Sign in to follow this  
bbeermat

Where Is The Sata Controller In Device Manager?

Under Device Manager in WindowsXP Pro, I can see six entries as follows:

Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA storage controller

Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA storage controller

Primary IDE Channel

Primary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

Why does the SATA controller not appear and where can I check that the Raptor is running in the correct mode?

Also I ran Bootvis, and it says that Disk Write Caching is disabled on C: which happens to be the Raptor. But under Disk Drives in Device Manager, the checkbox for Write Caching is ticked for the Raptor, and indeed for all hard drives (2 x 160GB 7K250's).

What's going on?! I'm confused :blink:

SATA controllers (especially motherboard ones like the ones built into Intel ICH5 and ICH5R southbridges) won't show up in a separate "SATA controller" category.

Addon ones from Promise will probably actually show up in the SCSI controller category, because of how their drivers are written.

SATA is STILL an IDE variant, it just happens to extend the spec a bit, and use different cabling. (a more extreme version of the IDE/EIDE switch and the UltraDMA66-100 cabling switch)

As far as Windows knows, they're just another IDE controller. One of the primary IDE controllers is what is controlling the Raptor. Checking its advanced properties will probably reveal its UDMA Mode, though again, WindowsXP is probably still going to report it as UDMA 5 (UltraATA 100), because it doesn't know about anything else.

I've never used BootVis.. but maybe it cannot detect the cache settings correctly because the IDE controller drivers are not the Microsoft built in ones?

The Raptor doesn't appear to under either Primary or Secondary.

Primary IDE correctly states that Device 0, which is where one 7K250 lives, is operating in UDMA-5 mode, while Device 1 is 'Not Applicable'.

Secondary IDE correctly states tha Device 0 and 1 are operating in UDMA-2 mode, as they should being separtate CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives.

The other 7K250 is connected to the on-board Promise controller in IDE mode with IDE drivers installed. There is no informatation about the UDMA mode in the Device Manager entry for the 'WinXP Promise SATA378 IDE controller' under 'SCSI and RAID controllers'. Another source of bother for sure!

Why does the SATA controller not appear and where can I check that the Raptor is running in the correct mode?

There are no modes in SATA1, it is always 150MB/s. If you do see a UDMA mode, it is simply a relic of the backwards ATA compatibilty in the ICH.

There are no modes in SATA1, it is always 150MB/s. If you do see a UDMA mode, it is simply a relic of the backwards ATA compatibilty in the ICH.

Im not so sure of that... you can put UDMA mode 2 devices on a S-ATA bridge and connect them to S-ATA.. there can't be all that much buffer in a cheap bridge chip...

Even if the data is going accross the S-ATA cable at 1.5Gbps, what matters is the rate the device transfers to the bridge... which as stated previously can be any ATA mode... even PIO.