freeskier17

Please Help Me, Thanks

Hard Drives 

I think im gonna go with 2 800jb's

The hard disk thing seems to be already "fixed" :) 40GB models are getting really old and they're not so good in $/GB.

Also check that you have all the needed cables - ide-cables (80 conductor) for hard disks and DVD burner (I don't know if the DVD drive needs 80 conductor, but 80 conductor is backwards combatible).

And if you're going to do that video editing, won't you need firewire interface? Either as integrated on motherboard or as a PCI card.

And as 2Old2works? already stated, people on this board is never going to be fed up with computer stuff / helping others.

ok, thats where i get real lost. Whats the firewire thing? I thought the chord for the camera just plugged into a usb port. And those other cables u mentioned :blink: i have no idea what those are. But another question on this same subject. I've heard some people say stuff like, they plugged the cable in the wrong way and fried something. is that easy to do? how should i avoid that?

Well - you probably get the ide-cables with your motherboard. Just one thing to check.

So you need couple of these:

http://storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd...onfCable80.html

to connect your parallel ata (ide) devices like hard disks and DVD drive. (you can connect two devices to one cable)

I think most video cameras have firewire interface, haven't seen any USB-video cameras, but I guess that's perfectly possible. Check to make sure. USB and firewire connectors look a bit like each other.

About destroying electronics... Connecting cables wrong way isn't too easy nowadays. I wouldn't worry about that.

First off, are the ide cables the like red, yellow and black ones? And also these 80-cables or whatever, they go from the device to the mobo right? And also, are u saying i have to buy these 80-cables or is that just if they dont come with the mobo or whatever?

One really important question that i need answered real quick. Is there anything wrong with this DVD burner? Cuz im gonna go ahead and buy it and put it in my pos computer, today hopefully. I know my computer wont be able to handle it to its full potential but wont it still work? just alot slower than normal.

NEC 8X Black Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2510A BLK, OEM BULK

Model# ND-2510A BLK

Item # N82E16827152023

Specifications:

Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 32X CD-R, 16X CD-RW

Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM

Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE

Buffer: 2MB

OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE

Features: Support for writing DVD+R DL; Vertical operation possible, anti-dust seal.

Packaging: OEM Bulk Pack (No Software Included)

(again its on newegg if u really care to look)

I've seen it recommended in various (reputable) places. The odd report of problems with NEC drives in general (not sure if it was specifically the 2510), but that's common with any popular drive, and not necessarily the drive's fault.

It's possible there are better (quality/value) options out there, but the 2510 is a pretty safe buy.

You can check out http://www.cdrinfo.com and http://www.cdrlabs.com if you want an in-depth review.

First off, are the ide cables the like red, yellow and black ones?  And also these 80-cables or whatever, they go from the device to the mobo right?  And also, are u saying i have to buy these 80-cables or is that just if they dont come with the mobo or whatever?

Most ide-cables look like:

http://storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd.../confCable.html

http://storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd...onfCable80.html

But there are also rounded ones in any color. Yes, these are the ones that connect the device to your morherboard (ide-controller). It is possible that you get one or two of these cables with motherboard, but it is also possible that you don't (with some S-ATA motherboards you will get only sata cable).

yeah sorry but nevermind about that^ buying the burner thing. I was going to, but then i saw that its not compatible with windows 98. and right now i really dont feel like dropping the money for xp along with the burner. I guess I'll just save up and buy it all at the same time. And so the ide cables and the ata cables are the same thing right? And since im gonna use 2 hard drives and the CD burner, i will need two ide/ata cables right?

yeah sorry but nevermind about that^ buying the burner thing.  I was going to, but then i saw that its not compatible with windows 98. and right now i really dont feel like dropping the money for xp along with the burner.  I guess I'll just save up and buy it all at the same time.  And so the ide cables and the ata cables are the same thing right?  And since im gonna use 2 hard drives and the CD burner, i will need two ide/ata cables right?

I do not think you have to buy those IDE Cables, Most if not all Motherboard you're buying should come with at less 2 IDE cables & 1 FDB for your floppy. Beside, they're so cheap these day if you have to buy one and your local dealers should got them forsale next to nothing.

Good luck and have fun.

Regards,

2Old2Works?

xbit labs review of 160GB drives

I think based on that I'd switch to Maxtor's for your big drive, which is I assume the capture drive. For your small drive, which I assume is your boot drive and where you would install the software to, I'd want something small and fast. That 36GB raptor you had above was real nice, but if that is too much money for you then I'd recommend a samsung drive.

And one of the biggest thing a new builder needs to worry about is static.

You need to be grounded when working on the assembly and preferably be in a low static environment.

Also I didn't see a floppy drive listed in your parts list.

Maybe you already have one or you just don't want one.

And capturing video through USB is not a good idea.

I assume you have a DV type video camera?

For that you should use the firewire port.

Some motherboards come with them but probably not the one you picked.

So you'll need a firewire card which will give you probably 2 ports in the back of the pc to hook up firewire devices (like extenal hard drives and DV video cameras).

Here is a link to rad's site where he built a machine for NLE video editing.

Probably a lot more than you need but maybe some good advice for you.