Rob94hawk

So what comes after the WD Raptor?Anything faster?

Other than solid state drives, which I have no idea why they don't market these to the pc enthusiast, is there anything rumored to come after the western digital raptor in terms of speed?

This is a really fast HD but the pc will always be bottlenecked unless someone comes out with something faster.

There's the HyperOS Hyperdrive III - a bootable, battery backed IDE device to which you can add your own RAM. There's a long thread on this, look for posts by Michael55 (or was it Michael555?)

Given what 8 GB of RAM would cost, it's still out of most peoples' reach.

I doubt you'll see anything significantly faster than the Raptor for desktop use in the near future; at least, not at reasonable cost. When 64-bit CPUs are more commonplace, and MRAM (or similar) makes it out of the lab and into production, we may end up storing most of our OS & programs in some form of non volatile RAM (can't do that now woth the 4 GB limit). But that's still years away.

Hmm... probably nothing soon. At least not til the competition decides they want to play, too. Without Seagate, Fujitsu, or Hitachi pressuring WD with their own 10k consumer product, WD has no real reason to press too hard.

but the pc will always be bottlenecked unless someone comes out with something faster.

Of course, but 90% of the time the bottleneck is not storage.

What is the Bottleneck?

If you think about it, transfer TO and FROM your hard drive is probably the slowest in terms of MB/sec so the HDD is more of a bottleneck than people think.

For example, I changed my Maxtor 80GB drive for a Raptor 74GB just to boot the OS from and it cut boot times by 30+ secs and my games ran faster too without as much hiccuping as before.

> If you think about it, transfer TO and FROM your hard drive is probably the slowest in terms of MB/sec so the HDD is more of a bottleneck than people think.

Yes, sure, I can type emails at about 10 mbyte/s, read internet pages at 100 mbyte/s and my gigabit internet link is also much faster than my HDD.

> If you think about it, transfer TO and FROM your hard drive is probably the slowest in terms of MB/sec so the HDD is more of a bottleneck than people think.

Yes, sure, I can type emails at about 10 mbyte/s, read internet pages at 100 mbyte/s and my gigabit internet link is also much faster than my HDD.

I'm not talking about something as objective/varied as the user because that entails too many variations. I'm talking about STRICTLY the computer haedware components.

And even though your Internet link is called a Gigabit connection does it actually ever surpass 1MB/sec upload/download??

my games ran faster too without as much hiccuping as before.

Probably memory. Try getting more.

Yeah you're probably right there. I was just using it as an example to show that a faster HDD CAN make a noticeable difference.

I'm not talking about something as objective/varied as the user because that entails too many variations. I'm talking about STRICTLY the computer haedware components.

And even though your Internet link is called a Gigabit connection does it actually ever surpass 1MB/sec upload/download??

That was a joke, it's just 8 mbit/s down, 1 mbit/s up.

But who cares about what's the bottleneck in the computer hardware components?

It's about the bottleneck in the total system (computer, internet and user).

And that bottleneck isn't often the HDD.

That was a joke, it's just 8 mbit/s down, 1 mbit/s up.

But who cares about what's the bottleneck in the computer hardware components?

It's about the bottleneck in the total system (computer, internet and user).

And that bottleneck isn't often the HDD.

I can see this thread getting off subject but:

How can the user be the bottle neck? That is ridicules. Maybe the bottle neck for office productivity, but not in terms hard ware. When ever I have to stop doing what I’m doing on my computer its because I’m waiting for something to load. Whether it be a web page, a program, and image or what ever. How does that make me the bottle neck. I don’t know how many times I’ve sat at my computer twiddling my thumps on my 2.8GHz laptop waiting for it to boot, or copy a 3GB file from one place or the other or load on image into paint or what ever…

I can see this thread getting off subject but:

How can the user be the bottle neck? That is ridicules. Maybe the bottle neck for office productivity, but not in terms hard ware. When ever I have to stop doing what I’m doing on my computer its because I’m waiting for something to load. Whether it be a web page, a program, and image or what ever. How does that make me the bottle neck. I don’t know how many times I’ve sat at my computer twiddling my thumps on my 2.8GHz laptop waiting for it to boot, or copy a 3GB file from one place or the other or load on image into paint or what ever…

The user can be the bottleneck because there is no single bottleneck in general.

