Sign in to follow this  
intelfan

7k250&vibration

HI!

I've just bought a new 7K250 160GB PATA 8MB cache hard drive. Its workin good very quiet, but it's vibration is much higher than my Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 PATA 120GB drive.

This vibration is normal?

Please if somebody has both Seagate 7200.7&Hitachi 7K250 compare the vibration for me.

A friends new (June '04 manufacturing date) 160G 7K250 is also very quiet, doesnt miaow but has slightly more vibration than we'd expected.

Not as much as i've noticed with Maxtor plus9's which sometimes seem enough to cause resonances with the case they're mounted in, and what vibration there is with this 7K250 produces no audible result.

Platter balancing will vary a little from unit to unit, i guess its down what each manufacturer deems the acceptable limits for vibration are.

Overall though, the drive is very impressive - quiet (seek noises are also surprisingly delicate and muted), quick and it doesnt miaow :)

I've only had one drive that vibrated alot.. and that was a 120GXP that ended up failing within 30 days of use because of a bad bearing. The sound that came from that thing was terrible...

I'd return the drive to the retailer if you could.

I bought an 80GB 7K250 a couple of weeks ago and it vibrates something terrible. It passes Hitachi's diagnostics and seems to work okay but the vibration makes the whole case buzz like an angry bee and I've stopped using the thing in case it damages the two other drives mounted above it.

Time to find out how good Hitachi's RMA procedure is, I guess.

I've only had one drive that vibrated alot.. and that was a 120GXP that ended up failing within 30 days of use because of a bad bearing. The sound that came from that thing was terrible...

I would also return for RMA, but i don' think that they give me a new drive because the old one 'resonates'. :(

They would said "the drive works good, its quiet, SMART parameters are perfect, why should we RMA this drive?"

I bought an 80GB 7K250 a couple of weeks ago and it vibrates something terrible. It passes Hitachi's diagnostics and seems to work okay but the vibration makes the whole case buzz like an angry bee and I've stopped using the thing in case it damages the two other drives mounted above it.

Time to find out how good Hitachi's RMA procedure is, I guess.

I have exactly the same effect.

I bought a Zalman ZM-2HC2 passive hard drive cooler,vibration dampener, but even with this its resonates the whole case. :(

I'm also angry because i wanted a fast and quiet drive, i bought Hitachi because the anti-cat firmware released, and i thought this will be the perfect hard drive. :(

160GB 8MB cache PATA drives: (i don't have SATA)

-Seagate 7200.7 minimum vibration, slow because aam set to quiet -> very bad seek times

-Samsung P80: good speed, not as reliable as Hitachi or Seagate,high vibration

-Hitachi 7K250: fastest seek time,fastest drive, quiet seek, quiet idle, high vibration

What should i buy then? :(

Maybe i do something like this: Rubber Suspensions

I have the 160 gig version of this drive dated Mar 2004. I also have 2 others from Oct 2003. The ones from Oct of last year have zero vibrations (still working fine) but the Mar one vibrates so much I could not use it in my machine as it was too loud, a nasty hum. I put it in my brothers Antec Sonata case because ot the rubber grommet mounting which helped.

It passed several DFT tests but lasted only 3 months, now it has a SMART failure and fails DFT with a 72009951 TRC. I have RMAed it and it's going back this week. I have been following any discussions I can find about this new issue. It seems this is NOT unique to the drive I have. I have had many many drives over the years starting with a 40 Meg Seagate SCSI unit and none have had the nasty vibration this one had, I expected it to fail.

I would also return for RMA, but i don' think that they give me a new drive because the old one 'resonates'. :(

They would said "the drive works good, its quiet, SMART parameters are perfect, why should we RMA this drive?"

to keep customers happy.

In my experience, IBM and hitachi would take this drive back. They took one of mine back for chirping.

Agreed. It's often easier to keep the customer happy (even if the demands are somewhat unreasonable) than to do otherwise. However, you aren't likely to get a brand-new drive back, but a refurbished one.

Should be "Samsung P80: good speed, more reliable than Hitachi or Seagate".

Vibration varies from drive to drive for each manafacturer. Some manafacturers have a tighter tolerance for platter vibration. I have heard Samsungs sometimes vibrate more than other drives, but I know there are people on this board (or storageforum.net) that can attest to and prove Samsung drives are the most reliable.

Should be "Samsung P80: good speed, more reliable than Hitachi or Seagate".

Vibration varies from drive to drive for each manafacturer. Some manafacturers have a tighter tolerance for platter vibration. I have heard Samsungs sometimes vibrate more than other drives, but I know there are people on this board (or storageforum.net) that can attest to and prove Samsung drives are the most reliable.

Not in the reality.

I read many forums and Samsung not too better in reliability. And if you follow the storagereview reliability survey it's also show you the difference.

I was going on experiences some computer shop owners on here had with Samsung drives. Just ask Tannin. He hangs out more at storageforum.net.

damn. I just ordered one 160GB ATA 8MB. I needed only 80MB, but the ones goes only on 2MB cache :(

80GB - 1 plate

120GB & 160GB - 2, so the noise level is higher...

Anybody think that smasung drives just look cooler than the others?

Nope, but my P80 runs very cool. ;) Room temp ~21c, HD 34c. It's 24/7, low load.

I think they're pretty sexy for a HDD...

They do have a unique look to them. I like the black cover with the brushed metal plate :)

What size was your failed 120GXP. The bearings on mine intermittently get loud when the drive is cold. I have the 80gb one.

Mine was the 80GB model. It worked flawlessy for the 1st month and then all of a sudden it started screaming.. I thought it was coming from the PC speaker so I shut down. On reboot it was screaming again... I could hear it from several rooms away with doors shut.

So I called IBM.. with the drive screaming in the background... and they replaced it.

The replacement made a chirping sound, so I called them(now hitachi) and they replaced it with an 80gb 180GXP.

I later found out that the chirping was not uncommon for those drives.

Mine chirps too. I have it unplugged as of right now, until I can get another 80gb drive and get the data off it.