Sign in to follow this  
Device Under Test

Ibm Readies Dual-core Powerpc

It's great that IBM has the intestinal fortitude to keep Apple hardware competitive with, if not better than PC hardware, like it had been at times in the past. Motorola really dropped the ball. Good thing it was caught before it hit the floor.

[Moved to Computing]

This isn't a big deal. Power chips have come multicored for some time (in chip terms). Since Apple's PowerPC chip is simply an off-shoot of IBM's existing architecture, it doesn't take a lot of effort to drag it along.

Heh, Motorola has dropped the ball multiple times now. It even really hit the floor before the G3 (the PPC 740) was luckily found among the other PPC based processors when Motorola totally botched the PPC 620 project (ironically the first Power chips are descendants of the 620). It really seems like Apple is finally fed up, and is glad for IBM's codevelopment of the PowerPC architecture.

Still, despite the G5 being ridiculously fast, its also caused a fairly large number of incompatibility and even design issues with existing Mac software and hardware; which was already in a state of flux because of the OSX transition. Hopefully future developments won't make things worse. Macs are fun but really, I would not buy one in the foreseeable future.

Macs are fun but really, I would not buy one in the foreseeable future.

I hope to be able to buy one in a year or two. The only performance critical application I run on my computer responds tremendously well to the SIMD implementation in Apple computers (Altivec). As you say, the platform is not particularly stable or complete in some respects.

(OT, does Apple include drivers for SCSI cards with the OS? I was looking for PCI-X SCSI cards with OS X support while I was considering purchasing a G5. None of the cards I found supported OS X. I assume SCSI controllers are being used in G5s out in the wild though. Does Apple provide the drivers? Anyone have experience with Apple's drivers, if the exist?

Also does anyone know the status of Linux drivers for 3rd party hardware, like SCSI controllers, in the PPC port? I've had trouble resolving these questions myself and now seems as good a time to mention it as any.)

Hmm, someone at work has a G5 attached to some jbod drive array; I think the drives in it are IDE but the interface is SCSI. Theres gotta be some support for fancy storage systems on G5s, as there are HD video editing apps running on it.

For some reason, most of the people in the editing industry are obsessed with uncompressed video (they don't like even lossless or slightly lossy formats).. and when you need to do HD uncompressed, the drive bandwidth required is bordering on ridiculous.

ATTO SCSI cards have support under OSX, and are what my coworker uses in his G5. He only has a UL3 series card in his, but the UL4 series cards support PCI-X and also have OSX support.

Thanks for the pointer Megadeth. None of LSI Logic, Tekram, and Adaptec's SCSI, PCI-X HBA's offer Mac OS X support, or even *BSD support (don't know if that would actually help -- from what I've read OS X is more than just graphics on top of FreeBSD).

The LSI Logic card sells for only ~US$125... (It's a beauty, inexpensive PCI-X SCSI HBA for all those interested --i.e. all those who seem to be flocking to dual Opteron systems).

On the product page for ATTO's single-channel, U320, PCI-X, SCSI HBA (here), I find this quote to be especially amusing, given my research:

“Great product, driver support is excellent, best option for high-performance SCSI for Macintosh workstations.â€

Chris Gauch

Speaking about the ATTO ExpressPCI UL4S

It's the ONLY option. That's great <_<.

Theres gotta be some support for fancy storage systems on G5s, as there are HD video editing apps running on it.

I figured so as well, and I can find (thanks to you ;) ), only one PCI-X SCSI card for those new G5s. I've seen a lot of external firewire RAID boxes in my recent web wanderings :rolleyes:.

I've become very ambivalent towards these new Macs. You can run an X server on them eh? It turns out that the damn things are practically *nix boxes once you shut down Core Graphics (all of Apple's fancy stuff). They'll run an X Server, and just about any *nix app you that'll compile for PPC. The Xserver will actually even use the Mac videocard drivers :blink:. Even more impressively, Gentoo just ported PORTAGE to OS X (Gentoo's top-notch package management system)!

Of course hardware support is way behind even the BSDs...