Q.E.D.

Hold Off To Buy A 8 Port Sata Raid Controller?

I cannot decide if its worth the wait for better support for things like NCQ, SATAII, etc.

I am looking to purchase a 8 port RAID SATA card that has 64-bit PCI66mhz BUS.

Ive looked into the many choices and they all have their strong points. But none of them seem to really stand out in anything.

Should I wait for the cards that will have better RAID5 LOGIC chips? (intels chip)

Or should I just choose one thats available now?

3ware 9500s-8

Broadcom BC4852

Adaptec 2810SA

Highpoint 1820A

NOT AVAILABLE --->(MegaRAID SATA 300-8X)

Seriously, after looking from review site to review site, most say that they are not impressed overall with any of these cards.

Iam not a big fan of adaptec. I wouldnt go near them...

3ware is dissappointing with the 9500 card, I tried them in a Dual Opteron box with an AMD chipset, and it was just way too crash happy, replaced them with the new broadcom RaidCore cards, (8 port) and the server has been up and happy for nearly 2 months now...

Thats good to know about hte RaidCore card with the Broadcom chips. I just installed one. Hopefully it'll work out.

1TB+ data storage, and video editing. Video rendering, then edit of renderings.

Have you looked into software RAID? You can buy an nForce250Gb motherboard like the Eopx-8KDA3+, and a cheap A64 or Sempron CPU for less than the cost of many RAID controllers these days. The Epox board will support 10 drives (6 SATA, 4 PATA). There's a Gigabyte board that will do 12 (8 PATA, 4 SATA) as well.

The performance of software RAID is better than hardware RAID even with slow processors. Additionally PCI bus bottlenecks are greatly mitigated in this configuration (although I'm not sure that's really a problem).

Software vs Hardware RAID using Linux & the BSDs.

Now, if you're concerned with render performance you shouldn't use a single array. You should start with two independent disks, one as video source and the other as video render. This will give dramatically improved performance because it eliminates the need for seeks. A single RAID array, even an 8 drive one, could easily lose to two, single, independent disks at this task.

Incidentally Q.E.D., don't you edit first and then render? I'm 99% sure that that's the workflow. I mean, you have to render after your done with your edits no matter what right?

Only buy it if you take steroids. It weighs 73kg (160 lbs) EMPTY... Add power supplies (it can take 3 300 watt hotswappers) and hard drives this critter can suddenly top up 200+ pounds... Make it quite difficult to move around, and to get it into, or out of a rack...

It weighs 73kg (160 lbs) EMPTY...

You would think that aluminum server cases would be bigger business. 73kg... that's incredible. I'm not surprised that it's difficult to handle.

Only buy it if you take steroids.

No kidding... cases like that put a whole new spin on hiring requirements for IT departments.

I just checked...I loged into the computer useing remote desktop, with 3 raidcore cards, normal operations.... cpu load was 2%.... I dont know how much traffic was on the server at the moment I checked, but Its office hours, (11 AM) everyone is in, and working...

I think I'll wait...

Spending 400+ on a piece of hardware that is already outdated.

The new intel XOR processor is what I will wait for. I heard that LSI will have a 8 port card out in oct that uses the new intel XOR processor.

I called LSI Technologies today, talked to one of their techs.

They informed me that their LSI MegaRaid 300x-8 has not even hit testing yet. He told me that their testing takes at least 2 months, so the card won't be available untill late Q4/early 2005 (i guessed, he said hes not allowed to tell me, but I put the pieces together that he gave me)

So I chose to not wait, and purchased a Broadcom 4852. 345$ retail.

I hope it works for me.

I WAS thinking about the Highpoint 1820A UNTIL after I called them and found out that you CANNOT add to the RAID once its made. NO increasing the size of the array.

The 3ware is too expensive for the preformance, the LSI isn't available, and the adaptec is widely unknown, so that leaves me with a 4852.

Before you use the 'online capacity expansion' feature make sure to back up the drive... What with Mr Murphy and all you could have your array blown away by an error at this point...