Shake gently for a minute.

This is not a joke! Ive acutally left screws sitting on my motherboard, didn't realize it till the computer was already on, but amazingly luckly for me, it didn't make contact.

After that I religiously hold my case upside down and shake it a bit at all angles, after doing anykinda installing/ change.

:)

couple of things.....first of which, if it's your first time...just go slow. it's like first time with a your significant other....you don't want to rush into things would you? (well...yea...don't....bother answering that question).

point is..."haste makes waste" and allow yourself plenty of time and patience to build it.

much easier and better to do it right the first time.

If you're somewhat paranoid, ground yourself several times during the installation process by touching the chassis. Static electricity can be VERY bad (and couldn't emphasis that more than some of the people already have).

Read all the manuals at least once just to familiarize yourself....and do like a "virtual build" like...visualize where stuff's supposed to go before you actually even TOUCH the screws. figure out which needs to go first. Usually, the motherboard manual goes through that process fairly well if it's a decent motherboard.

if you need help, I'm here, and I would think that there'd be plenty of people to guide you through the process if necessary. But most of all, don't be afraid to ask. Remember, most of us here started off at SOME point, and for some of us, that "some point" may not be that far away so feel free to ask.

Note: your friend is wrong - it doesn't take a scientist to build them. It takes a scientist to MAKE them....but to build them....just by the number of computer stores that are probably popping up all over the place, should be proof enough that not everybody who builds computers need a Ph.D. in it.

before power on, do a final check. Make sure that there are no loose screws, make sure that everything's where it's supposed to be. if you can, and need help, take a digitial picture, and email it.

as for the case, it really depends.

I've found one on newegg (Dynapower Metis) (newegg.com) and it's $23 the last I looked (could be more) + S&H. Which isn't too bad. I'm using the stock power supply and it rus a dual Athlon MP 2600+ with ATi All-in-Wonder Radeon 32 MB, 3 SCSI drives, and a 80 GB IDE drive.

I don't recommend the ECS motherboard though. It's towards the cheaper side, but I would think that you MIGHT be able to find an entry level MSI for that price.

if you need any help, feel free to email me. I'm usually around

Okay, i dont know what that^ thing was but it definetely isnt working. atleast on my computer. Does anyone know if that mobo comes with a decent manual or not. Thats one thing i really want.

It is a torrent file, if you have a bit torrent client (like azureus) you can download the file. It is a well done video featuring 2 experienced techs/presenters build systems. There are some invaluable tiops there that you don't want to miss out on.

The video is a couple hundred MB, however, if you really want i can put it on my webspace for you to download. I would prefer you try the bit torrent client 1st though.

um yeah, ^that thing was being stupid and i tried downloading it but it didnt know what to open it with and i dont either so im not sure if i can get it to work, sorry bout that. But yeah, i havent replied in like 2 weeks cuz my internets been down. I really messed up my computer(im using my moms). Its bad, but since its near-broken and i kissed a whole lotta ass ive almost got my mom talked into andvancing me the rest of the money so i can buy my computer maybe by the end of this week or so. :D

o yeah, i also have a question... Ive heard alot of people talking about how they hooked up their hard drives and they all say they have em in some sort of RAID setup thing. Whats that and if its something i wont encounter unless i have to go out of my way to do so, then dont even bother telling me about it. I just wanted to know if its anything i need to worry or know about.

As a first computer, There should not be any need to use RAId. And it is something that you need to go out of your way for.

some extra hints for building your computer.

1) Know where you will be placing the computer case (on the floor, on the table ect) as the placement of the cd/dvd drives can be placed for best use

- by placing them at the top ofthe case, you will not have to reach as far down if the case is on the floor to swap disks.

- if on the table, place them lower in the case so you do not have to get up to see what is in the drive ect

2) - instal the RAM and cpu / heat sink before screwing the mother board (mainboard) into the case, it is easier to get to.

3) When mounting the motherboard, hold the board in the case to see which holes will be required to be screwed in. This is more important in cases that require you to insert stand offs (so the motherboard is not in direct conect with the case and so shorting out.

Most other hints are in the manuals.

Take you time. Read the manuals. It also helps with a first computer to not buy the cheapest parts. Try to buy from a local store as then if you have any trouble, you can get some help if needed.

I've heard from the reviews, that the motheroard im getting doesnt come with a manual. They said it was real easy to hook up anyway, but should i look for another one that comes with a manual or do most of the good tips come from the manual with the case??

Chieftec. The cases are basically the same. I even think Chieftec makes Antec's cases or something like that. Biggest difference is the PSU.

Enlight makes some boring cases that typically have proven the test of time to be well made and well designed dispite their basic, mass-produced, beige nature.

The board probably comes with a manual in electronic form. If you have another computer that can view pdf's then you'll be fine. If you want, print out the manual so you have a hard copy.

Are there any cool looking cases that are made halfway decent(not awesome)? it seems like all the sturdy cases are plain as day, which i guess i'd take over looks anyday but at the same time if there are any good ones that happen to be cool looking too, i'd like to check those out

Are there any cool looking cases that are made halfway decent(not awesome)?  it seems like all the sturdy cases are plain as day, which i guess i'd take over looks anyday but at the same time if there are any good ones that happen to be cool looking too, i'd like to check those out

Sharkey's Extreme on cases recommendations : http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG...cle.php/3394901

IN WIN Black/Silver ATX Mid Tower Prescott CAG 1.1 Case with 430W Power Supply, Model "S564T.430BFD2BDA" -RETAIL

This is a pretty good case right? Right after i posted that last thing i found this one on newegg. it cost $69.00. And thanks for those sites guys, that second one had some realy nice ones, still havent thoroughly picked through all of em though.

IN WIN Black/Silver ATX Mid Tower Prescott CAG 1.1 Case with 430W Power Supply, Model "S564T.430BFD2BDA" -RETAIL 

This is a pretty good case right?  Right after i posted that last thing i found this one on newegg. it cost $69.00. And thanks for those sites guys, that second one had some realy nice ones, still havent thoroughly picked through all of em though.

I'd pick Antec with 350 Watts PSU anyday over that one. It's only $68.00 shipped at NewEgg the last time I look at it.

We've got 40 of these Antec SLK3700AMBs in out back office for over a year now and all with P-IVs, 2+ HDDs, 2 Optical drives, 2 120MM Fans etc etc. Never have any problems with Heat or PSU. Very Quiet & Stable!

Antec's one of the best well known PSU if not the best for the price. Don't let the number of Watts on lesser brand let you to believe that they're more powerfull or better!

Regards,

2Old2Works?

Is this basically the same thing but black. Cuz i know that ^ one is really good but i dont care for the color, i want a black one.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-129-148&depa=1

(sorry, i dont know how to make a link)

O and by the way... the date has been set, a week from thursday is when ill be able to buy it. Im fine-tuning everything right now but ill probably post the final setup just before i buy it. And i owe all this to most of u guys, again... THANKS!

I chose the Antec SLK3700AMB over the SLK3700-BQE because I liked the rubber grommets in the HDD cage as opposed to the slide in rails of the BQE. My preference is to not have to open or keep open a door to access optical drives and power on button, but the 120mm fan is the way to go. An Antec SX635BII with 120mm fans would be perfect if they made it.

Dan's Data has a good guide for assembling PCs from scratch.

One word of caution if you're using an Athlon or Duron: be very careful that you've got the heatsink clip on the right way around. If you get the clip on the wrong way around, then the heatsink will not sit tight on top of the CPU, and it will overheat and destroy itself within a few seconds of being turned on (Intel CPUs are harder to kill).

The only way to check whether or not it has been seated correctly is by installing it one way, then removing it again (without powering it on), and checking that there's thermal paste in a CPU core shape spread evenly on the bottom of the heatsink. If it's only down one side, turn the clip around, and try again. I fried a Duron by not realising this, and only just avoided frying an Athlon...

Okay, a week from tomorrow... so I'll go ahead and post what i got, so if theres anything i've missed i still have time to fix it.

Case

Antec Solution Series Quiet Black Mid Tower Case with 350W Power Supply, Model "SLK2650-BQE" -RETAIL

$71.50

Motherboard - Intel

ECS "865PE-A" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

$57.00

Video Card

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK

$183.00

Processor

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

$185.00

Memory

Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

$165.00

Floppy Drive

Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model SFD321B/LBL1, OEM Drive Only

$9.00

Hard Drives

2 - Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD, OEM Drive Only

$69.25(apiece)

$138.50

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)

ASUS 52x32x52 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive, Model CRW-5232AS, OEM Black Bulk

$30.50

Operating System

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM

$90.00

Total

$929.50

P.S. - I realize the socket 478 is outdated but i actually understand that setup better than the others and i doubt ill upgrade this at all for at least a couple of years and by that time there'll be even newer ones out.

Everyting Look Good IMHO. Though, I may want to look at Mushkin or Corsair over Kingston. Both Mushkin & Corsair are alittle better price than Kinston right now.(Both are faster too!)

2 x 512MB Mushkin @ $140.00 ($70.00 Each)

2 x 512MB Corsair @ $149.00 (1BG 512MB x 2 Kit)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....-146-219&DEPA=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....ufactory=BROWSE

Goog Luck

Regards,

2Old2Works?