Alarmer

Maxtor Diamonmax 10

Hello

I couldnt find any good information about this upcoming drive other than it has 16mb buffer.

Has there been any reviews? Couldnt find any on google yet, but would like to read something about one before ordering. My local store should have some next week.

Any info would be welcome, thanks.

Have found the drive for sale at various German and French websites, part number 6B300SO. But nothing as yet on Maxtor’s own website. Perhaps they will update their own site on the 1st of August………….

MAXTOR DiamondMax10 300GB HDD 7200rpm serialATA 16mb cache fluid 6B300S0

Maxtor / Maxline III

SATA models will begin shipping in volume in Q3 2004 and are currently available for qualification testing. UltraATA/133 models are scheduled to ship in late summer 2004.

It's different disk, but could be close to DiamondMax 10 in specs? (speculating) It has 16MB cache too, prices little higher than DM10, MTTF 1 million hours (compared to 600.000 in DM10). And... at least Maxline III supports NCQ. :)

Maxtor / Maxline III
SATA models will begin shipping in volume in Q3 2004 and are currently available for qualification testing. UltraATA/133 models are scheduled to ship in late summer 2004.

It's different disk, but could be close to DiamondMax 10 in specs? (speculating) It has 16MB cache too, prices little higher than DM10, MTTF 1 million hours (compared to 600.000 in DM10). And... at least Maxline III supports NCQ. :)

Its definetly a mystery drive.... Quess I can till next week, hopefully by then somebody has experience with this drive :)

Hi

Maxtor's website now list the DiamondMax 10

Quote from Maxtors site:

"Based on an integrated, single-chip native SATA solution, DiamondMax 10 drives feature native command queuing along with the company’s exclusive dual-processor technology and large buffers to deliver unparalleled speeds compared to traditional drives in their class. This unique set of features combined with Maxtor’s latest firmware technology, allows the drive to self-balance its workloads for a more efficient hard drive operation. With DiamondMax 10 hard drive-enabled systems, consumers can easily run multiple applications, such as games and music, at the same time without overwhelming the PC. Designed for multimedia PC users, graphic artists, system integrators and white box builders, the 7200 RPM DiamondMax 10 drives are offered in capacities of up to 300GB and are ideal for performance desktop computing storing high-resolution images, multimedia content, and personal and business information.

Serial ATA/150 and Ultra ATA/133 interfaces

Native command queuing for enhanced efficiency

Quiet Drive Technology for acoustics-sensitive applications

Whisper-quiet fluid dynamic bearing motors

Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems for greater reliability

Formatted capacity: 80, 120 160, 200, 250 and 300GB

Average seek time: <9.0

Rotational speed: 7200 RPM

8MB and 16MB cache buffers".

Note only the 250/300GB have the 16MB buffer.

Wish that rotational speed was 10,000 RPM instead of 7200 RPM.

As far as I know, these ARE the Maxline III drives - Anandtech did a review of them with NCQ enabled and disabled and put them against a slew of other drives including the 36 and 74GB Raptors.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2094

MaximumPC put twin 300GB M3s in their newest dream machine, claiming in their testing that the drives only performed on average 10% slower than the Raptors.

I am planning to buy a new harddrive for my computer.

I have trouble choosing between Maxtor DiamondMax 10 and MaXLine III.

On Maxtor's web-page they write that DiamondMax 10 is for desktop use and

MaXLine III drives is for midline and nearline enterprise applications...

Does this mean any differences in speed or reliability, or is it something

else that separates these drives?

is it a little confusing right now...

i hope someone does a comparison head to head between a 300gb version of both diamondmax10 and maxline3, and add a 74gb raptor in there....

can someone tell me if the asus p4c800e has support for NCQ on either the intel bridge or the promise controller?