Sign in to follow this  
mikeyb

Event Log Parity Errors

I get the BSOD during boot up, not all the time, say 2 out of 10 boots, and when I look in the event log is see this error message repeated many times for many days:

The PC has is virtually new, has Win2k with SP4, using an Asus mobo with the KM400 chipset.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: atapi

Event Category: None

Event ID: 5

Date: 8/07/2004

Time: 17:18:51

Description:

A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

Now I had to send the motherboard back as it was faulty, no 5v supply (PSU was fine BTW), so have I been double unlucky here and got a faulty hard drive too? It’s a Maxtor DM8. HD connected to one mobo IDE channel, CDROM to the other, all jumpers are set correctly, cables are brand new.

Any ideas anyone?

Try disconnecting the CD-ROM's data cable. See if it continues to occur.

I would assume IDE0 would be the HDD and IDE 1 would be the CD-ROM

Hum,

Bad cable ? marginal power supply ?

If the drive could be run on another know working machine/cable...

Good luck,

MEJV

Double check the jumpers on the CD-ROM and hard drive. ATAPI is the CD-ROM side of the fence. Are the devices in cable select? If they are try explicit master / slave setting. If they are in explicit master / slave try cable select on both. Definately check the cable, if you have a spare try the spare even if the cable you are using appears undamaged.

Free

Unless you absolutely need it all the time, why not just disconnect everything on IDE1. This will completely eliminate the possibility of bad cable, drive, etc. If you still get the error your chipset is probably bad (I had an i820 that had the same exact problem and it was the chipset. No wonder they recalled the damn thing).

If you no longer get errors, try swapping your IDE0 and IDE1 chains - cable and drives (just swap connectors). If the errors stay the same it is a problem with IDE1. If the problem changes, it is following a device and it is probably a cable, drive, config setting.