Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy

quiet + cool + performance hdd

apart from raptors & hitachi hdd, which other brand/model that suits the title?

shall i go for sata or pata? will really appreciate ur replies.

cheers :rolleyes:

Right now, the Maxtor MaxLine III and DiamondMax 10 would seem to be the closest to the best match of cool&quiet&high performance. The two drives seem to be nearly identical, save the MaxLine having a higher MTBF of 1,000,000 hours than the DiamondMax's 600,000. You do pay for that, of course. Both drives are exceedingly cool and quiet, as you can see if you read the SR review of the MaxLine III that I linked to above.

The problem is the benchmarks - SR's benchmarks on a pre-production MaxLine III drive were mixed, BUT AnandTech's benchmarks (not quiet as comprehensive) showed stellar performance of a production drive. Other benchmarks have indicated great performance as well. To be frank, SR's numbes showed performance characteristics that were not as good in seek times as much older MaxLine II drives - so I (and others) tend to think the firmware wasn't finalized.

Much has been made of the Native Command Queueing of these drives - but it's only useable with an NCQ controller (right now only on the newest Intel chipsets). Even with NCQ disabled, AnandTech showed benchmark results that rivaled a Wester Digital 10k Raptor - but with a much quieter, cooler, and larger drive.

I intend to replace my aging and noisy Western Digital JB's with a MaxLine III or DiamondMax 10 sooner rather than later...which one depends upon the price differential at the time.

Future Shock

Wait for the Seagate 7200.8 with 16 MB cache memory to come out... mmmmm

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20040...seagate-01.html

I RTFA, and I can only say that it's an old article from June. Tom's is simply incorrect regarding the "unique features" of the new Seagate Barricudas. 16M cache? Maxtor's DiamondMax 10 and MaxLine III have it. NCQ? Again, both Maxtors have it. 400G capacity? Hitachi has it. 140G platters? Ahh, he may be right on that one. But let's not get all worked up about it having ALL of these - this drive isn't due until "Q3", which could mean anytime before November. The Maxtor's and Hitachis are shipping now...

Future Shock