Guest Eugene

Hard Drives V2.0

Guest Eugene

Things have been very quiet in the ATA hard drive world as a stall in areal density has slowed the formal introduction of new drive families. Various manufacturers have, however, been quietly refreshing their existing flaghips. Have any significant changes ocurred? Join StorageReview as we take a look.

Hard Drives, v2.0

Also, you'll want to look at "Seagatess" (no enthusiast wants a girly drive :o) on the single-user page, in the first paragraph after the graphs. As well, on the same page, in the last paragraph look for "crpwm" instead of crown ;).

Thanks for the update Eugene. I'm a little curious as to why and how you ended up publishing this review. Are the manufacturers getting a little more generous with their review samples? Or are you just bored because they haven't done anything interesting in too long?

Guest Eugene

Thanks for the corrections.

As for reasons-

WD asked that we retest an FDB Caviar a long time ago...

Seagate's drive DOES feature higher density though not a new name...

And IBM's drive is sorta new in that it raises the flagship capacity.

Generally speaking, manufacturers are cooperative. They send samples when requested... Seagate ATA is somewhat of an exception- getting samples from them is like pulling teeth.

It's Samsung that's the big exception though. They're just so nonchalant/disorganized it seems. Aside from a few models they sent a few years ago, we've had to purchase all others. I would have liked to include their SATA 80 GB drive since we haven't actually touched it yet.

no enthusiast wants a girly drive :o

Why not? Maybe some of us want to get in touch with our feminine side? :P

Certainly seems like the era of new drive families every six months is over.

I cant believe that Seagete is more realible then WD, I heard only bad things about the Seagete burning out fast. What is ment by reliably, is it how long it lasts, or how fast and well it runs.

Thanks

I'd find it hard to believe that Western Digital is reliable.

Anyone have anecdotal evidence on the reliability of the 7k400 (they're all dying out of the box, etc.)?

NCQ and the low memory crunch (Virtual Mem test).

When an application requests more memory than available physically, You have:

(1) Windows trying to page-out dlls,

(2) Windows filling the Virtual Memory "file" with whatever the app wants, and

(3) The app reading and writing to disk (What alse would the app need the memory for but reading/processing/writing a big data set?)

(4) Other apps taking turns to be swapped in/out

Any application might become a HD multitasking nightmare.

So what?, so everybody has a lot of memory, right?

So I thought until I started wroking with letter sized, 24-bit scans. Or when I opened Outlook express and I got 4 newsgroups with 14,000 posts each, or when I had Excel and Word docs open with dynamic links between them; (In these examples, it is not the application itself, but data set size the app works with.

Also, most people have many programs running in the background (Kazaa, Gator, Antivirus, Firewall). Even 512MB on WinXP might not be enough.

I was just wondering if NCQ could boost performace when a computer becomes unresponsive when available physical memory becomes low.

I think this fact might explain some of the results obtained so far (Not the data being written in/out but all the VM/paging activity when multiple apps are running).

Cheers Eugene, this is a great site.

What about de NCQ Enabled 160Go SATA 7200.7 that is avaiable now ?

It is a 100GB/platter model ? (If yes, it can be really awesome in seek time !)

And when Seagate will ship other capacity of the NCQ Enabled 7200.7 ??? A 200Go sounds good for me in order to replace my old 180GXP ;)

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION!

(for 7200.7 'cuda owners like myself)

will these drive be upgradable to Native Command Queuing??? (NCQ)???

I have searched on seagates website, but have no answer :(

surely storage review could fill us in?

I'll be pretty pissed, I just bought mine, and I hear the NCQ versions are going to OEM's next month!

thanks in advance,

Cirvol

I still don't see any word or update as to whether or not the noise issues with the SK250 have changed (remember that irritating MEOW sound everyone complained about?) and does the SK400 have the same problems? Any word on this? Anyone? :*)

Well, it looks like the current seagate HD's will NOT be upgradable to NCQ :angry:

Hello,

Thank you for the inquiry.

NCQ will be available on our new SATA 2 drives only.

Robert A.

Seagate Technical Support

========== Customer's original message ==========

Why not? - I have the 200 gig drive - I just bought it last week - and  next month is when NCQ comes out for the SAME drive

Please explain what I need to do to get NCQ support?

(my mobo already supports it)

I think that the eletronic is a little bit different, as for the 160Go version, the part numer is different (ST3160827AS vs ST3160023AS)...

But maybe it's because the 160Go NCQ Enabled, is also equipped with 100GB platter...

Hello:

As usual, you guys have written a very useful review. Is there any chance that you will be reviewing Samsung SATA drives? Until Seagate changed to their 5 year warranty, the Samsung 3 year warranty was the best you could get, and their drives are even quieter than Seagate's, especially seeks. And their 8MB caches seem to make them quite decent performers.

The Hitachi 7K400 is a beast of a drive for the demanding home/office user.

can someone please tell me which is newest - ST3160827AS or ST3160023AS?

i am ordering a 36 gig raptor as a sys drive & a 160 seagate as storage,etc tomorrow.