shivohum

Best Value For High-gb Hard Drive

What is the current best value for large storage, mostly for backup/storage purposes? So obviously low-cost but reasonably good speeds as well... I'm looking for something at least 200 GB in size. Thanks.

I have two MAxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 drives (8mb cache). 1 is 160GB and the other is 120GB. I'd like to upgrade the 160GB to something 200-250GB depending on the price..heck even more than 250GB would be great if it was a good deal. I want to stay with Maxtor because I've had horrible luck w/ Western Digital drives and recently (past 3 years), maxtor drives, I've owned, have been FLAWLESS. So, I too will benefit from the insight of you storage-reviewers :) .

check out bens bargains for rebates on 200 and 250GB drives, that's your cheapest per GB for a single drive. WD drives are the most common to offer rebates, but sometimes maxtor and Seagate show up as well.

CompUSA has a sale on Maxtor SATA 7200 RPM 250GB drives. $160 each. Its an instant discount and not a mail in rebate. Ends on 7/31.

Joo

I should add... that works out to about $0.64 per GB. I ended up purchasing 6 of these to upgrade the storage on my server. With the existing disks (re-raided) and the new disks... I expect to have about 1.6TB of total storage after its installed.

Joo

Frys/outpost regularly has 7K250 for $100-110 after hefty $140 MIR. Western Digital also has good deals after MIR, the last one, also at FRYs was $110 after $30MIR. If you are however afraid of rebates, then you just gotta hunt for the deal. Maxtor quite often is for sale for a reasonable sum of money, however in my experience they are the least reliable drives (some of course would tell you otherwise), so I would not buy them. mWave recently had WD2000BB for only $88 I believe, however that was one time deal that went dead rather quickly. If you need the drive right now, I believe the best value is 200Gb Seagate which sell for $125-135 at lots of places.

Yep, check hot deal tracking sites like www.bensbargains.net and www.techbargains.com for good deals. 200GB and 250GB units are on sale pretty often if you can wait for rebates.

If you're going by standard street prices, 160GB and 200GB seems to be the sweet spot.

The cheapest disks are usually whichever happens to be closest to the exit door that doesn't have a big security guard standing by it... :P

FS

A lot of sizes and costs being tossed out there. Besides manufacturing quality... if you are going purely on cost, the best way to determine the best value is to calculate the cost per GB.

250GB HD @ $160 == $0.64 / GB

200GB HD @ $125 == $0.625 / GB

200GB HD @ $135 == $0.675 / GB

Joo

Just got what I consider a good deal on a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 250GB ATA/133 Internal hard drive. (model: 6Y250P0). It's really quiet and fast :). Oh yea, I paid $123 out the door including tax. That's a good deal right? :unsure:

Hey Chris,

it's my understanding that the performance between the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (6Y250P0 7200rpm 8mb cache ata133) is similar to the Maxline Plus II 250GB drive. I paid $123 for mine (~$0.49/GB) and I'm just curious why you decided to pay the extra $166 for the same capacity maxtor drive :unsure: ?

Hey Chris,

it's my understanding that the performance between the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (6Y250P0 7200rpm 8mb cache ata133) is similar to the Maxline Plus II 250GB drive. I paid $123 for mine (~$0.49/GB) and I'm just curious why one would pay the extra $166 for the same capacity maxtor drive :unsure: ?

I thought the DiamondMax 9 was actually faster...

The MaxLine range is specified (and supposedly designed) for higher reliability. Kinda like why one would pay a premium for a SCSI drive for their reliability, although I'll admit this is on a completely different scale...