superphoto

Freebsd Hardware Raid Question for Experts

Problem: Already have a freebsd server, serving a website that needs to be in raid1 configuration. Currently there is no raid and no raid card setup. I need to buy a raidcard that WILL NOT NUKE the data on the drive to created a set.

Basically I need to copy the data on the drive to the second disk and initialize a raid arrray without losing the data.

I do not want to reinstall a live site, any ideas on which controller can do this without nuking my data.

Thanks

Do you have a place to temporary place your data? The easiest way is to format your drive and make a RAID 1 out of that.

As i said i do not want to do that, i want to build it without reformatting.

Do you have a place to temporary place your data? The easiest way is to format your drive and make a RAID 1 out of that.

The drive also has the operating system on it or I could just move the data and do it that way, just to be clear.

there is a way to do it without reinstalling the system. remember to backup your data just in case you make a mess out of it.

before you begin, i assume that your current drive is different than the RAID pair disk and you're using 3ware's escalade raid controller, driver twe.

1) configure the raid set in 3ware's utility. boot into freebsd, make sure twed0 is detected.

2) partition your disk and install a boot manager. use sysinstall if you find fdisk cumbersome.

3) label the created slice. use bsdlabel.

4) newfs the newly created filesystems.

5) use dump/restore to copy the contents of current disk to the array.

# mount /dev/twed0s1a /mnt
# cd /mnt
# /sbin/dump -0af - / | /sbin/restore -rf -
(repeat for every filesystems, replace mount point as necessary)
6) remove old disk, boot with the newly configured raid volume.

the highpoint rocketraid 454 (and presumably 1820a) will do this

http://highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr454.htm

to quote from the relevant section of the manual:

"When creating a RAID 1 (mirror) array, several options will be displayed: Create only, or Create and Duplicate. The Create and Duplicate option will preserve the data on the source disk 1) and will copy it to the mirror or target disk (disk 2).

Create only should only be used when stating from scratch - this option will not

preserve the data on either disk."

when i was enquiring about those 2 boards, they said that NO extra information is written to either drive when using RAID1, thus if the both the board and one of the drives is fried, you could take out the good drive and attach it to a regular ide controller and be able to access all the data just fine