to everyone here by now. For me, however, I had no clue that these drives were so unreliable until they started failing on me.....after just six months of normal use! When that happened, I started searching the web and started reading all these negative things about this lamentable product.

It's funny, when I first bought these drives in July of last year, I don't recall seeing anything negative about them. But then again, who thought to look for such things when it came to such a "reputable" company like IBM?

Looks like I'm going to take a bath on this one, since I got the impression from IBM's tech support (boy they're rude!) that I might get three 75GXP's as replacements....depending, of course, on what they have in stock. And, of course, if I don't ship these three clunkers back to IBM as if they were gifts from Jesus Christ himself, all bets are off (does IBM own any anti-static packing foam companies?).

I guess a big corporation like IBM can't be bothered by something as trifling as good, honest, and informative customer service. Oh well, as my old Granny used to tell me, "we learn from our mistakes". And the lesson learned here, at least for me, is to never buy another IBM product.

Exactly, that is why I won't own one...

Have a problem with a Western Digital or Maxtor drive? Call them up, they are nice, friendly, and they will have a replacement on your door step the next morning, guarenteed.

No fuss, no muss, just send the old drive back in the box the new drive comes in, no worries...

Jason

Same with you when my IBM 75GXP hard drive crashed and got on the net to read all sort of negative reviews. That is how I found out about this website and felt comfortable when I ordered my WD last week. :)

I just got hosed with one of these damn drives My wife's a CPA and I set up the network in her office and you might know right in the middle of tax season I got 15 CPA's giving me dirty looks every morning. Was running Win NT4.0 Server. Good thing I had a daily backup of all client tax files going to tape at 4:00 am or my life might have been in danger. The drive was only 6 months old, now I know that's about their life expectancy.

IBM, the business company. HaHaHaHaHaHa. On hold for 45 minutes twice and when I get through and explain the situation to some rude bastard, he tells me a replacement will aririve in 1-3 weeks. And he has no idea what it will be replaced with. Yeah, Ok, I'm gonna trust this miserable piece of crap of a drive EVER again? Hello! I don't think so.

Put a WD800BB in to replace it, but what the h#!*? do I do with a 80 gig drive that I can never trust again? Yeah I know, another $300 door stop.

Have a problem with a Western Digital or Maxtor drive?  Call them up, they are nice, friendly, and they will have a replacement on your door step the next morning, guarenteed.

They sent you an advanced replacement overnight??? For free???

They sent you an advanced replacement overnight??? For free???

They charge I think $10 for the service of sending it overnight. But overnight really does mean overnight.

The last time I had to replace a WD drive a year or two back, I called them at just after 2pm in the afternoon, at 10am the next morning FedEx was knocking at my door... THAT is service for you...

Of course, you can do a normal swap if you wish, and that is at no charge.

Jason

I think I would just buy a new drive and send the 75GXPs back afterwards... just to teach IBM a lesson. :twisted: