Prof.Wizard

Is your copy of Windows genuine?

:) as expected (genuine!) or :) as expected (I have a hacked version but who cares)? ;)

As someone who write software since 1983, I prefer there's no piracy..but..

I really hate copy protection sometimes :( I like the ones using internet to check my serial rather than cumbersome CD or stupid activation methods.

It annoys me to no end when I need to search for my original starcraft CD to play a game I purchased, I was looking for nocd crack but I didn't look very hard. My friends just told me put the cd in or image it...sigh

I also loathe activation tactics, I recently flashed my pioneer burner firmware and updated some other firmware, then put in a new 160GB HDD...bam, windows xp won't boot, saying activation required...ARGH

Software can be cheaper if you know where to look...you can be totally legit really without costing an arm and a leg, microsoft offer action pack that give you a lot of stuff, go to microsoft sponsored seminar and you can get visual studio, OS, office, etc. for free, depending on seminar. I purchased my norton through oem, I paid more for certificate of authentiicity to try to make sure they're legit.

Most people can even get around without any M$ software beside the OS.

Browsers are free. Open Office too. AVG antivirus. The funny thing is that many people insist on paying for software with valid free alternatives. I think most people use MS Office because that's what they're used to at work or because it comes with a PC they buy.

As for games, I don't care a terrible lot about them. I only play older games (read: I buy CD's cheap from kids who only want the latest and greatest) or none at all. More than €10 for a game makes me feel very, very bad.

@ work I've stopped installing MS office and went to open office, AVG antivirus instead of norton/mcaffee, recommend firefox/moz instead of IE.

@home I've been using open office for over a year, been using moz since it was called seamonkey, I'm now using the GIMP instead of photoshop.

Games are a sore point. I recently purchased the SIMS 2 as well as some others... decided not to buy farcry because of the poor netplay... decided not to buy doom3 as I thought it was boring, maybe when the netplay becomes popular I can try it out...

AVG antivirus is gratis?

From the Grisoft website (www.grisoft.com): "AVG Anti-Virus FREE is available free-of-charge to home users for the life of the product!"

So, yes it's free; to home users. The above poster said he uses it at work though, so I'm guessing he doesn't mind pirating software.

Most people can even get around without any M$ software beside the OS.

Browsers are free.  Open Office too.  AVG antivirus.  The funny thing is that many people insist on paying for software with valid free alternatives.  I think most people use MS Office because that's what they're used to at work or because it comes with a PC they buy.

Not just that, but MS Office is 10 times better than Open Office or other free packages if you actually do use the advanced features. We use every feature of Excel at work, and Open Office can't even compare. Pivot Tables, Subtotals, Goal Seeking, Solver, Multiple Linear Regression through the Rinlex plug-in, Conditional Formatting, and heavy VBA automation. Even Access is invaluable as a front-end for our Oracle and Siebel databases.

I'll admit, however, if all you need an office software suite for is word processing and basic spreadsheet calculations (come to think of it, most people tend to use Excel inappropriately where a table in Word or a simple database would be better), then MS Office is complete overkill.

So, yes it's free; to home users.  The above poster said he uses it at work though, so I'm guessing he doesn't mind pirating software.

lool

software pirate will never stop as long as the companies charge arm and leg for their software and there are countires where there is no control and poor country and the average income is $2 for the person, so you think in such countries the people will pay $$$ for software?

the software cost and pirate is like the story of the egg and chicken.

agree, building software is not easy, but that doesnt mean you rip off people, make your basic software cheap and then sell add-ons, so the pro people will buy it since they use it for their work and thus you will be fair

My computer doesn't have a genuine copy of Windows! Oh no!!!!

Oh, wait.... I'm on a Mac.

I do have to admit that Office for the Mac is great. It's much better than Office for Windows, even. I tried OpenOffice, and the only thing it couldn't do that I wanted was some very advanced spreadsheet stuff.

The site said that my copy doesn't appear to be valid; it updates alright though. The thing is I bought a legal copy of Windows XP Pro and lost it Microsoft would not replace it so now I have what I have and don't feel a bit guilty about using it.