alanx

Where is you MFT?

Re: this thread:

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=17043

we learned that the 12.5% of volume space that Windows reserves for MFT expansion is absurd.

Another question. Where is your MFT?

I ask because here

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...rFileTable.html

it says:

When you convert your file system from FAT to NTFS, MFT is created and placed somewhere in the middle of the partition, not at the beginning like when you perform a fresh format.

I created my NTFS drive new, not converted from FAT. So I expected to see it at the beginning, but it's actually located in the middle.

I was wondering where yours was.

I have a 12G WXP system partition with ~9G on it.

Shouldn't there be two copies of the MFT? One at the beginning and one at the middle.

Mine is on the disk somewhere. Don't care where exactly as long as it works. Why do some people have this fixation with the location of the MFT and it's copy?

It's not a fixation. At least, Freud wouldn't call oit that. I just want to know if my disk is laid out like others. The reference states it goes at the beginning. Mine shows up in the middle. Why the discrepancy? I'm curious. Or is the reference wrong? Surely there have been more absurd questions asked here.

As I have understood it, the MFT is in a minimum of two fragments.

1) A small part is at the front of the partition, containing the metadata (whatever that is but I believe it is the description of the MFT).

2) Another part is held within the reserved MFT space. The reserved space is located at approximately 1/3 of the partition.

In addition to that, a copy of the first small part of the MFT is located in the middle of the partition.

Christer

As I have understood it, the MFT is in a minimum of two fragments.

1) A small part is at the front of the partition, containing the metadata (whatever that is but I believe it is the description of the MFT).

2) Another part is held within the reserved MFT space. The reserved space is located at approximately 1/3 of the partition.

Nonsense, the MFT is metadata, and is 1 fragment initially.

The location depends on the version of NT:

Win2K (5.0): 16KB

WinXP (5.1): 3GB?

Win2K3(5.2): 1GB

The MFT zone moves when the disk gets full (85%+), and growing MFT is fragmented.

The MFT backup (first 16 recs) is next to the logfile, at the middle.

Nonsense, the MFT is metadata, and is 1 fragment initially.

You're half-right, but as strange as it may seem, the MFT has its own metadata; sort of meta-meta-data, I guess.

Metadata file C:\$BadClus:$Bad

Metadata file C:\$Boot

Metadata file C:\$Bitmap

Metadata file C:\$LogFile

Metadata file C:\$MFTMirr

Metadata file C:\$MFT::$BITMAP

Yes, these are located outside of the MFT zone.

--Rick

I searched and read all the pages about the MFT and where it is supposed to be located. What I really want to know is actually much simpler: where is yours located?

alanx,

I have copied large files, Ghost spanned images of 650 MB sizes, to a NTFS partition and Windows starts putting them at the front of the partition and it continues until ~1/3 of the partition. There it leaves a blank space which I interpret as the reserved MFT-space. Next, it continues and at the center of the partition, a very small blank space is left and I interpret that as the copy of the small piece of the MFT containing the metadata. After that, it fills up the partition.

This is from the native XP defragmenter analysis.

Christer

Nonsense, ...

Before saying something like that ...... :angry: ...... DO YOUR BLOODY HOMEWORK!

What is your problem? You were wrong, I corrected you.

You're half-right, but as strange as it may seem, the MFT has its own metadata; sort of meta-meta-data, I guess.

Metadata file C:\$BadClus:$Bad

Metadata file C:\$Boot

Metadata file C:\$Bitmap

Metadata file C:\$LogFile

Metadata file C:\$MFTMirr

Metadata file C:\$MFT::$BITMAP

Yes, these are located outside of the MFT zone.

--Rick

I fail to see your point.

The MFT is one of several metadata files. The MFT also contains records for these metafiles.

What is your problem? You were wrong, I corrected you.

YOU are my problem!

1) There are different ways to "correct" a person. One option is to do it in a nice friendly way through a discussion. Another option is to be an arrogant bastard. Regrettably, You chose the latter option.

2) I have my information from well respected sources and I do not believe that they are wrong.

3) You are a source that differ from the other sources.

4) You are not a respected source, at least not by me under the current circumstances, since You provided no proof whatsoever and neither did You ask me for the source of my information.

5) You still haven't done Your homework.

This could have been a good and informative discussion but as far as I am concerned, this is the end of my participation.

Christer

Thank you for you comments. Sorry about the contention.

Graphically speaking, it appears that my MFT is almost half the way into my volume. In Diskeeper, my volume shows 12 rows. The MFT is located at the end of the 5th row and continues to the beginning of the 6th. Diskeper reports that it is not fragmented.

I agree this is not crucial stuff. I was simply curious.

I fail to see your point.

The MFT is one of several metadata files. The MFT also contains records for these metafiles.

As I remember the original thread, someone claimed that the MFT was normally created in two parts.

Was your point, then, that the Metadata (which is physically separated from the MFT) is not technically part of the MFT, and therefore, technically, cannot be considered one of the two fragments of the MFT referred to by the OP?

-- Rick

I searched and read all the pages about the MFT and where it is supposed to be located. What I really want to know is actually much simpler: where is yours located?

CAnal.gif

DAnal.gif

EAnal.gif

FAnal.gif

Wow, that's a nice graphical layout. I might have to try that app.

Thanks. Perfect. Yours seems to be right where mine is, about 2/5ths the way down the volume.

I think that original link I posted, which claims the MFT is located at the beginning of the volume is wrong, or at least dated.

Again, thanks for the gfx.

I noticed that my volumes created with W2K-Pro do indeed have the MFT near the beginning of the volume, along with the MFT zone, or "space reserved for MFT expansion."

So maybe that earlier reference link was accurate fopr W2K NTFS, not WXP.