J-frog

Watercooling a success!

I assembled a computer from spare parts as an experimental watercooling system. The watercooling system consists of a 120vac water pump, a water block and reservoir off Ebay, tubing from Home Depot, fittings from Friedman Bros., and an old water chiller (garage sale find). The chiller has a refrigeration system in it(basically vapor phase cooling like what the Vapochill cases use).

Specs on the computer:

Asus A7V8X

Gainward GeForce Ti 4200 w/80mm fan jimmied to the heatsink

2xKingston 512mb DDR333, 1gig total

Athlon XP 2400+

Boot drive: Seagate X15-36LP 18gb

Other drives:

Fujitsu MAN3184MP

Seagate Cheetah 18LP 9.1gb

Maxtor D740X 80gb FDB

IBM/Hitachi 120GXP 80gb

Onboard AC97 sound

Lite-On Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive

Enermax 350w power supply.

The processor runs at ~22C/71F under load!

I haven't had any leaks yet, and only a minor condensation problem at one point.

I'll have to post some pics of this setup soon!

Set the refrigeration up so it cycles as needed. You see, there was a thermostat to control the fan on the chiller, so I bypassed that because the compressor was overheating due to lack of airflow over the condenser. Then I had a problem with condensation, so I rewired the chiller so the thermostat could control the compressor, and it's been pretty much condensation free :)

Have you tried overclocking it yet to see how high you can get it? Might as well take the experiment to the next step since it isn't a production machine :D

Do all of your "spare parts" machines have 5 drives in them?

No. I have my main machine listed in my sig, the older machine for music, and the spare parts machine. The parts came from my friend's rigorous upgrading, my first computer I built and various garage sales/surplus. I wanted to see how many drives I could jam in there :) . Two are IDE, and three are SCSI.

Are serious only 22c on full load, I just cant believe this, its way too low, not even if the cpu is under idle it wont be that low. Can you show some pics of your system. If such low I will get watercooling.

[Well, elec, that's the point with watercooling... ]

This is not what you commonly call water cooling. This is compressor phase shift cooling - there's a major difference:

[/The chiller has a refrigeration system in it(basically vapor phase cooling like what the Vapochill cases use).

]

Hope I did the quoting right...

Wow, never before have I seen so much rust as part of an operating computer system....

That's awesome J-frog. Simply awesome. It reminds me of the Millenium Falcon :).

I think the evaporator is my favourite component based on shear character. All of that must have taken quite a bit of work.

Wow, never before have I seen so much rust as part of an operating computer system....

That's why the chiller was a Garage Sale Special. I saw that and thought it'd make a cool watercooling system :)

I think the evaporator is my favourite component based on shear character. All of that must have taken quite a bit of work.

That was part of the chiller, I didn't build it. I got the chiller whole as you see it. I only assembled the tubing, pump and waterblock, and rewired the chiller.

I tried overclocking by changing the multiplier from 15X to 18X and the processor still runs at the same temp of 22-23C. Changing the multiplier to 20x prevented the MB from POSTING, and upping the bus frequency caused W2K to freeze during boot with a message about NTLDR missing and to use the repair feature, so I assume I can't overclock this much. I would like to see how well my system could cool a Prescott core in the future ;)

Update: Based on a many watercooling guide and being that my evaporator is aluminum, I added antifreeze yesterday, so now the tubing and reservoir are a cool neon green color :D

It definatly sounds like you've hit a limit on the FSB; probably RAM.

Try upping the voltage to your CPU a little and try to get a better multiplier.

Short of using liquid nitrogen, this has got to be the coolest cooling rig I have ever seen...not just because it works so well, but because of the character of the whole thing. I think a previous poster was right - the Millenium Falcon of water cooled rigs! Rust with high performance - kind of like a '69 Camero...

Future Shock

Oh wow I can't wait to see this baby with a prescott too!

Kudos on the build dude!

That will be a little while...

Short of using liquid nitrogen, this has got to be the coolest cooling rig I have ever seen...not just because it works so well, but because of the character of the whole thing.  I think a previous poster was right - the Millenium Falcon of water cooled rigs!  Rust with high performance - kind of like a '69 Camero...

Future Shock

:lol:B)