Sign in to follow this  
Archeon

Difference between MaxLine III and DiamondMax 10 ?

Hi all !

I'm checking out some HD's now because I'm in the market to buy 2 within the next couple of months.

I've noticed that Maxtor has released two new lines of drives : The Maxline III line and the DiamondMax 10 line. Could somebody tell me what the difference is between those drives? As far as I can tell, they both come in 250 and 300gig flavours, each have 16mb of cache and both are native SATA.

So what's the difference ???

Thanks in advance !

The Maxline III is a drive for "midline applications." Only a marketing rep could come up with a term like that.

The DM10 is NOT native SATA and comes in PATA and SATA flavors along with 8 AND 16MB caches, so make sure you're buying the right one.

The Maxlines mention a guaranteed MTBF of 1 million hours, but the spec sheet doesn't mention NCQ.

I know the DiamondMax 10's run 1 degree © or so hotter than the Maxline III's.

Maxtor uses the DiamondMax series in the retail box versions you see in the stores. I have never seen Maxline's in a retail box so I guess that sets what Maxtor have in mind for thier end users. Cheap server people (Max Line III) vs gamer/multimedia (DiamondMax 10) could be what they mean for those "midline applications" aplications?

I wish SR would just buy one from newegg to review/test it as I want to buy a new hard drive soon...

The DM10 is NOT native SATA and comes in PATA and SATA flavors along with 8 AND 16MB caches, so make sure you're buying the right one.

This is what is says on the Maxtor site :

Based on an integrated, single-chip native SATA solution, DiamondMax 10 drives feature native command queuing along with the company’s exclusive dual-processor technology and large buffers to deliver unparalleled speeds compared to traditional drives in their class.

Maxtor site

So I guess this one IS also native SATA ?

I really don't know which one of those two drives is the better drive. I hope that storagereview does a review on them soon!

The DiamondMax 10 drive does seem to be a bit cheaper than the Maxline though. About 25 euros here in Belgium.

But all other specs seem similar. So what is the difference?

Oooooh, the mystery ! ;)

I'm went by the info at www.maxtor.com - I didn't take the time to look at their PDF specsheets but looked at their respective info pages.

It wouldn't shock me if they're the same drive, the only difference being the Maxlines having a longer MTBF or more rigorous testing routine.

Actually, a lot of things can beat SCSI.

Don't get me wrong, a 66Mhz/64-bit card on a proper bus with a 3-4 drive RAID 5 array is a nice thing, but a 74GB Raptor (single OR arrayed) will kick the crap out of a 15k SCSI drive value-wise and speed-wise.

The only upsmanship the SCSI has, and will have, is the ultra low seek times, on-the-whole better construction, and complete offloading of I/O tasks.

Whether SAS will bridge the gap between performance and value remains to be seen.