Sign in to follow this  
gunawan_bakri

western digital get very noisy after 1 year

i don't know if you guys have this experience, but i heard from a lot of people western digital drive will get really noisy ( whining noise ) after 1 or 2 years of owning it.

i just want to know is that true ?

i also need to know, if the drive is humming. how long it will last. because i have this western digital. it have a humming noise. but when i check the drive with a program they provide, everything is fine. I also check the S.M.A.R.T value, again everything turn out to be ok. what the hell is going on with this drive ????

The whining noise many people describe is due to wear in the ball-bearings of the motor. Not all drives with ball-bearings will develop this problem, and the degree of wear depends on several factors, such as bearing quality, motor design, usage pattern, prior drive handling, and plain luck-of-the-draw.

If the drive is humming due to bearing wear, it's not likely to kill your drive outright. Severe bearing wear will cause an increase in acoustics and potentially hurt performance, but that's about it.

Fluid motors do not exhibit the same wear problems as ball-bearing motors (they wear in other ways, but it's the not the more common wear most people associate with ball-bearings). Thus, a drive that uses fluid motors is unlikely to have this problem. WD finally started converting over to fluid motors recently, so a new drive will likely have such a motor. Seagate, Hitachi, and Maxtor are already (AFAIK), 100% fluid motors in their drives. I think Samsung is, too, or is converting over.

Samsung has been using FDBs almost exclusively since the introduction of the P80/V80 about a year ago (the first model was the FDB'd P40). Only in extreme low-end models (e.g. VL40) are BBs still being used.

AFAIK the problem with WDs is less that they hadn't made FDB drives for a while (though they still were last) but that newer and older production drives could get mixed and not even "FDB-guaranteed" models had FDBs in all cases (rather embarassing for 'em).

Samsung has been using FDBs almost exclusively since the introduction of the P80/V80 about a year ago (the first model was the FDB'd P40). Only in extreme low-end models (e.g. VL40) are BBs still being used.

Forgot to add: I have, however, heard that P80s are not all created equal. Particularly the JVC motors not marked "FDB" were known to be notorious for whining. (Whereas the Nidecs were usually OK except for occasional vibration.) I don't know how things look currently, I'll check silentpcreview.com... No dramatic changes, apparently.

I have two WD 2000JBs, one is about 12 months old and the other about 6 months old. The older one has recently started making an annoying whining noise when it's spinning - I had a ~400MB Seagate back in the mid 90s that made a similar noise.

It's really annoying the hell out of me, so I really hope the other one doesn't start doing the same thing.

Dave

I've had WD drives hum very loudly for over 10 years. Still have 850mb drives that work great! IMHO, drive noise is not really correlated with impending failure.