Hello,

I have the following system

CPU P4 2.6Ghz

motherb: P4P800 Deluxe

Primary Master Disk (system): Seagate 40GB ST340014A PATA

Second Master Disk: Seagate 80GB ST380013AS Serial ATA

Video: MSI FX5600, 128MB

mem: 1GB

Under controllers I have for both master drives: Intel® Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

I'm having problems playing avi files from the Serial Disk. The sound and video are running in slow motion. The same file is playing fine from the other hard disk

I have no problem playing any other type like mpeg1 or mpeg2. The avi files have been captured from a DV camcoder through firewire.

I ran a speed test on both drives and I got:

Average speed read/write: for PATA 55MB/s and for SATA 3.2 MB/s. That tells me the SATA is not seen properly

by windows or is not configured properly. The SATA must be much faster than the other drive.

I have upgraded the Intel chipset and the AMI bios to 101006

Could anyone give me any suggesstions.

Thanks

:(

I forgot to mention I didn't get any drivers for my SATA drive. Bios sees the drive as IDE V which relates to SATA, and Windows see it as a normal IDE drive.

ON this motherboard SATA is pluged-in to the SATA connectors.

under the IDe channel properties in device manager, what does it report for the PIO/UDMA rate?

I'm pretty sure SATA only runs at 1.5Gbps (150MBytes/s effective bandwidth). So if its detecting the drive and can read and write to it, its not the SATA connection. Its probably a problem with the drive itself.

Those transfer rates do kind of sound like single block I/O though.... Is there a setting that will disable multi-block operations?

nope, I've ran S-ATA converters on P-ATA drives and you can run them in PIO mode if you wish.

Hi, Thanks for the reply

Under device manager under controllers I have:

Intel ® 82801 Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

Intel ® 82801 Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

Primary IDE Channel

Primary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

For the Intel Controllers I can see only the driver and resources

For the First of the Pimary IDE Channel I have: Device 0, Transfer Mode: DMA if available, Current Transfer Mode: UltraDMA Mode;

For the Secondary Controller: PIO Only, Curent Transfer: PIO Mode

I think the SATA controller is the Intel one and has been recently updated.

I ran the speed test with Quick Bench 1.1

Why are the speeds so low? Shouldn't I have, close to 100MB/s for the PATA drive, and close to 150MB for the SATA?

I ran the speed test with Quick Bench 1.1

Why are the speeds so low?  Shouldn't  I have,  close to 100MB/s for the PATA drive, and close to 150MB for the SATA?

No you should not, just like you won't see a 320MB transfer rate from a single SCSI drive. There is a big diffference on what the interface can handle and what the drive can deliver. You should be seeing similar rates for the PATA and SATA drives if both are configured for UDMA 5.

The use of PIO mode only is what is crippling your transfer speeds, in PIO mode, your CPU has to handle every last bit of data read and written to the drive. Even the fastest CPUs can barely manage over 4 to 5 megabytes/sec when ahving to do this.

You need DMA mode active to let the drive and controller dump data to and from system memory with minimal CPU overhead. if changing the setting in device manager and rebooting doesn't change the mode of the 2nd hard drive from PIO to UltraDMA Mode 5 or something, post back here and I will tell you a more extreme method for making Windows change the mode ;)

And again, the SATA drive will not lilkely be any faster than the PATA in just sustained transfer rate, as they are both Seagate 7200.7 models, and should have almost identical STR; the only difference is extra cache on the SATA which should have minimal impact when measuring just sustained transfer rates like you are.

The one area where SATA can help vs PATA is in burst transfers out of the cache; the rest of the drive is not fast enough to fill up the bandwidth of either interface.

I'm pretty sure SATA only runs at 1.5Gbps (150MBytes/s effective bandwidth). So if its detecting the drive and can read and write to it, its not the SATA connection. Its probably a problem with the drive itself.

Those transfer rates do kind of sound like single block I/O though.... Is there a setting that will disable multi-block operations?

Yes each data packet transfers at 150MB/s. The delay is at both ends, especially in PIO mode. The host sends a packet and waits for acknowledgment. The packet travels switftly but the PIO protocol works as everyone has said with an interupt after each sector, or if in multiple mode after several sectors. PIO across SATA has a net speed just like PATA.

Free

Hi,

I think the SATA drive uses the Intel®82801EB UltraATA Storage Controller

to work, which uses the UltraDMA mode. Although I can't see in what mode is running.

