proof

Raid 0:tips For Improving

I don't know about anybody else, but my 4 WD740GD's in a RAID0 configuration seems to be faster than running them separate.

I am still looking to improve my speed though. Anyone have any tips for getting more out of this setup?

benchmark.jpg

631MB/sec? That's 157MB/sec from each of the 4 drives sustained. And what card is doing that?

Me think's this Troll is trying to fool somebody...

631MB/sec?  That's 157MB/sec from each of the 4 drives sustained.  And what card is doing that?

It's one I built myself using some Lego's, a banana and 3 inches of duct tape.

631MB/sec?  That's 157MB/sec from each of the 4 drives sustained.  And what card is doing that?

While proof is showing us some leading edge ideas that are causing quite a stir in the high-end IT market, it's important to note that this is not a project for beginners - for instance it is imperative that you water cool the banana - I also recommend keeping a hot spare around - nothing like blowing up the banana in the middle of saving 6 gigs of video and not having a spare. Also you must keep the 'hot-spare' some what hidden - I have noticed that kids and spouses have a hard time distinguishing between high end raid controllers and your more common fruit varieties.

While proof is showing us some leading edge ideas that are causing quite a stir in the high-end IT market, it's important to note that this is not a project for beginners - for instance it is imperative that you water cool the banana - I also recommend keeping a hot spare around - nothing like blowing up the banana in the middle of saving 6 gigs of video and not having a spare. Also you must keep the 'hot-spare' some what hidden - I have noticed that kids and spouses have a hard time distinguishing between high end raid controllers and your more common fruit varieties.

:lol:

So true, so true.

In all honesty, this was just a RAM drive for those who had to know.

I get the same results from a single drive using lzip filesystem compression.  I can also store 10x the amount of data than your four disk array.

Dang, I can't believe I missed this utility.

This is just an incredible program. Downloading right now.

Dang. No source code, and no PowerPC binaries. :-(

Nah, I still say RAID just doesn't help much for most users. All you need to do is follow the simple instructions to defraggle your hard drive, and then increase power to your hard drive by soldering two Molex connectors' wires together and plugging the combined Molex connector into your drive. Obviously, more electricity means faster spinning and actuator movement! See for yourself my results with the world's most applicable and accurate general-purpose hard drive benchmark for a single WD740GD Raptor!

hdtach_single_raptor.png

Obviously the drive gets very hot after this, so you must use some level of practical cooling such as a few dozen 280W peltier coolers and this heatsink.

I get the same results from a single drive using lzip filesystem compression.  I can also store 10x the amount of data than your four disk array.

I am sure you are, but I hope your joking about that program.

Obviously the drive gets very hot after this, so you must use some level of practical cooling such as a few dozen 280W peltier coolers and this heatsink.

That heatsink is no good - I burned up 3 bananas in 2 weeks, and after 3 unresolved calls to their tech support department, they just hang up on me now. I will never shop from them again.

That heatsink is no good - I burned up 3 bananas in 2 weeks, and after 3 unresolved calls to their tech support department, they just hang up on me now. I will never shop from them again.

Who? Chaquita?

Chaquita banana's have problems with calculating parity, so while good for striping, their numbers crash when using more advanced raid styles. I use strictly Dole's - but only with firmware revision .003 alpha. Version .002 would spontaneously turn into some kind of health food shake, and the granola would do a number on the fans.

Whoa, I was wrong. RAID really is cool! I made 42 FAT16 partitions on my one Raptor and put them all in RAID 0 (using software RAID). That combined with the previous tips above made a huge difference! Take a look!

hdtach_single_raptor_raid0.png

Maximum read speed: 225.9 MB

Minimum read speed: 99.3 MB

Average read speed: 42 MB

Sivar - you should back off on the voltage a tad, the core is starting to leak.

But I don't have the power keptin!

Who? Chaquita?

Brand of bananas.

All those crashed banans will make good banana bread.

Maximum read speed:  225.9 MB

Minimum read speed:  99.3 MB

Average read speed:    42 MB

Well, you found one of the "easter eggs" I suppose. Besides, that value is completely accurate.

Oh my god....eject the core.......EJECT THE CORE!!!!!!!

....Code Riker Alpha Foxtrot Zulu...

-Chris

I am sure you are, but I hope your joking about that program.

:-p