Prof.Wizard

Apple iMac G5

I just find it VERY weird that people buy computers with little or no upgrade future.  Then again, "Apples are different." :rolleyes:

I fail to see the problem - if you want expandability, then buy a PowerMac. Upgradeability galore, including graphics, storage, etc. FW800. You name it.

The iMac is what 75% of the population will ever use a computer for: a basic home PC, albiet with better multimedia and fewer games. Limited expandbility - but again, 75% of the market just doesn't care. For many households, that's not really much of a trade-off - they don't play games much, and they really care about cataloging pictures and videos of the grandkids. Or they mix homemade music.

I think this is actually great product segmentation by Apple. 75% of the households can buy an iMac and be perfectly happy...and do it at a cost that is only slightly higher than a competing flat screen system from Dell or Gateway. (In particular, the pricing on Gateway's Profile5 all-in-one system seems spot on to the new iMacs. Coincidence? I think not...)

For those that want more flexibility and expandability, the PowerMac serve that other 25% of the population. The PowerMac is just that - a hellaciously powerful machine with dual-processor capabilities, good graphics, and a fantastic industrial design with a great case. Yeah, you can build a competing machine for less...but that part of the market is a bit less price sensitive. Plus, most people that buy PowerMacs have a pretty compelling reason (read: Final Cut Pro, etc.) to buy only a Mac.

The only part of the market that is not well served by Apple is the slice that wants a very powerful machine and IS price sensitive - ENTHUSIASTS. For many of us, we will end up with PCs, either bought or more likely handbuilt. Apple can't compete in that market, and frankly doesn't want to very much. But I know a growing number of enthusiasts who lust after certain parts of the Mac now, either the new OS, the software, or even the case design. So there will be more converts, especially among those that can afford to own multiple machines...

Future Shock

PS - and I don't think Apple "left out" features as an oversight - I think they had a very hard price point to hit to compete with Gateway's Profile5 and keep traditional Apple margins. They know that most people in THAT segment of the market will buy on emotional appeal, look&feel, and price, not what particular graphics chip happens to be in it (seriously, the graphics card numbers game is too difficult to follow for almost ANYONE but an enthisiast these days).

OMG - for anyone that thinks APPLE used a lowly graphic chipset in the new iMac, here is what comes built-in with the PC-equivalent, the Gateway Profile5:

* 17" LCD flat panel display 

* Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 with 64MB shared memory buffer

I have to think ANY ATI or nVidia product released in the last 2 years will beat Intel's chipset graphics...and in fact, I know so from the benchies.

The problem is not that Apple jumped so low, the problem is that Gateway set the bar so low (and hence the competitive price-point). The two 17" systems both cost the same...so if anything Apple is giving you more "bang for the buck" in graphics...

Future Shock

What FS said... (mainly in his first post)

As others have said, it all depends what you are doing with the machine. If Apple put in a fast video card, huge hard drives, tons of RAM, FW800, GigE, etc., why would you buy a PowerMac? As Future Shock pointed out, my mother who likes to edit photos, send E-mail and type up policies for work does not even need a 9800 Pro or 5700 Ultra. Intel's integrated solution is more than adequate.

PowerMac = professional. If you want those features, buy the real machine. If they gave everyone the options to beef up their iMacs to higher end video cards, GigE, FW800, etc., how many PowerMac's would they really sell? And let's not forget the heat issue since that was a major reason for the delay. Faster video = more heat.

Now of course, I am not saying it would be cool to have an iMac G5 with a 256MB 6800 Ultra...but the thing would probably melt! :blink:

I can honestly claim total ignorance.

So, you admit to being a Mac user?

No, I can claim total ignorance of Macs. I never use them. With Windows questions I can't claim ignorance and family wants free tech support.