I have in device manager:

IDE/ATA Controllers:

Intel® 82801 Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - SATA drive

Intel® 82801 Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

Primary IDE Channel - PATA Drive (UltraDMA)

Primary IDE Channel- ??(PIO mode)

Secondary IDE Channel - CDRW(device: 0)(UltraDMA); CDRom(device:1)(DMA)

Secondary IDE Channel (Not Applicable)

SATA has its own connector on the motherboard

Pimary IDE port has the PATA disk

Secondary IDE port has the two CDRoms

Is the second "Primary IDE channel" refering to SATA ? I don't think so.

In BIOS for the third master(SATA) I have set AUTO for DMA mode. Under the supported DMA mode I have, Ultra DMA 5. Another thing, before I upgraded the BIOS I had under supported mode Ultra DMA6. ?

I don't know what to think anymore.

Probably is better to go with the sytem to the dealer.

The second Primary IDE channel IS referring to the SATA controller. IDE controllers generally come in pairs, Primary and Secondary (you won't ever see

Tertiary or Quaternary or whatever the heck would come after those first two)

And you don't have any other IDE drives in the system at all right? By process of elimination.. that would pretty much prove that the SATA drive is on the second Primary IDE controller.

Like others and I have said.. you should change the mode on the channel that is set to PIO only to use DMA if Available.

In a modern system there should be absolutely ZERO devices using PIO mode at all.

BIOS settings merely set the maximum speed that Windows is allowed to use, the Windows driver itself is limiting itself to PIO mode in your case. Change the setting and reboot.. if you set it to use DMA if Available and the device still shows up as PIO only, post back here.

If he has to actually go into the drive properties & change it from PIO to DMA, that tells me the chipset drivers have not been (correctly) installed. Anytine I have intalled the Intel inf/(S)ATA drivers all drives plugged into the "regular" ide ports or Intel's ICH5/6R automatically had their fastest respective transfer mode enabled.

Check your drivers! P4P800 Deluxe or Intel's latest for your setup.

As a side note, your mobo also has a VIA RAID option on it too. Have you by chance plugged it onto the VIA controlled ports (don't know if this is possible for a non-RAID setup, anyhoo....)?

That is correct, my sata is using the PIO mode right now, even if the Transfer mode is set to: "DMA mode if availble".

Please tell me the other procedure to change that.

thanks

Hmm.. I was afraid it would do that... ok well follow Ron's advice first and install these:

Intel Chipset Drivers from Asus's site

if you haven't already.

If for some reason after installing those and rebooting, the drive still isn't behaving properly, for some reason Windows thinks its detected too many read/write errors on that drive (sometimes from driver issues, but can be cause for concern about the drive as well)

You need to go into device manager and right click on the Primary IDE channel that is connected to the SATA drive and stuck in PIO mode and select Uninstall. This will uninstall the driver for that controller and clear out any old settings.. after a reboot it will redetect and hopefully go back to DMA mode. If the channel is set to DMA if Available and the drive is still stuck in PIO mode after this change, the drive electronics or maybe your SATA cable are probably defective.

Thanks to Megadeth and Ron and the others

After uninstalling the Primary IDE Channel for the sata, windws detects the drive and still assign it to PIO mode.

By the way, I tested the drive with the seatools diskette from Seagate and the drive has passed succesfully

in all modes: PIO: 3.5Mb/s; DMA: 80MB/s, these are average speeds.

Is there a place on the net where I can get the drivers for the SATA, or the intel chipset inf files

but not included into an executable application, so that I can try to manually install them?

:angry:

Hi, I think its very likely this is a software problem and your hardware is fine. If you've already installed Intel or Asus SATA drivers you could try a stronger approach to making windows redetect the drives properly.

Go in to Device Manager and remove/uninstall all the hard discs, optical drives and hard drive controllers. And anything SCSI if present. Then run “regedit†and go to HKEY_Local_Machine -> Hardware -> Devicemap and delete the “Scsi†entry. Reboot and let it redetect everything. My Mum’s machine sometimes will only see the DVD drive in PIO mode and I need to go through this process to get it to work in DMA mode again.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Thanks Seb

I did what you said, I uninstalled all drives and controllers, then I deleted the scsi

ports: 0, 1,2, and 3, not the whole scsi entry.

Reboot then after redetecting the disks, is back to the previous stage.

nothing has changed except my too CD-roms as well went in PIO mode.

I changed them back to DMA and UltraDMA by selecting DMA if available.

Thanks anyway

I will keep digging... :angry: