Sign in to follow this  
sixthofmay

2 Tb Windows Partition Limit

The formatted capacity seems to be about 1.81 TB. How do datacenters using Windows get around this? Multiple partitions? Which seems a kludge. Any new standards/updates on the way to resolve this issue? 400 GB drives are going to be common soon..

They get around it by using Windows 2000/2003 DataCenter Edition...

However should be able to use DFS to get around the limit? But I've personally never tried.

Make several 2Tb partions, convert them to dynamic disks, and you can stripe/span them to get a larger volume. Not pretty but it works.

The gotcha is dynamic disk volumes can be up to several PB's, but single dynamic disks can only be 2Tb. I do not know if this limit is gone in WinXP/W2K3 64 bit but in theory it should be.

Under the Linux 2.6 kernel tree this works fine.

DFS is also an option but does have issues with reporting free space - you only ever get the root free space reported back.

SG

There is a 2TB limit in basic disk because of the partition table. There is no practical limit with dynamic disks, or with striping and volume sets.

More important is the disk class driver limit of 2TB prior to Windows 2003. Nobody will use older versions when 2TB drives come out.

With Windows 2003 Standard and Dynamic Volumes I have made 7.8TB volumes at work, so that limitation must reside solely with the basic partitions. I still think that is sad since my bloody home server has over 1.8TB on it! On our enterprise SAN we have about 340TB total these days, and I cannot imagine having to partition it up into 2TB chunks...

Michael

Oh, and as for linux, using kernel 2.6.5 we have partitioned and mounted 25TB volumes using nothing but cfdisk and mkfs.xfs :-)

No fancy partitioning required...

Michael

F.Y.I Linux Kernel 2.6 pushes the limit to 16 GB... So I read this week...

MEJV

(assuming you meant TB rather than GB)

No, Linux 2.6 (or even 2.4) filesystems using large filesystem support (or running on 64-bit systems) have a partition size kernel limit of 8 ZB (zettabytes), or 8,589,934,592 TB. Individual filesystems' limits are in the table I put together below:

File system           Max file size    Max partition size
ReiserFS 4.0          16 EB            32 ZB    (34,359,738,368 TB)
SGI XFS               8 EB             8 EB     (8,388,608 TB)
NFS 3, 4              8 EB             8 EB     (8,388,608 TB)
IBM JFS, 4K blocks    8 EB             4 PB     (4,096 TB)
IBM JFS, 512 Byte     8 EB             512 TB
ReiserFS 3.6          1 EB             16384 GB (16 TB)
Ext3, 4K blocks       2048 GB (2 TB)   16384 GB (16 TB)

1 ZB (zettabyte)= 2^70 bytes, or likely enough to store several copies of the entire internet.

1 EB (exabyte) = 1,048,576 TB (terabytes)

These are base 2 values, not base 10

NFS = Network Filesystem.

Info on large file support here and here