dlevens

Did I make a mistake switching to Hitachi?

Hey guys,

I have been switching around from vendor to vendor over the past 10 years. Started with IBM, tried many more, got stuck on Western Digital the past 4 years and finally made the move to Hitachi buy buying the current leaderboard 7K250 and a 160GB Hitachi. Well my 160GB died after a year with 0x75 TRC 75004BED and when I went to the website to request the RMA I was shocked to find out I have to mail them the freeking drive before they will replace it??? WTF is this? How is this an acceptable policy, when 1. you would think most customers want to at least attempt to recover their data off the bad drive to the new drive (especially since my still somewhat boots) and 2. How many customers do you know who have the right shipping box sitting around to send a HD properly. This is BS. With WD it was a simple form on the web, not even a phone call, and my credit card and a cross shipment was on the way to arrive in a few days. Same with Maxtor.

Is there some back door process where you can have an Hitachi cross shipped that I am missing? If not then I say screw um, I don't care how fast and quiet if the RMA is a pain in the ass and they won't cross ship then give me second best speed and sound with a proper replacement policy.

If I am missing something here let me know. As you can see I am pissed off. No hard drive company should be given our business if they don't take care of their failed POS drives in a way that does not cause problems for the end user. Do they expect me to go buy a second hard drive to back up my data before I mail it? OR do they just assume all bad drives are unrecoverable anyway so screw um? OR do they assume everyones backup is ALWAYS up to date? In my case I only need to recover about 4 days of work from my last full backup, but I bet there are many who don't have any backups but are expected to either buy another drive before shipping or just kiss their data goodbye.

And as far as shipping the POS dead drive they expect it in a proper container that we have to buy? It's a freeking DEAD drive, who gives a flying crap whether its bubble wrapped or not. If you want your dead drive shipped safely then you send me the freeking box.

If I am missing the whole boat here and there is some magical passphrase to use or some special number where you can give Hitachi your credit card and have a cross shipped drive then PLEASE let me know. Otherwise they can kiss my ass because I they won't see another dime from me.

Dennis

So was I right? Hitachi only offers a replacement after you mail them the drive? Anyone else have experience with this process recently? How long from the day you mail did your replacement come? Did you buy another drive to save your data first? Did you go buy some $10 box to meet their specs to mail it in?

Dennis

Yup, that's how hitachi works. Takes about 1-3 weeks for a replacement. Save the box it comes in for the next failure. :lol:

Seriously, though, it's not a bad idea to have at least two drives. They're pretty cheap and you can use the 2nd one for backups.

I'm batting 0-for-2 on Hitachi 7K250's.

One developed a bad sector. I lost one file and RMA'ed the drive. The new drive has the the warranty period ending right around the time of the original drive.

The other lost the file system. $400 in data recovery later, I did have my files back. The drive passed DFT, but doing a 'zero drive' function failed every time. What's worse is that the replacement drive is a "serviceable used part" and the warranty period is several months shorter than the drive it replaced. I will have to yell at Hitachi for this.

Both drives touted 3-year warranties on the original retail boxes, but both only had 1 year warranties when I checked the warranty status. I had to call to get the warranty period updated.

My friend's old-ish Travelstar 20GN failed. My other friend's 60gb 80GN, only a few months old, also failed recently in his Dell laptop. He got a Fujitsu as a replacement. This is MUCH worse than the multitude of Maxtors, WD's and Seagates I go through as I buy and sell parts and build computers.

Unless Hitachi is willing to do something special to earn my bisiness, these will be the last drives I purchase from them. Hopefully, the 7200RPM laptop drives from other manufacturers are as speedy as the 7K60 and more reliable than Hitachi's have been for me so far.

Well then I say screw um. Gonna return my new 250gb 7k250 and sell my other 160gb hitachi on ebay. Later Hitachi, I hope you go out of business with your POS replacement policy. 3 weeks? give me a freekin break.

Dennis

Well then I say screw um. Gonna return my new 250gb 7k250 and sell my other 160gb hitachi on ebay. Later Hitachi, I hope you go out of business with your POS replacement policy. 3 weeks? give me a freekin break.

Dennis

Read the warranty policy before you start whining. With IBM, and now Hitachi, all I had to do to create an RMA was do the online stuff and send the drive. I had a couple of 15 75GXP's some time ago, one of which was ding on me (theother did that later) and I had a lot of data on it I coudl recover. I told IBM and asked a replacement before I sent back the defective unit. It arrived 4 days later (weekend in between).

Please quit whining.

