theturtle

Off Topic- Case & Psu Recom.

This is slightly off topic, but i'm going to be building soon a server with several hard drives in the machine and I'd like recommendations on a preferably mid -tower or something slightly larger, pc case. Something I can cram as many hdd's in! :)

I'd also like to know, when purchasing a PSU, what should I look for for such a large amount of pull from all these drives. DO they make PSU explicitly for this type of situation. High amounts of the specific voltage needed for hard drives(is that 12v or 5v?) Any recommendations on PSU?

theturtle

Are you talking 5 drives, dozen, more?

In terms of off the shelf PSU's, I really like Enermax. I've probably bought about 75 over the last couple years without a single failure or problem. Most were 350W for standard workstations, but a few were 450 for high end workstations or servers with up to 8 hard drives. There are higher wattage as well.

The Antec 3700AMB makes a nice home for 5 hard drives (4 in the removable rack infront of the 120mm fan and 1 in the smaller removable tray).. you could fit 2 more in, but the airflow starts to get slim.

With an additional hotswap tray you could add several more to the available 5.25" bays.

The Lian Li PC-73 (all the PC-70 series, actually) has six 5.25" externally accesible bays and six 3.5" bays internally in a removable drive cage. And of course the two 3.5" "floppy" bays. Plus the configuration is such that cooling a lot of drives isn't a problem.

I bought Lian-Li PC V-2100 Series a few weeks ago and it very roomy. It can hold 12 + HDDs. I ended up using it as a server at home instead.

Take a look here;

www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-112-054&depa=1

www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-112-076&depa=1

Or Here;

www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-112-053&depa=1

Regards,

2Old2Works?

Really depends what you need, how many drives, what kind of motherboard, etc. True server boards generally require EPS12V/SSI power supplies, so keep that in mind.

For rackmount stuff, I like Chenbro's gear. Their 2U 6*3.5 hotswap setup and their 3U 12*3.5" hotswap setup is pretty sweet. The 3U RMC312 can be had with a 1+1 redundant 650W Zippy/Emacs PS. Mmmmmm tasty...

This case is the best value of seen for a server case. It's like a CM Stacker, but reasonably priced. This one does everything you could want, and is reasonably priced as well. The latter comes with a power supply so it's actually quite a deal (normally I'd prefer to buy my own though), but I don't think doors like that are a good idea, since they impede airflow. A couple 120mm fans at 7v or 5v are a good idea in systems with lots of disk drives. Oh ya, the first case has a 120mm exhaust fan, while the latter has two 80mm fans (maybe 92mm?).

Bear in mind that you could buy an extra disk (or two) :blink: for the price difference between these and some of the other cases that have been mentioned.