Sign in to follow this  
Maxtor storage

Maxtor D740X Seek speeds revealed.

WOW i can not beleave how fast this drive is in MS Seek, Maxtor says it is a 8MS seek, in most reviews they say 9.5~11 MS, here is what i got

Maxtor DM+ 40 30GB = 12.2 MS

Maxtor DM+ 40 40GB = 11.4 MS

Maxtor D740X 80GB (BB) = 8.6 MS

Seagate Cheetah 18GB 10K U2W 1MB Fuffer = 7.6 MS

All EIDE HDDs Under ATA66(ATA133 coming soon and i'll post if i got any difference in speed)

Intel Pentium III 600Mhz (EB) 133Mhz Bus 256KB L2

PC133 256MB

In my opinion this drive is darn fast for seek,well it is the fastest EIDE HDD on the Market, But the WD is much faster at MB/s Write speeds, so the thing is that i never thought i would get this result, it comes very close to my cheetah, it's kind of old but it is still a 10K drive. And the thing is that it comes very close to what Maxtor specs say about the drive,Games load extreamly fast, the only thing it is slow compared to others is the MB/s Write speeds, but hey IBM 120GXP is faster because it is newer, WD 100~120GB with 8MB buffer also new, the next Maxtor will be faster, and if you see at the Quantum FireBall as LM you will not beleave how fast it is, it beats this one and the rest of them on server loads or also heavy loads of work done to the drive.

I remember seeing a review of Maxtor d740x (40GB version) in which it was pitted against Western Digital WD400BB. One of the test used was SCSI Mechanic and if you ever used it you know jow nicely it shows transfer rates for different cluster sizes (different read blocks in this case). Maxtor write speeds weren't very good unitil it reached 16K reading blocks. From there they were very good.

Article can be found at http://slautech.com/slautech/articles/479

My question now is whether i should format my partition with 16k clusters for better performance, or Windows read them in larger chunks (4 at time or ?).

Guest Eugene
Maxtor DM+ 40  30GB                                  = 12.2 MS

Maxtor DM+ 40  40GB                                  = 11.4 MS

Maxtor D740X    80GB (BB)                          = 8.6 MS

Seagate Cheetah 18GB 10K U2W 1MB Fuffer  = 7.6 MS

Utilizing what program and utilizing what partition structure? Though the D740X boasts a fast seek for an ATA drive I don't believe any of these results, including the Cheetah's, are accurate.

Thanks,

Eugene

Well that's really too bad, because i don't have a way of showing it to you, but if you give me your e-mail at jmfr123@hotmail.com i'll send you a picture of the program showing the results, i used HD Tach 2.61.[/img]

Guest Eugene
Well that's really too bad, because i don't have a way of showing it to you, but if you give me your e-mail at jmfr123@hotmail.com i'll send you a picture of the program showing the results, i used HD Tach 2.61.[/img]

HDTach has a well-known bug that prevents many configurations from running the test across the full drive. Your results were most likely culled off of first 8 GB (7.6 GB decimal) of the drive. Run the tests again and look very carefully at the x-axis of the transfer rate graph and you'll see.

Run the tests enabling large size check.

Regards,

Eugene

i got a score of 11 MS seek. regarding that the WD will do so bad on seek lol, which they are only good at Write speeds, and don't make them that great, Gamers go with it in RAID Level 0, but that will not increase the MS seek of the HDD, there fore the Maxtor are still better at his point. and the old WD really suck at all of it, and the new Drives cost a lot.

Hey "Maxtor Storage" - how about just re-runing the benchmark as Eugene suggested and posting it along with your previous results?