The bottleneck depends on the task.

If you're waiting for a webpage, it's the internet, not your HDD.

If you're playing a game, it's CPU/RAM/video, not your HDD.

Of course, the HDD can also be the bottleneck for certain tasks, but often, it isn't.

Booting isn't done often, copying 3 gb files isn't done often in general.

Loading an image in Paint doesn't take long.

Processor, videocard, network, internet or user.

I don't agree. After 6 months of heavy notebook computer use I can say confidently that the real bottleneck is almost always the HDD.

Processor, videocard, network, internet or user.

I don't agree. After 6 months of heavy notebook computer use I can say confidently that the real bottleneck is almost always the HDD.

But we're talking about Raptors or better, not about notebook class HDDs.

What exactly is 'heavy nootbook computer use' and is that comparable to the average usage of the average user?

But we're talking about Raptors or better, not about notebook class HDDs.

But the tranfer rate of even the faster HDD is slower than most other PC components of today. If the CPU and memory can do it, then the bottleneck is most probably (I would say quite certanly!) the hard disk. So Raptors are included even if the effect is most visible in case you use slower HDDs.

What exactly is 'heavy nootbook computer use' and is that comparable to the average usage of the average user?

By 'heavy notebook computer use' I meant using my laptop for things I would only do to a good desktop PC. These uses include intensive 3D games, copying-opening-editing big files, multitasking, etc. In my case it's 99% the HDD which lags behind and slows down my work/play.

But the tranfer rate of even the faster HDD is slower than most other PC components of today. If the CPU and memory can do it, then the bottleneck is most probably (I would say quite certanly!) the hard disk. So Raptors are included even if the effect is most visible in case you use slower HDDs.

By 'heavy notebook computer use' I meant using my laptop for things I would only do to a good desktop PC. These uses include intensive 3D games, copying-opening-editing big files, multitasking, etc. In my case it's 99% the HDD which lags behind and slows down my work/play.

This is exactly what I've been trying to say. The various components of the computer HAVE to communicate with the HDD because EVERYTHING (software, drivers, etc.) are on the HDD. And obviously the HDD is not as fast as say RAM so it will definitely be a bottleneck.

And as for games, todays newer games absolutely benefit from a faster HDD because obviously the ENTIRE game cannot be loaded into RAM. Portions of the game have to be read and put into the RAM. Game load times definitely benefit from a faster HDD. After everything has been loaded into RAM then yes, it is the CPU, RAM, Vid Card that are the bottlenecks but until the game is loaded, it is the HDD that is the bottleneck. As I said before, my games ran faster and load times (for example in FARCRY) were noticeably reduced.

> After everything has been loaded into RAM then yes, it is the CPU, RAM, Vid Card that are the bottlenecks but until the game is loaded, it is the HDD that is the bottleneck.

But that's not what you said. You said the HDD was *the* bottleneck and you only based that on the bandwidth/sustained transfer rate of HDDs and other devices.

I didn't deny that the HDD is sometimes the bottleneck.

> And as for games, todays newer games absolutely benefit from a faster HDD because obviously the ENTIRE game cannot be loaded into RAM.

Your reasoning is false.

Movies don't fit entirely in RAM either, but playing movies does not benefit from a faster HDD.

OvdS, the conclusion is... some "mainstream" uses of computers need faster drives. Western Digital started first... where are the other brands? Why are they not bringing 10-12K drives for the masses?

I used to think SATA would eventually close the gap between enterprise SCSI and entry-level PATA. :(

Probably because the other brands have SCSI divisions they want to protect. Samsung is the next logical choice to release a 10K SATA drive, since they don't have a SCSI division, either, but if I had to invest significant resources into going after a new market, I'd likely go into microdrives. Samsung makes cell phones and other small electronic gadgets, so it'd actually be a better fit for them.