Pete84

Adaptec 19160 + 2 36LP ERROR

I just got a pair of Seagate ST336704LW 36Gb drives and have been trying to get them to 'work' with my Adaptec 19160 SCSI card. So far a single drive has been recoginized, I think.

I have the IDs set for #s 4 and 5, with 4 on the header closest to the cart and five on the end of the cable.

On boot, the Adaptec BIOS comes up, and picks up a drive on channel 4, and that is all the data that it gives.

Any idea as to what I am missing? This is my first time with SCSI, and the PDF files that Seagate and Adaptec have don't seem to help my out much . . .

Thanks!!

Pete-

First, make sure you are using an U160 certified cable. Second, if your cable does not have an attached terminator at the end, make sure that the closest drive to the card has pins 1/2 on jumper J2 (on the side of the drive) open, and the drive furthest from the card has 1/2 jumpered.

-Michael

(...)

Second, if your cable does not have an attached terminator at the end, make sure that the closest drive to the card has pins 1/2 on jumper J2 (on the side of the drive) open, and the drive furthest from the card has 1/2 jumpered.

(...)

if he does not have an actual terminator, jumpering the last drive to supply termination power will do nothing. he has to have an lvd compliant terminator at the end of the chain for this feature to even have any meaning. secondly it is not necessary especially with the cable length he's working with (presumably 3-4 device cable at the most). thirdly he is using an adaptec controller and all adaptec controllers supply termination power to the chain by default.

pete:

to troubleshoot this situation you will have to connect the second drive to the same connector on the cable from which the first drive got recognized. if the drive is recognized fine and you do in fact have an lvd compliant cable and a terminator, you should inspect all the connectors on the cable for bent or touching pins and set them straight.

if you do not have an lvd compliant cable it is possible that you have a low impedance flat ribbon cable which is not suited for u160 operation and without a terminator at the end the signal reflection and feedback prevents the second drive from being recognized (usually happens with longer cables). in such a case the solution is simple - buy an lvd cable + terminator. if none of the above fits the bill i'm afraid the second drive might be defective.

There are 2 places you can set your SCSI ID. Where specifically did you set your ID on the drive?

I had a similar problem and it turned out my jumpers at the bottom of the drive were the same screwing me up. Problem still occured even after I changed the ID from the back and not the bottom.

Ok, here goes;

The cable I am using is two drive connectores, a built in terminator, and is braided.

"Adaptec Certified" is written on it; nothing to indicate the certification of what level is given though.

I have tried what wfn suggested, connecting the non-responsive drive to the connector of the active drive, but this yields nothing new.

I set the ID for the drives with the pins on the J6 area, on the 'front' of the drive.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st336704lw.html

upon closer inspection of the webpage of Seagate's, it appears that it is necessary to set the ID on the J5 pins on the back of the drive. Will try and see how that goes . . .

Hi Pete!

For your SCSI config, you can try to go to teh 19160 BIOS, find the drive configuration and reduce the speed to 40 MB/s (UW) speed. This is just to test if you can detect the drives that way. It would be in differential SCSI, and that might be what your cable was certified at.

If things work then, you can try to increase speed gradualy. My guess is that it could be a non-LVD cable/terminator...

Good luck...

MEJV

(...)

find the drive configuration and reduce the speed to 40 MB/s (UW) speed. This is just to test if you can detect the drives that way. It would be in differential SCSI, and that might be what your cable was certified at.

(...)

Ultra Wide standard is Single Ended and not differential. There are two types of differential SCSI HVD and LVD (high voltage/low voltage). Since Pete is using a 19160 which is an LVD card backward compatible with SE peripherals and two LVD hard drives, HVD is not even pertinent. Moreover, HVD is incompatible on the electrical level with either of the above mentioned signaling protocols.

If the cable is braided it is designed for differential performace. Two types of insulations are used - PVC (polyvinyl chloride) which is blue with some white or gray wires and TPE (thermoplastic elastomer) and this one is orange with white. PVC is rated up to Ultra2 (80MB/s) but with work with Ultra160 peripherals if it's not very long. TPE is rated up to Ultra320.

Again, I would like to bring up the bent pins issue as it does happen very often. As far as the jumpers on the drive -- those are very well documented, just set them in one place and you'll be fine. You can always try a different cable as well.

Sorry for the delay . . . my network and DSL connection aren't terribly efficient;

I have checked for any bent pins; none found.

Set both the J5 and J6 jumpers to corresponding IDs on the individual drives; no change.

My cable is blue and white, so I'll try and lower the speeds and try and detect the drives wfn.

Thanks!

I have tried everything . . .

Lowering the speed to 80mb/s, switching the drive connections, single drive attempts, but all I have gotten is a semi nasty squeal from one. This might be normal from a SCSI drive, I don't know.

I think I need to cash in on their warranty . . . How hard is it to prove to Seagate that a drive is dead?

It does not look like you tried all the speed possible, even turning off Wide, and all the way to turning to async.

If THAT does not work... then try to RMA...

MEJV

Why don't you use SeaTools? If you call Seagate, they will tell you to run SeaTools before they give you an RMA anyways.

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html

if you've tried moving the working drive to all connectors on the cable and it keeps coming up fine and the other drive remains dead regardless of it's position -- you have a bad drive. i dont see the necessity to keep lowering the sync speed on that drive because you're not going to want to run it in 8bit async 5mb/s mode anyway even if it spins up and goes online. get a warranty replacement and forget about it. tell the guys at seagate that the drive is offline in seatools.