Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy

enabling a 250gb hdd capacity

I am running my OS on one hdd (ide master)and recently I just bought a WD 250gb hdd (ide slave). At lot of reviews out there says that most OS like Windows 2k, XP, etc can only detect hdd capacity up to 137GB , its something like a barrier which needs to be enabled.

My question here is once I enable the 137 GB barrier (my OS is on ide master), I will get to see the whole 250gb cap, but if I reformat my OS (ide master) again, does it mean I need to enable the 137 GB barrier again?

cheers mates :rolleyes:

fuzzy, i tried the exact same thing you suggest and nearly lost a bunch of data doing it. The problem with XP without SP1 is that even if you tell it not to format any paritions, it still notes the "incorrect" drive geomerty and tries to "correct" it. You'll need to get a ZP SP1 or higher cd to avoid all that nastiness. Do a search for SP1 slipstreaming on google...there's should be instructions on making a cd with SP1 preapplied.

-Chris

hi shoemakc,

r u running OS + programs/applications/files/etc on one 250gb hdd itself? as i m using two different hdd, one hdd for OS and the 250gb hdd as my storage. as u mention about losing data, if i format my hdd that contains the OS , will i lose data frm the 250gb hdd as well?

cheers