Why exactly are emachines so cheap. They seem to have really nice hardware and everything? My friend just bought the best one they sell and it was only $600 but it sounds really sweet. Im trying to build a pc and i cant get mine under like $900 or so. Would it be worth saving the money to just buy a computer??

can't build one for under $900?

The last PC I built was like $400...mid to high end computer. Atleast if compared to vomit box computers like Dell and HP.

It was over a year ago so it was a shuttle SS51G.. 2.0GHz with 512MB RAM, 80GB DM+9 hard drive with an LG 40X CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive... radeon 9000.

Looking back on it, the price was about $420 before I decided to get the additional video card. Total, it cost me just under $500.

Unfortunately prices have gone up a bit, but I can still build a pretty sweet machine with a barton 2500, 512MB PC3200, NEC dual layer 8x DVD+/-RW drive, radeon 9200, a Samsung 120GB 8MB cache drive, based on a shuttle SN45GV2 for about $650. I could shave that to under $550 by buying a seperate case and mobo.

can't build one for under $900?

The last PC I built was like $400...mid to high end computer. Atleast if compared to vomit box computers like Dell and HP.

Did that include the ~$100 for a legal copy of Windows??? :blink:

Future Shock

Being a student, I can get educational copies of windows and office for a lot less than $100.

Case? Power Supply? Keyboard, Mouse, Soundcard (integrated?), Software to make the whole thing usable?

It's not really fair to say you put together a new computer for $500 if you're reusing a bunch of stuff you already have. I could swap out the mobo, cpu and ram for about $250....but I wouldn't say I can build a new computer for $250.

-Chris

The last time I opened an emachine I noticed a generic Motherboard (very cheap) PC100 RAM (very cheap) need I go on. :D

The eMachines computers I've seen were unimpressive, but I'm more soured on Dell, HP and Compaq. That said, Gateway actually makes better computers IMO.

a barton 2500, 512MB PC3200, NEC dual layer 8x DVD+/-RW drive, radeon 9200, a Samsung 120GB 8MB cache drive, based on a shuttle SN45GV2 for about $650. I could shave that to under $550 by buying a seperate case and mobo.

These are prices from newegg.com. The shuttle SN45GV2 is about $245... I can easily get an ASrock K7S8XE+($50) which has onboard LAN, sound, native S-ATA RAID and an Antec case w/ PSU, like the 3700BQE($76) for under $150 . That saves ~$100 off the price I quoted.

If I were building a gaming machine (ie: high end) I would spend $50 more on the vid card and get an Nforce2 mobo like the Abit nf7... which would cost $25 more than the Asrock. I might also be inclined to go with a 7k250 because any noise difference between it and the Samsung would not be noticable over the sound of a gfx card fan.