Sign in to follow this  
odeen

Multiple Hdd's To Multiple Hdd's Backup Software

Hi there!

You may remember me from discussions having to do with onboard audio, and from a mini-discussion I started regarding multidrive firewire enclosures.

For those of you who care, I ended up something that looks like this for $60 shipped, slightly pre-owned. Sees my two 250gb drives just fine :)

Now, I have another issue. I would like to take my 574gb of storage (1x74gb + 2x250gb) and back it up to the 500gb of storage I have in the little box. The problem is that the drives are not "linked" together (i.e. JBOD or RAID), they show up as two extra drive letters.

I'm looking for decent (free or low-cost hopefully too) software that can compress and back up files and is capable of spanning the backup over two drive letters. Naturally, it should also be able to see updates to my files and add/delete files in the backup set to mirror the files on my main drives.

I'm not trying to get any versioning control, etc - if I change or nuke a file, chances are I won't need it 3 months later. Basically, if one/any/all of my drives go south, or get data corruption or a virus, I'd like to be able to get the files from my backup. Nothing more :)

The way I see it, I'll power the box on once every week or so, let it run overnight to update the backups, so the drives will not sit idle too long to "seize up" nor will they be overworked or worn out. 500 gig tape drives are a little cost-prohibitive :P

tar.gz or rar will work for what you describe... to do it automatic may be a bit hard since the backup set will be split across different drives...

you could probably use winNT's advanced partitioning features to make a dynamic disk span.

Yeah, the problem is that I don't think RAR is geared for that kind of operation (i.e. scan disk for files, delete from backup files that are now missing, and update backup with files that have changed / been added). RAR gave me an estimate of 68 hours to compress 250 gigs of stuff, and taking that long to update the backup set every time is not cool.

Plus, I'd like for the archive to be split by the program itself, which would enable recovery from a boot disk, without the need of NT being installed to access the "advanced" partitions.

I know both rar and zip can certainly update/refresh/add files, but I don't know if they will remove files.

I do not know of a good method to backup across several drives other than you manually specifying that a set of data goes to one drive and another set to the other drive. Obviously this can either be very easy or very difficult depending on the data you're backing up and how it is logically aranged.

I'm not sure if you really want to be compressing the files, if you are talking audio (mp3 et al) there is not much to be gained by compression.

You might want to consider a drive image software like Trueimage or ghost