Although, for only afew $$ more you could get a DVD Burner instead of just CD Burner/DVDRom.

Take a look at NEC ND-2500A 8x DVD Burner/CD Burner For only $60.00 or if you want a faster one, Well...It's the fastest one right now, ND-3500A 16x DVD+/-R/CD-RW/16X DVDRom. for $87.00/$89.00.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-152-031&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-152-032&depa=1

Regards,

2Old2Works?

Good comments from 2Old2works.

Also don't forget to get a keyboard and a mouse. ;)

I was assembling a new (used components, cheap) computer at home, but didn't have a power cord... And I'm doing this stuff for living. :blink:

Yeah, thanks guys. For now im just gonna salvage my "crap" keyboard and mouse, and as for the dvd burner, i was planning on getting one but then i realized i might make one burned dvd a year, and either way if i decide i want to make one i can still just buy a burner later and it wont be a huge loss. But thanks 2ol2wks, thats saves me like $20, i went with the corsair. And just out of curiosity, whats the like 8x AGP thing that it advertises on video cards?

I dont know if Blakewry is ever gonna read this but i have a question about that bit torrent file thing. I finally got the client downloaded and i think its working but it says that techtv file is gonna take like 49 hours to fully download. WHats the deal with that, is that just my comp or what?

The TechTV How to Build Your Own PC video is ~650MB, so if you have 1Mbps internet connection it will take at least 1,5 hours, 256kbps connection => 6 hours, 56kbps modem => 30-60 hours. Also it can be slow first (even if you have good bandwidth), but it speeds up. Depends on how many other people are downloading the same file (P2P-"effect"). I'm getting ~25kB/s with my 512kbps (~50kBps max) connection and it seems that at this speed it'll still take ~15 hours.

^^^^^

Weird "too early morning" math above. At ~25kB/s I should get it a bit faster. In general you can calculate the download time by dividing file size with your internet connection speed, but don't get confused with bits (B) and bytes (B), byte = 8 bits. Because of protocol overheads (other stuff that must be transferred with actual payload / "real" data), you can divide with 10.

So if you have 512kbps connection, you get 512/8 => 64kB/s or about 50kB/s real data (these are rough estimates). Now if you have 650MB file, that's about 650.000kB (as 1MB = ~1000kB). Now divide 650.000 / 50 and you will get 13.000 seconds, ~3,5 hours.

well, anyway i wont be watching that for a while. I messed up the internet on my desktop downstairs so lately ive been on my moms laptop, and i cant leave it on all day, if it was my desktop i could do that.

hey, can someone help me with one more thing real quick. What exactly does it mean where it says my cd burners interface is ATAPI/E-IDE? Should i really worry about that? And also are there any cables im gonna need to buy? I think u guys already told me no but im just double-checking

hey, can someone help me with one more thing real quick.  What exactly does it mean where it says my cd burners interface is ATAPI/E-IDE?  Should i really worry about that? And also are there any cables im gonna need to buy? I think u guys already told me no but im just double-checking

standard IDE just like any other hard drive. as to the more detailed, technical explanation....I honestly don't know what ATAPI actually means.

you should be able to get by with regular cables that you use for your hard drives.*

*Note: You CAN use 40-conductor for your optical drives, and it is recommended that you use 80-conductor for hard drives. You CAN also use 80-conductor for optical drives, but that's debatable as to whether you'd actually get any real benefit from it.

thanks guys. now these 80-conductor wires... are they gonna come with the motherboard or whatever they come with. i mean, im not gonna have to buy them seperately am i?

They come with the Motherboard.

It's done!!! I bought it all from newegg at about 10:30 at night on tuesday night, received it today and built it and it works. It was even easier than i thought it would be. I was real nervous going into it but i got used to it after a while and it was easy. U guys are awesome and helped me out a ton. theres probably still a couple of bugs with it(no internet or sound at the moment) but it runs smooth and all that. But before i leave u guys be, i have one more, probably dumb question. I have no sound right now, it says there isnt a sound card... do i have to buy one or did i just not plug it in right? I thouhgt the mobo came with at least a crappy built-in sound card. its the...

ECS "865PE-A" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

^ nevermind about that, im an idiot. I forgot i never put the disk that came with the mobo in. I just did that and it set everything up. Im just so excited... i actually have a good computer. I realize how this is so addicting. I already want to buy a bunch more stuff for this, and i dont even have this all paid off. But again thanks guys.

:D I was waiting for this message. Great to hear you got everything working as expected. Now you can probably download the torrent video file (TechTV) and watch it on your new computer? ;) Happy gaming/hacking/videoediting...!

Thanks dude. This thing is so awesome. Ive never had a good computer before this but that first day i had it up i borrowed doom 3 from my friend and it runs that on ultra quality, on whatever is just after 1024 x 768, smooth as possible. I still got to buy my bros monitor off of him to get that much better quality but it works for now. Ill talk to you guys later(probly when i have more trouble with this). cya

glad to hear that everything went well for you.

a couple of additional notices:

get your self protected from viruses and stuff.

Outlook = bad

Spybot S&D

Ad-ware

Hijackthis

A good/decent antivirus software

now that your computer's so much faster..it can also go to crap faster. :)

A good/decent antivirus software

I installed AVG instead of Norton Antivirus 2004. Huge difference on a PIII450/192 MB RAM, PIII700/320 MB RAM and AthlonXP2400/1GB RAM.