I agree with HisMajestyTheKing. Western Digital have only recently been offering advanced RMA replacements. Seagate, Samsung, and Fujitsu still don't. Fujitsu and Samsung don't even offer warranty service at all - you have to go to your supplier or retailer. Samsung, Seagate, and Western Digital all openly state that they replace with refurbished drives. 3 out of 4 drives I've had replaced by Hitachi were NEW. 1 of them was of larger capacity than the original. 3 out of 4 were replaced within 1 week.

Western Digital? 3 out of 3 Refurbished. 1 of which were DOA. 2 weeks each.

As far as I'm concerned, Hitachi/IBM make a wide range of high-performance, quiet, and reliable disks. Their prices are also often cheaper than average.

Quit whining.

I agree with HisMajestyTheKing. Western Digital have only recently been offering advanced RMA replacements. Seagate, Samsung, and Fujitsu still don't. Fujitsu and Samsung don't even offer warranty service at all - you have to go to your supplier or retailer. Samsung, Seagate, and Western Digital all openly state that they replace with refurbished drives. 3 out of 4 drives I've had replaced by Hitachi were NEW. 1 of them was of larger capacity than the original. 3 out of 4 were replaced within 1 week.

As far as I'm concerned, Hitachi/IBM make a wide range of high-performance, quiet, and reliable disks. Their prices are also often cheaper than average.

Quit whining.

Seagate does offer advanced replacement. Check out the FAQ under the support section on their site.

I agree with HisMajestyTheKing. Western Digital have only recently been offering advanced RMA replacements. Seagate, Samsung, and Fujitsu still don't. Fujitsu and Samsung don't even offer warranty service at all

I've advanced RMAed drives back to Samsung before.

Best warranty service is Maxtor though.

My two dozen Maxtor drives that were/are still under warranty that Maxtor would refuse warranty service on begs to disagree with your opinion...

Seagate from now on? :D

How is your experience (if any?) with them regarding RMAs?

I'm rather pleased with Samsung, but after my last _ADVANCED_ RMA (since they don't do A-RMAs per this forum...) through them, I was surprised by the way they packed it. (Everyone involved who saw the packaging was surprised, quite frankly...) While Samsung did accept the returned drive in the packaging (making me implicity aware that it apparently IS a Samsung-approved shipping container!), even the UPS CSR questioned "they shipped it in THIS!?"

LOL. Well, I understand where you're coming from, but a company can engineer a good RMA process by analysing the downfalls of another companies'. The same could be said of Orange, the UK mobile phone company. By being the last 2G network to establish in the UK, they avoided making a lot of the mistakes that the other networks made, simply by seeing them.

ibm has always had advance replacements, i've used it many times. it was a fax-in form. obviously you will have to give them your cc# for security. i cannot really say if hitachi has the same policy in place but you should dig deeper and try to speak to 2nd level techsupport or something along those lines. tell them you could do that before with IBM drives and maybe it'll help.

i can see how you can get discouraged from buying hitachi/ibm drives but there are millions of other that will say just the opposite. I for one use a boatload of drives all from different manufacturers and havent seen anything i would call abnormal failure rates from any mfg.

p.s. i used to exclusively buy ibm for IDE before and havent had a single failure, not even the 75gxp series.

i should probably clarify because my last post can be confusing. i havent had a single ibm/hitachi drive fail in my personal use but i did rma drives for a big company so thats how i know ibm had advanced replacement.

Quit whining.

Exactly why i stick to Maxtor. **NEW** replacements are KEY !

Western Digital has the RAM process right. No need to call in. Using the website you can request an advanced RMA with cc# 24/7.

Mr Majesty, you can call my bitching at Hitachi for their pain in the ass RMA process whinning, but saying I cannot complain because I failed to read the return policy, I will have to disagree with. It was my fault for not reading before hand but I still have a the right to say they screwed up and should make it easier for the customer to return failed products.

So far I have replaced about 3 WD drives and all 3 were most likely not new but so far all 3 were not DOA. From my experience the replacement drives from most companies worked well. I think this is because they are fully tested before they leave, which I am not sure is done on new drives.

Anyway, I am done with this thread, thanks for everyone opinion. I personally am gonna stick with the companies who have the the warranty process done right.

Dennis

Western Digital does make it easy to do returns. I had a drive go bad WD800 BB and did the online RMA process - it was so easy. Of course my return drive was bad (sounded like a chainsaw) but I just did another easy online RMA. New drive showed up 2 1/2 weeks later. It just stinks that I now have to RMA that drive because I get a failure code in their utilities - out of the box. I am getting ready to RMA this drive now (recertified like th other one). Hopefully my 3rd replacement drive will work!