Sign in to follow this  
gaviota

Smart - Imminent Failure !

Today I started getting a "SMART - Imminent failure, backup your data as soon as possible" from my 250GB WD Special Edition.

I know that SMART is supposed to predict hard drive failures, but can anyone explain how it works and how accurate it is?

If you download a tool that will read SMART info, you can see what it records. The last time I had a drive give "imminent failure" warnings, I ended up paying OnTrack several thousand dollars to get my data back. Back up immediatly.

The specific HD manufacturer determines the algorithum used by S.M.A.R.T. They all consider their algorithums to be propriety. However they all agreee that a SMART failure is an acceptable reason for automatic warrentee replacement of the drive.

I strongly suggest that you backup immediately and replace the drive. Don't wait for drive failure (that is the whole purpose of SMART).

Western Digital has an advanced replacement program where they'll send you the replacement drive before you ship them the old one. There's no charge for this, they just need a credit card number in case you never return the failed drive.

If it was my data I wouldn't wait. Back it up instantly. Stop reading these posts and back it up!

Western Digital has an advanced replacement program where they'll send you the replacement drive before you ship them the old one.  There's no charge for this, they just need a credit card number in case you never return the failed drive.

If it was my data I wouldn't wait.  Back it up instantly.  Stop reading these posts and back it up!

A strange thing happened, I took a backup of all the data in the disk, and turned off my PC and went on a business trip for the last couple of days.

Tonight, when I returned, I was going to take the disk out to query the serial number on WD's webpage to see if it is still under warranty, but now the SMART warning is gone, its just no longer there, and the disk is working fine. If I send it back to WD they'll probably not exchange it under warranty because the warning message is no longer there. What can I do?

I'd look at what smartctl -a has to say (piping to some file recommended in case the output gets somewhat longer). There should be at least one SMART value flagged as "failed in past". BTW the serial number can frequently also be found out by querying the drive; smartctl should give it among the other general information.

Go to this link:

Western Digital Diagnostic Utilities - DLG Diagnostic

Download it, get a blank floppy and run it. It will create you a bootable disk. Run off that floppy and run the Extended Test. This will do a Quick Test first, then prompt you with results and asking if you want to continue with the Extended Test. Run both, see what error codes you get. Just because it is no longer showing you SMART errors it doesn't mean you don't have a problem. The utility can read the logs and if you get a failure code you can provide this to the WD Tech Support. With that code you will save a lot of time on the phone with them - they just RMA it then.

Do you run your car with the Check Engine light on, then not get it checked because it went out? :blink: Like everyone else already said - back up your data ASAP!

A strange thing happened, I took a backup of all the data in the disk, and turned off my PC and went on a business trip for the last couple of days.

I think he already backed up the data :)