marjo

3ware 9500S-8MI on Abit IC7-MAX3

I have this Ic7-MAX3 motherboard and I have put a 3ware 9500S-8MI raid controller on it. The controller connects to 2 cages, each with 4 200GB Western Digital HDs for a total of 1600GB.

As the raid controller did not come with multilane sata cable octopusses I ordered these from 3ware. They told me that these cables are not yet "officially" out, will be on the shelfs later this year, but they sold me a few.

Now that I try to cranck up the system, I cannot see that Drives, there are no drives to select...

I was first thinking that maybe the controller cannot go into a 32 bit slot, but having read this board , that doesn't seem to be a problem.

The I thought maybe the controller is bad, and got a brand new one, but the problem remains.

I am getting very frustrated.

Anyone has any suggestions? Anyone has this setup up and running?

did you go into the cards bios? <alt-3> at boot time, and add your drives into an array? even if its just JBOD you have to do this before windows will be allowed to touch the drives.

Yap. That's exactly where I don't see them... they are missing. Subsequently I cannot add them. I don't have an OS on yet obviously. Am building from scratch.

ok, have you tried just normal sata cables?

perhaps the problem is with the cages, if you connect directly to the drives, does it work then? Who's cage are you useing? The 9500's are picky about which cage they'll work with, and which drives will work in those cages...

Cages are 3Ware Drive Cage RDC-400-SATA. I haven't tried regular cables, I thought only multilane cables would work - I don't see connectors for regular serial SATA on the storage controller board.

He is correct, he has to use MultiLane connectors. The 3Ware Ml series only support MultiLane, not SATA cables. I find it odd that neither cable is working. Is there maybe a power issue to the cages? Do the drives in the cages power up right away?

Cages are 3Ware Drive Cage RDC-400-SATA. I haven't tried regular cables, I thought only multilane cables would work -  I don't see connectors for regular serial SATA on the storage controller board.

I was thinking, of setting aside the drive cages for now, and plugging the drives directly into the card, with a normal sata cable...

That will work if he has the poor man's version of that cage, the newer ones are multilane on both ends. I like them, very few cables, one power and one sata-ML for each cage. Now if I could just afford them for my home server.

Thr drives in the cages are spinning, so I don't know if there is a power issue. Is there maybe something I have to set in BIOS? The cages are 3ware cages with individula SATA connectors for each drive, I guess this is what you would call the "poor mans cage" as it doesn't have the "one" connector. I got 3ware cages becuase I assumed that that would be the way to go. The booklet that came with the Controller said to use "miultilane to individual SATA' cable for this setup. Of course, that cable did not come with the card. I called 3ware, and they said the cable was not in production yet, but they would send me a few, which they did. But it seems as this setup is at least supposed to be possible (otherwise they wouldn't have mentioned it in their manual, right?).

lets supouse your cages, cables and controler are ok for a moment :)

did you tried these wd drives in other environment (integrated controler -> ordinary sata cable -> wd disk)? if not, do a try :)

Iam sure the odds on 8 hard drives all being DOA (assuming they're new) are extreamly long. But thats a lot of hard drives, how big is your power supply? and is it a good name-brand?

Im have tested Hard Drives. They are good. They were all brand new out of box (WD200).

What should I look at on the power supply to determine if it is powerful enough?

I tried just hooking up one of the drivecages for therea total of 4 harddrives, and they did not show up either!

The current cages only had an issue with one line of drives, and even then it was only with older firmware revs of the cages. Current cages should be fine.

This really does seem like it's the cages themselves. A surprise, but it's easier to see 2 cages failing than every single port on both multilane connectors or eight drives failing.

Have you opened an incident with 3ware about this? I would, that's how they dicovered the issue with the old cages and the older maxline drives...

Michael

I have this Ic7-MAX3 motherboard and I have put a 3ware 9500S-8MI raid controller on it. The controller connects to 2 cages, each with 4 200GB Western Digital HDs for a total of 1600GB.

As the raid controller did not come with multilane sata cable octopusses  I ordered these from 3ware. They told me that these cables are not yet "officially" out, will be on the shelfs later this year, but they sold me a few.

Now that I try to cranck up the system, I cannot see that Drives, there are no drives to select...

I was first thinking that maybe the controller cannot go into a 32 bit slot, but having read this board , that doesn't seem to be a problem.

The I thought maybe the controller is bad, and got a brand new one, but the problem remains.

I am getting very frustrated.

Anyone has any suggestions? Anyone has this setup up and running?

There is a known bug on 3Ware's site with the 9500 not recognizing drives from some of their RDC400 chassis.

SG