Sign in to follow this  
LED ZEPPELIN

Wd Caviar 21200

Last night I added an old 1.2gb western digital caviar 21200 to my system for backup imporatant files that was from an old system that was having problems holding a file system but I pulled it outa my closet to see if it at least worked some. BIOS recognized but it failed to spin up until 3 or 4 tries and it kept spinning up and down. Finally once windows loaded it stayed spinning. I went to format it as it was from an old computer with .98 gb of stuff on it. I chose format and the drive clicked and clunked in a pattern and the computer froze. I had to hit the power supply switch to cut the power. I then tried booting up again and this time it booted right away. Then when I tried to format it. No dice. But this time the drive was recognized as not formatted and no data on it. It did the clicking clunking pattern again and froze the computer again. I opened the drive because I knew it was fried but I wanted to see what was going on. When power was applied the drive hesitated, tried to spin up a few times and finally spun up really slowely. It only reached full speed in about 15 seconds. I tried to format it and the head quickly started thrashing back and forth making the click clunking noises. I decided to have fun and destroy it so I took a screwdriver to the platter as it was spinning. Let's just say it entertained me for 15 minutes as I made pretty circular patterns

Playing around with dead harddrives is fun. I like the really old MFM drives because they keep spinning even if the heads are ripped off. (grabs dead Maxtor which still spins but clunks)