Sign in to follow this  
cheezies

raptor 36gb whine noise is driving me nuts

Fans are one thing, but the whining noise comming from this 36GB raptor is driving me nuts. I need to find a replacement hard drive and I'm thinking about a Segate Barracuda 120GB SATA.

I use my PC mainly for gaming, will my PC be noticibly slower when loading levels in games (e.g. Doom 3) if I make this upgrade? I also recall reading somewhere than the 74GB raptor doesn't make the whining noise.

Which whine noise are you talking about, the one that comes from the drive itself or the one resulting from the vibrational effects of a 10k drive in a case? You could solve the first issue by buying the newer Raptor but the second issue would remain. To solve both you either need to decouple the drive from the case or get a 7200rpm drive like the Hitachi with the no seek firmware.

Wow, you're good. Now that I listen to it, there is definately 2 different noises. 1.) the whining noise that won't quit and 2.) the vibration whine as well. I bought my raptor over a year ago and I've heard the new revisions have fixed this.

I don't mind getting a Hitachi 120 or 80 GB SATA if it can load Doom 3 just as fast as a Raptor 36GB can. In addition it will run quieter and have more space.

It won't be as fast as the raptor at loading levels in Doom3. But how much slower, and whether that is worth the added capacity, reduced noise, and reduced temperature is something you need to decide.

In about 2 minutes I'm about to replace the 360GD in this system with a Samsung 160GB SATA drive w/8MB cache. It should be much quieter and cooler, with a minor performance hit in places I don't care about. How important is a 5-10% hit on loading levels if it doesn't affect FPS at all?

It won't be as fast as the raptor at loading levels in Doom3. But how much slower, and whether that is worth the added capacity, reduced noise, and reduced temperature is something you need to decide.

In about 2 minutes I'm about to replace the 360GD in this system with a Samsung 160GB SATA drive w/8MB cache. It should be much quieter and cooler, with a minor performance hit in places I don't care about. How important is a 5-10% hit on loading levels if it doesn't affect FPS at all?

I agree with that, as long as my FPS isn't affected than 5-10% is a small price to pay for reduced noise, and heat.

Why did you choose the Samsung and not the Hitachi?

The Samsungs have recieved very high praise from people I trust. Based on their reccomendation, I've purchased about 15 of them in the last month or so. I've found them amazingly quiet and very cool-running. Further, IIRC Samsung is the only manufacturer to still run 3 year warranties on all their drives. If you take a look at the performance database, the difference in speed isn't that much between the current-generation 7200RPM/8MB/SATA drives.

I wouldn't call it an upgrade, more like a downgrade :*)

Not if you take factors besides speed into account. I used to run 2x250GB storage drives and 2xRapors in my system, then the noise started driving em nuts. Not I can get away with only running a single drive. Big enough for all my important stuff yet quiet/cool enough for a "silent" system.

I heard that the new 74 gb raptors don't make the same whining noise. But $300 CAD is a lot to pay for an 80 GB hard drive. I'm seriously considering the Hitachi 80 GB though.

Is the Hitachi 7K400 80 GB loud compared to the Samsung?

I dunno whether I'd recommend the single-platter 7K250s, based on what I've read here. At least them don't seem to be all too speedy. (They're also rather different from the models with more platters, another case and all.) A SP0812N, on the other hand, should be pretty much a safe bet. It's one of the few 80 gig drives that can be had with 8 megs of cache these days.

Actually I think if I get a new 74 gb raptor, the whining noise will be gone. I don't mind the seeking noise (sounds kinda cool) but this dreaded whining noise! If the 74 gb raptor doesn't have the whining noise, then I'll most likely get that.

Further, IIRC Samsung is the only manufacturer to still run 3 year warranties on all their drives.

First, I got to mention the fact I have Samsung Spinpoint P80 80GB (SATA). But after reading your comment about warranty, I just have to say about the warranty that have you missed or ignored the fact that Seagate offers 5 year warranty on their drives?

I replaced all my 360GBs with the Raptor 74s. Not only are they a lot faster, they are *far* quieter. I have one in the shuttle XPC that is beside me right now, and the only thing I hear is the fan from the Athlon 3500+.

Michael

But after reading your comment about warranty, I just have to say about the warranty that have you missed or ignored the fact that Seagate offers 5 year warranty on their drives?

Thanks for the correction. But it's not as good as it sounds. Here is a link to Seagate's Warranty Overview (PDF). It's not really a 5-year warranty, as the last 2 years don't get you a replacement drive.

And some information from someone else I trust:

A few points WRT to Samsung:

They're quiet. Not quite as quiet as Seagates, but close.

They're fast (at least the SP161N 8MB cache ones are). Not quite as fast as Hitachi, but close.

They're inexpensive. Not quite as inexpensive as WD, but frankly the WD-buyers of the world get what they frickin' deserve. On the other side, I consistently see Seagate drives in the upper tier of pricing for every product it makes.

They have a proven record of reliability. Samsung made some dogs back in the 4 - 8GB era. Since then they've apparently been golden. I've had a single problem with a Samsung drive out of maybe 200 I've purchased (and the drive in question was received with its defect.