opq

Veritas Backup Exec Questions

I've just installed Backup Exec 9.1 onto a Windows Server 2003 system with two 1GHz PIII CPUs and 1GB RAM. I hope you guys can answer these questions for me:

1. Whenever I run a large (say about 4GB) backup the RAM usage seems to be tremendous... With 700MB of physical RAM free before the operation, the RAM can run down to 0 and the pagefile can be resorted to tremendously, slowing the system down badly. Is this normal?

2. I store backups on a second hard drive but I share it with other manual backups. How can I limit the use of space? I found the option to limit the size of each BKF file, but not how many can be created. How do I limit how many media files it generates (I use the backup to disk and it seems to generate a new media - BKF everytime it backs up), and make it reuse old media files?

Hmm. I'm running BE 9.1 on a W2K3 (latest build when I installed it 4 months ago) on a PIII 800 with 512 MB RAM. Performance is good, both disk-to-disk and to tape. Check your overwrite protection settings.

It's possible that you have a lot of compressed files you want to back up. IIRC BE decompresses them before backing them up. This has given me numerous problems on Netware servers with too little RAM for BE's liking (8.5/90./9.1).

If there is id like to know too, i manually have to delete my backup jobs every now and then when the 2.5TB disk runs out, currently it can hold about 14 days of backups.

Unfortunately due to a slow NAS box, with only 100mbit netcard in it ive had to switch to differential backup for now, since its impossible to make a full backup in my 12 hour backup-window. 1.4 million files takes a looong time

Darking

Anyone else got any clues on how to limit the number of backup sets used in Backup Exec's Backup-To-Disk feature? It'd really be appreciated.